• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brew City Shooter's Supply ??

range rat

What's up with Brew City Shooter's Supply ??

Mike Allan said he plans to make the store, now called Brew City Shooter's Supply, more selective by requiring anyone who wants to buy a gun to become a store member. To become a member, customers must demonstrate knowledge of firearms and shooting proficiency, Allan said. If they cannot, they must take a class to buy a gun, he said.

Did he sell out to the MPD ??

Oh well, since i got my sig p-250 from little wolf, an my daughter will soon be in the market for ruger-22, well you get the drift. might as well make it a family thing..

AaronS

That place (now Brew City) is just the worst place I have ever shopped or shot at.

The range has no air flow, the "sales" people are rude, and don't seam to know much about guns in the first place.
I guess it runs in the family...

I will never return.

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
They want me to buy a membership? Is rather give my money to Gander, and I'm not a big fan of them either

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

AaronS

If you feel the need to join a "club" I can tell you that Daniel Boone is still taking memberships. The first year is a little pricey, but I think it is worth it in the long run.
It is a great club, with a lot of great members. We even have fishing...

www.dbcl.org

MKEgal

I've heard nice things about Daniel Boone, but having been up there a couple times I'm not convinced. Maybe I need more exposure. It will be lots nicer when the pistol range is covered.
(But I have hundreds of full-size targets that I wouldn't be allowed to use there, & there doesn't seem to be any allowance for anything other than standing at a table, shooting at a target. And they don't allow carry in the clubhouse.)
Maybe it's just the current leadership, & getting a few better people elected could solve some of the problems.

I went there once with a student only to find that there was a handwritten note by the sign-in book saying that the ranges were closed (except for the rifle range that's way off to the left). My student had checked the website that morning for announcements of closing & found nothing.

When I emailed the board members whose contact info I could find, asking that they post notice of closings on the website main page &/or calendar, I got a rather snippy response basically saying that they'll do whatever they want & don't care who it inconvenences. Can't be bothered to save their members the hassle of making arrangements (even if it's just for themselves), only to arrive & find that the ranges are closed.

Last edited:

AaronS

I've heard nice things about Daniel Boone, but having been up there a couple times I'm not convinced. Maybe I need more exposure. It will be lots nicer when the pistol range is covered.
(But I have hundreds of full-size targets that I wouldn't be allowed to use there, & there doesn't seem to be any allowance for anything other than standing at a table, shooting at a target. And they don't allow carry in the clubhouse.)
Maybe it's just the current leadership, & getting a few better people elected could solve some of the problems.

I went there once with a student only to find that there was a handwritten note by the sign-in book saying that the ranges were closed (except for the rifle range that's way off to the left). My student had checked the website that morning for announcements of closing & found nothing.

When I emailed the board members whose contact info I could find, asking that they post notice of closings on the website main page &/or calendar, I got a rather snippy response basically saying that they'll do whatever they want & don't care who it inconvenences. Can't be bothered to save their members the hassle of making arrangements (even if it's just for themselves), only to arrive & find that the ranges are closed.

The range on the far left is the Aux. range, long guns as well as handguns are allowed. The member you went with should have known that.
The berms were raised about three feet not to long ago, and I am going to guess that was when you went.
I am not sure if the hand gun range will ever get a cover over it, but I will ask at the next meeting.
We still can not carry loaded guns in the main building/bar (we had an AD not to long ago), but I know I am pushing for that to change.

With over 1200 people shot in metro chicago, I am just happy to have a place to keep my skills sharp.

Garence Lee

Brew City Shooter's Supply in league with Milwaukee Police [Big Brother]

I suggest:

DO NOT go to Badger Guns [now Brew City Shooter's Supply].

Even if you don't buy a gun there, just using their firing range, THEY WILL REPORT YOU to the Milwaukee police for background checks which also enters your name & address into the Milwaukee Police's system FOREVER!

Nowhere on their website do I see a statement to the above effect.

You are REQUIRED to [A] Pay $25.00 for a "Membership" and "Show proficiency" with your gun, meaning use their gun range.
They, in turn, will then report you to the Milwaukee Police Department!:(

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwau...under-membership-model-k9696q4-164054036.html

http://www.ammoland.com/2012/08/02/...eports-law-abiding-customers-to-local-police/

Do I foresee a class-action lawsuit on the horizon for invasion of privacy?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I suggest:

DO NOT go to Badger Guns [now Brew City Shooter's Supply].

Even if you don't buy a gun there, just using their firing range, THEY WILL REPORT YOU to the Milwaukee police for background checks which also enters your name & address into the Milwaukee Police's system FOREVER!

Nowhere on their website do I see a statement to the above effect.

You are REQUIRED to [A] Pay $25.00 for a "Membership" and "Show proficiency" with your gun, meaning use their gun range.
They, in turn, will then report you to the Milwaukee Police Department!:(

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwau...under-membership-model-k9696q4-164054036.html

http://www.ammoland.com/2012/08/02/...eports-law-abiding-customers-to-local-police/

Do I foresee a class-action lawsuit on the horizon for invasion of privacy?

Doubt that there is an invasion of privacy issue when you voluntarily give them your information and agree to their terms. Does the paper work you sign give them the right to conduct a background check?

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Doubt that there is an invasion of privacy issue when you voluntarily give them your information and agree to their terms. Does the paper work you sign give them the right to conduct a background check?

