• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Combs trial starts today. News and updates.

Tucker6900

I think he means, that testimony was introduced into the transcripts by the defense that if they need to they have cause to appeal. It's important to enter stuff into the official record that can be used later.

MOC's attorneys did this in the CAD case in regards to a few constitutional issues, that generally help with appeals.

Gotcha! Thanks for the info.

Im still working on my legal beagle, brain file cabinet. Its getting there!!!! Anywho..enough about me!

Any updates?

ken243

still deliberating. Jury came back with a question a few minutes ago but they are back to deliberating.

DocWalker

I'm really nervous for him and hope for the best.

My questions is how can anyone holster a M1 rifle? Using a sling and having it over your back is the closest thing that can be done to being called holstered on one's person. I do belive that is how he was carrying it, so stupid it wasn't like he was carring it in an assault fashion.

scot623

Judge and Prosecutor focused solely on the definition of brandishing which includes the words "ostentatious display". Ostentatious does not have a negative connotation therefore giving the jury an easy path to convict on that point. 3 jurors are attorneys.

ken243

scott are you there? I heard they brought up the AG opinion on OC. Did that help you think?

Last edited:

DocWalker

Judge and Prosecutor focused solely on the definition of brandishing which includes the words "ostentatious display". Ostentatious does not have a negative connotation therefore giving the jury an easy path to convict on that point. 3 jurors are attorneys.

How else can you carry a rifle in a less ostentatious way than slung on your back? Ostentatious to me means in his hands either pointing it at or waving it around at people.

scot623

scott are you there? I heard they brought up the AG opinion on OC. Did that help you think?

I left recently. The AG opinion mentioned "display ostentatiously" so look at what ostentatious means.

os·ten·ta·tious   [os-ten-tey-shuhs, -tuhn-] Show IPA
adjective
characterized by or given to pretentious or conspicuous show in an attempt to impress others: an ostentatious dresser.
(of actions, manner, qualities exhibited, etc.) intended to attract notice: Lady Bountiful's ostentatious charity.

Open carry attracts notice. OC'ing a long gun certainly attracts notice. Based on that very simple definition, he could be found guilty.

ken243

verdict on one count. On brandishing a verdict is reached.

Last edited:

DocWalker

It doesn't matter what ostentatious means to you, the law is based on what the dictionary says. Unfortunately.

Agree but shouldn't the cops be charge also as their cars, lights, guns, and uniforms are all ostentatious also.

Why isn't anyone that has a fancy car not arrested as they can kill with it and most drive them to get attention also.

ken243

Guys I am giving you this information as soon as I get it. I am 8000 miles away via Skype doing this trying to help out. You know when I know.

ken243

Jury is excused until morning. Deliberations will continue then. I will be back with my contact to get you update information tomorrow. Sorry guys.

HKcarrier

Jury is excused until morning. Deliberations will continue then. I will be back with my contact to get you update information tomorrow. Sorry guys.

Thanks a lot for the updates... Nervous night for Mr. Combs.

According to Judge Aquilina in Ingham county, brandishing is a 2-pronged offense... the act and the intent. Did Mr. Combs intend to threaten or intimidate people? Doubtful. We'll see what happens!

Last edited:

ken243

It can still be argued he is 18 and his only choice for protection was to carry a long gun..... Strong if you ask me.

scot623

Agree but shouldn't the cops be charge also as their cars, lights, guns, and uniforms are all ostentatious also.

Why isn't anyone that has a fancy car not arrested as they can kill with it and most drive them to get attention also.

Police officers are specifically excluded in the brandishing statute. Your car argument makes no sense because the brandishing statute clearly speaks about firearms only.