• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fair to add steps to keep fairgoers safe

NoTolerance

I'm absolutely *stunned* the JS actually acknowledged the racial elements of the attack in that article after all they did to avoid it when it actually happened.

Trip20

The "protection" described in the article equates to feel-good measures designed to mitigate revenue loss resulting from last years debacle. For me, there is no intelligent reason to attend an event held in the confines of a criminal infested cesspool. Stupid places... stupid people... stupid things...

smithman

Interesting that they did acknowledge that the youths were black. There is nothing racist about reporting the facts, although the JS seems to think so. It was the same reporting issue with the flash mob at Mayfair last year.

You are defenseless inside the fair but stand a chance at being rescued (there are police on patrol). You are most defenseless walking to your car where the police are not generally present. After all, this was where Mayor Barrett the HERO was attacked. But he interjected himself into a situation.

My gun exists to protect me and my family.

Horseman

I will not be attending this year, I am not as concerned for my welfare while in the confines of the event, it is the walk back to the car that concerns me and I will not do it unarmed.

True Dat. We follow the Mr. Miyagi rule: the best way to avoid a punch (or an assault) is to not be there.

E6chevron

The attacks at State Fair in 2011, did not involve weapons. That is good. However, searching purses and bags at the entrances for weapons, will not prevent people from starting fights, and hitting others with their fists, or shoving them into things.

The cameras could make it easier to identify the exact location of the start of a problem, and identify the perpetrators. It would also help in coordinating law enforcement responding to the mob, as it moves.

These types of attacks are difficult to prevent. They are also difficult to defend against: even if you were armed with a handgun, shooting at an attacker on a crowded fairgrounds, is a tricky response. It is also diffficult to establish and maintain that 20 foot "attacker-free" zone.