I spoke with an employee yesterday about this and was informed that since the business opened as Brew City....everyone that uses the range reads and signs a document that explicitly states at the bottom of the form where you sign that all information on the document will be provided to the police for a background check of that individual. So...the 8,800 or so this year have willingly signed their privacy rights over.

As to the previous owner(s) providing customers information to the police I can't say if it was with the customers knowledge or not.

MKEgal

Apparently the latest word is that if you have a cc license they won't report you to West Milwaukee PD [different entity from Milwaukee PD] for wanting to use their range or buy a gun.
I'm still not interested.

AaronS said:
The range on the far left is the Aux. range, long guns as well as handguns are allowed.
The member you went with should have known that.
He did, but when we went over there it was already crowded with people using rifles.
Much too loud & crowded for teaching, & we'd have to stand back further.
So we decided to try another day.
I do like the target carriers at the pistol range though. They seem really hard to injure.

M

McX

i realize it doesnt directly relate, but to keep the yakkin going; i watched that extreme pawn shop show last night. i see they post no guns, but they carry guns- hypocrits. i watched the empisode where they went to a gun store, ready to spend some big bucks, and got yelled at and tossed out for asking about a deal. nothing worse than an 'uptight' gun store clerk, and maybe they got their come-up-ance?

NoTolerance

Cry me a river...

WOUNDED WARRIOR EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELLED.
Hello again, Mike here, owner of Brew City Shooter’s Supply Inc. Congratulations to members of a certain political organization, which I will leave nameless, on exercising a successful smear campaign. These selfish rabble rousers went to such lengths to tarnish me, that through hate mail and intimidation they were able to get the House of Harley to back out of my charitable event for the Wounded Warrior Project. This was not an event to benefit Brew City Shooters or House of Harley; it was for our wounded veterans. This is not only a shame, but an insult to our veteran community. As I and half my staff are combat veterans, we are personally offended by their actions. I may only have 15 months experience in Iraq, but I will always be a combat engineer and proud veteran.

Despite this turn of events, we would still like to invite all who would have attended to come out anyway and support our wounded veterans. As before, we will donate half of all range proceeds for the weekend to the Wounded Warrior Project. It is my hope that the real shooting community will come together and support this worthy cause.

M

McX

edited for accuracy(?):

Congratulations to members of a certain political organization, which I will leave nameless, on exercising a successful smear campaign.

smear? no, if it was anyone on here, they were simply making us all aware of the truth.

This is not only a shame, but an insult to our veteran community.

have they polled the veteran community to see if they support undisclosed, or obscure language, background checks?

As I and half my staff are combat veterans,

I ate at a Culvers once in Madison, though i know it does not compare.

It is my hope that the real shooting community will come together and support this worthy cause.

apparently we are all just optical illusions, perhaps holographs. it's easy to place the blame elsewhere when the truth is exposed. their complaint has no direct tie to public acceptance of any event they were planning. one point is accurate, it is indeed true a smear campaign is under way, but against whom depends upon your point of view. i doubt i will ever set foot in that facility, i have other, more friendly places to go if needed.

NoTolerance

A protest is being organized for August 18-19:

https://www.facebook.com/events/512001575492612/

It recently became public knowledge that Brew City Shooters Supply (formerly Badger Guns) in West Allis has been collecting personally identifiable information from any and all people that used their range since 2009. BCSS then handed this information over to the West Milwaukee Police Department. WMPD used this information to run criminal background checks on more than 25,000 BG/BCSS customers.

BCSS has been unapologetic about this invasion of privacy and refuses to change their policy. They continue to collect information to hand over to WMPD.

August 18-19th, BCSS was planning to hold an event to help support the Wounded Warriors Project, but as a result of their actions, lost their primary sponsor and have since canceled the event. They are still encouraging people to come for that weekend and have pledged to donate HALF of their collected range fees for the day to the WWP.

Instead of letting people sacrifice their privacy under the pretense of helping veterans, let's join together for a peaceful protest and let people know exactly what BCSS is doing.

Let's encourage those people that would have donated to the WWP to protect their privacy and donate to the WWP through us instead. We will do our own collection and see that 100% of the funds collected go to the Wounded Warriors Project instead of the 50% BCSS planned on offering.

More will follow as we work out the details of this protest.

Saturday, August 18, 10am - 5pm
Sunday, August 19, 10am - 4pm

Please invite any of your friends that would like to participate.

Also, if you're comfortable doing so, we'd encourage you to exercise your 2nd Amendment Rights during this protest by openly carrying a firearm, so long as you are not a prohibited person.

NoTolerance

Update:

Nik Clark said:
Update on Brew City Shooters Supply: Just got a call from the owner Mike Allan. Effective immediately they will no longer be sharing customer names of any customers who use their range with any government entity. Your name will never leave the store. He said he is going to type up a formal press release later today.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Makes Me Wonder If Other Ranges Have Done Something Similar??

Good, and open records requests should be done to ensure nothing continues.

I still say it's a bad mark to have done this to begin with.

I wonder if other ranges have done this as well without knowledge of the customers??

NoTolerance

I wonder if other ranges have done this as well without knowledge of the customers??

I'd say it's possible, but unlikely. BCSS was under intense scrutiny from Milwaukee and West Milwaukee PD, who were both going out of their way to harass them and attempting to shut them down. I believe BCSS caved under pressure from these departments.