• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Combs trial starts today. News and updates.

TheQ

Credit to MOC for helping with this too

Not to shy away from credit, but we can't take any...except the years of tireless work we've done in the past ...maybe it educated and made an impression on the jury before this case even began?

Our focus of advocacy is the lawful open carry of a holstered handgun. As such, we weren't directly involved in this case.

MKEgal

At approx. 4pm jury sends note to judge asking "Is failure to provide ID sufficient to prove breach of peace?"
:banghead: :cuss: :mad:
Does [the police not knowing who you are] = [creating a disturbance] ?
I don't think so.
And I find it disturbing that anyone could think so.

detroit_fan said:
Credit to whomever talked some sense into that anti, and credit to her for doing what's right even if she doesn't agree with it.
My lawyer says that in a criminal trial it takes all the jurors to convict, so if one has reasonable doubt the defendant is found not guilty.
So in this case, it didn't matter what the 'crochity old lady' thought, as long as at least one of the jurors had common sense.
There could have been 6 people voting to "teach the kid a lesson", and one person standing up for civil rights.

protias

MM4S450.jpg

Backpack_sm.jpg

Bag-NC-2919-2.jpg

148_003_Back.jpg

What are the names of these? I want a few.

Not guilty all counts!

Fantastic! :monkey:banana:

TheQ

I don't think so.

My lawyer says that in a criminal trial it takes all the jurors to convict, so if one has reasonable doubt the defendant is found not guilty.
So in this case, it didn't matter what the 'crochity old lady' thought, as long as at least one of the jurors had common sense.
There could have been 6 people voting to "teach the kid a lesson", and one person standing up for civil rights.

You must have understood your lawyer wrong or he's incompetent.

Any verdict must be unanimous in a criminal trial, otherwise the jury is hung, a mistrial declared, and the prosecution can retry the case with a new jury.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I asked him at the first event. He said he just wanted to be cleared and legal fees paid. Not sure how he feels now. Personally I would go for it all. $500k plus

I did too. I told him what would really be humorous is to have them write a check every year for his college tuition, books, and room/board. That way every year they would be reminded how idiotic the PD is.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I don't think so.

You must have understood your lawyer wrong or he's incompetent.

Any verdict must be unanimous in a criminal trial, otherwise the jury is hung, a mistrial declared, and the prosecution can retry the case with a new jury.

Q, a little harsh, don't you think. Actually, the number required to render a verdict depends on the jurisdiction. For Sean's situation, the Q is correct. For MKEgal, her lawyer is correct for her jurisdiction, which I believe is Wisconsin.

DocWalker

I would really like to see the cops on the news in a public place not only appoligize but have to admit they don't know their jobs and are sorry for abusing the trust and authority his bosses place with them.

They should have to do this while holding their hats in their hands.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
I would really like to see the cops on the news in a public place not only appoligize but have to admit they don't know their jobs and are sorry for abusing the trust and authority his bosses place with them.

They should have to do this while holding their hats in their hands.

they should also have to re-swear their oath to the constitution

TheQ

Q, a little harsh, don't you think. Actually, the number required to render a verdict depends on the jurisdiction. For Sean's situation, the Q is correct. For MKEgal, her lawyer is correct for her jurisdiction, which I believe is Wisconsin.

I'm sorry, I should have realized there was a jurisdictional difference.

In Michigan, the only trials that don't require a unanimous verdict are civil cases.

detroit_fan

Not to shy away from credit, but we can't take any...except the years of tireless work we've done in the past ...maybe it educated and made an impression on the jury before this case even began?

Our focus of advocacy is the lawful open carry of a holstered handgun. As such, we weren't directly involved in this case.

my mistake, for some reason i thought moc helped with the lawyer or something. but you are correct, helping desensitize the public on OC acceptance for these past years almost undoubtedly helped the case overall

stainless1911

Banned

+1. This victory is no doubt, in part on MOC, as well as the rest of us who OC daily.

they should also have to re-swear their oath to the constitution

+1 and lol.

stainless1911

Banned
Sean, you're a reasonable guy, I figure thats partly why you dont really want to sue, but there's a time and place for that, and this is it. The only way to ensure that they don't do this again, is to sue. Thats how our system works, thats how it was set up. It isn't rubbing salt in the wound, it is finishing what you (rightfully) started, and setting a wrong to a right. You will now have to cover your legal expenses. Something to think about.

Consider what they were willing to do to you and your property, having no regard for you or your rights.