• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

burningman is on BLM land, claim its a real city for week, yet ban guns totally -

chrsjhnsn

Can they do this? I walk around outside during the festival and get angry stares from BLM feds but they didn't say anything last yr.

It seems to me they have no basis for claiming they are a real Nevada city yet ban guns completely.

vegaspassat

I've often wondered about this too, I've heard that they banned firearms in years past. Can they do it because you have to pay to get into the "city"?

chrsjhnsn

that's what they say, but I wonder if it indeed legal. So many people just accept them saying it is at face value because it sounds logical. Like when people think you cant carry inside of a bar

vegaspassat

I wonder if they pay BLM to use the land? If that's the case then technically they are renting it, much like a hotel room right?

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
Geek Week is NOT a city, town or CDP of any sort.

It is a privately-run event, which takes place on land leased from BLM. As such, they have the right to set rules controlling access during the period of that lease.

The airport where I live when I'm in Nevada is likewise on leased BLM land, and the issue of controlled access has come up a couple of times. We won each time.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...It is a privately-run event, which takes place on land leased from BLM. As such, they have the right to set rules controlling access during the period of that lease...

This is my understanding as well.

That also means only trespass laws apply. No firearms laws.

You're not allowed to have a motorized cart there, either, right? Same laws would apply to the people who violate that rule.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I'm going to say this in the nicest, most amiable way I know. You are such an idiot... (Now, where is the smilie that lets me get away with that?)

Burning Man makes millions of dollars. It's never about the freedom or the art or the drugs...

Okay, maybe it's a little about the drugs,

But they make a LOT of money out there. But the money is tied to the image (well, and the drugs) and the image doesn't fit with the guns.

Last edited:

Merlin

I'm going to say this in the nicest, most amiable way I know. You are such an idiot... (Now, where is the smilie that lets me get away with that?)

Yeah, you got me there. Although, just because the event organizers are money-grubbing bastards, the attendees are still attending it because of it's image, not because they want to donate to the moneygrubbing bastards.

The organizers of Comdex were all about making money too, but that doesn't mean it wasn't worth attending for the computer stuff.

The reality with BurningMan is that the organizers know if they allowed guns, some bad **** would probably happen, because of the drug presence. So, in actual fact, for our agenda, probably best that they don't give the rest of us a bad name. :)

Yeah, I know, I know. I see what I did there.

chrsjhnsn

burningman is horrible, HORRIBLE!!! Free beer, nekkid women, non stop party.....Don't Go!

Actually it is a mixed bag, the worse part of it is they are terribly naive politically, however they also pump huge amounts of much need cash into the local economy up here north of Reno.

Lots of the folks doing the work behind the scenes are gun owners and violate policy by bringing in guns, most of the paying party people however are all obamasheeple and are shocked by Nevada's freedom.

Most of the gun friendly folks work for burningman yet still believe the obumbler BS ....

They can not even connect the dots, the Obama admin appoints the head of the BLM, the BLM has limited the amount of folks that can attend - less money for everyone out here, less money for burningman owners, yet they still all believe the hype.

Funny enough, I walk around outside the party OC and the hippies don't even seem to notice, the ones that do seem to think I'm a cop.
The BLM Rangers they import from CA to help out-they give all sorts of mean stares but I guess they've been told to keep their mouth shut.
I'll drink at the bar ( soda ) OC, eat at the restaurant OC and walk around OC and I get a few double takes from cops/BLM rangers but the party people are oblivious.

Merlin

most of the paying party people however are all obamasheeple and are shocked by Nevada's freedom.

It's amazing how people from Commufornia can enjoy the freedom that can be enjoyed in NV, but never actually connect the dots that they return home to their own state, and relinquish so many rights on the way. How can they miss the giant elephant in the room?