• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Well, that's nice....

thunderbolt

And for my first post....

Anyway, here in Yakima County, or the East side of Washington State, for that matter, OC isn't a real big deal. However, I thought to get an official opinion.

So I wrote off a quick email to YCSO, and got a response the next day.

It was a pleasant surprise....

After the initial compulsory warning the people will eye with suspicion those carrying firearms openly (We're trying to change that!), OC is legal in Washington State. (I knew that...).

The patrol lieutenant also mentioned off limit areas, like courthouses and such, which I knew also... But he also mentioned that banks were off limits too. (Something I need to investigate further and get information together and possibly submit to him.)

However, the best part was that he mentioned that he was a "fan of legally armed citizens"... Win! And that we were much less likely to be victimized by "thugs"

Good to know that, although tempered with a bit of caution, the attitude towards OC is positive.

So come on over to Yakima County, and bring yer guns!

I'm sure some of you already know most of this info, but I just wanted to share my experience.

T.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Welcome to OCDO! I'm sure you have read a few posts and realize you will need a thick skin. Comments are usually not personal, but most people here have "strong" opinions. Also the YCSO was wrong about carrying in banks, I carry in my Wells Fargo and Chase banks all the time. (not very often I actually go inside, but always armed with a very visible full size 17 round 9mm). Banks are not federal buildings, they are privately owned business. Can they say you can't come in - yes, but any privately owned business can have a no gun policy and ask you to leave. You/me/we may not agree, but should I ever be told to not come in with my gun (hasn't happened yet, knocking on wood) I will comply and just take my business elsewhere.
Carry on!
For all new posters I offer this:

Attachments

• firemanoutfit.jpg
    firemanoutfit.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 145

hermannr

Banks are not off limits, not even the so called "Federal" Reserve Bank (not federal at all, it is private). As banks are private corporations, they can restrict or allow (I actually disagree with this as they are open to the "general public") as per their individual corporate policies.

Read RCW 9.41.300...that is the written LAW, and that is what counts.

GreatWhiteLlama

And for my first post....

Anyway, here in Yakima County, or the East side of Washington State, for that matter, OC isn't a real big deal. However, I thought to get an official opinion.

So I wrote off a quick email to YCSO, and got a response the next day.

It was a pleasant surprise....

After the initial compulsory warning the people will eye with suspicion those carrying firearms openly (We're trying to change that!), OC is legal in Washington State. (I knew that...).

The patrol lieutenant also mentioned off limit areas, like courthouses and such, which I knew also... But he also mentioned that banks were off limits too. (Something I need to investigate further and get information together and possibly submit to him.)

However, the best part was that he mentioned that he was a "fan of legally armed citizens"... Win! And that we were much less likely to be victimized by "thugs"

Good to know that, although tempered with a bit of caution, the attitude towards OC is positive.

So come on over to Yakima County, and bring yer guns!

I'm sure some of you already know most of this info, but I just wanted to share my experience.

T.

lol

And for your second post, you should get his "official opinion" on burkenstocks and socks.

Oh, and cupcakes! I like cupcakes...

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
What the Lt of YCSO told you is more or less true but when it comes to banks or any privately owned business they have a right to restrict possession on their premises and at times many will try and get them to change their minds.

Remember that State Preemption is a restriction upon Cities, Towns and Municipalities to restrict firearms possession outside what is prohibited by law, not a private citizen or business restricting possession.

Lammo

"Anyway, here in Yakima County, or the East side of Washington State, for that matter, OC isn't a real big deal."

I generally refer to us here in God's country as the "Dry Side" while those "over there" are on the "Wet Side". Welcome aboard.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Since I moved back to Yakima close to 4 years ago it has gone from full scale response with a call to Starbucks at Fred Meyers of 6 patrol cars for a man, yes a man with a holstered gun buying, wait for it, Coffee! though he was gone when they arrived and none of the employees knew nothing about any of it.
To an idiot manipulating his gun and magazine outside the Social Security Officer which was taken out of the vehicle at gun point with numerous officers and proned out then later was left to go about his business.
I had talked with the Police Chief about these matters and shortly after and currently many if not the majority of officers are asking more detail before responding to (MWAG) Man With A Gun calls.

I had a new restaurant owner call on me sitting and eating breakfast and they did not even show up, my curiosity was peaked when I saw the waitress looking a little surprised and his continued pacing looking out the window and making a statement as to he was waiting for a couple of his buddies to show up lol.
Later he got to know me better when he saw me on TV on issues relating to firearms in Yakima and then finding others that were legally carrying as well.

There will always be that chance of a negative encounter with law enforcement, we need to do our part to assist in a favorable encounter if possible.

thunderbolt

Just wondering what would prompt you to contact the sheriffs office to find out how they felt about you doing something that is legal

I call it "operational intelligence". I know what my rights are. My email was to see if THEY know what my rights are. I wasn't asking for permission, only to gain knowledge for a proper defense should the need arise. Period. And, I was pleasantly surprised.

"Anyway, here in Yakima County, or the East side of Washington State, for that matter, OC isn't a real big deal."

I generally refer to us here in God's country as the "Dry Side" while those "over there" are on the "Wet Side". Welcome aboard.

Agreed! And thanks!

lol

And for your second post, you should get his "official opinion" on burkenstocks and socks.

Oh, and cupcakes! I like cupcakes...

I try not to feed the trolls. But I do love cupcakes!

Lovenox

What the Lt of YCSO told you is more or less true but when it comes to banks or any privately owned business they have a right to restrict possession on their premises and at times many will try and get them to change their minds.

Remember that State Preemption is a restriction upon Cities, Towns and Municipalities to restrict firearms possession outside what is prohibited by law, not a private citizen or business restricting possession.

What if it's a private function on public property? Has that been hammered out? I saw some traffic on that in some other thread....

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
Welcome to OCDO! The bank thing has been beaten to death, so I won't go there. BUT, you might want to keep in mind that you shouldn't request legal information from a LEO. I know their job is to uphold the law, but they have so many to cover that it's impossible for them to know them all, just like it's impossible for them to protect everyone. It's just too bi of a job.

That being said, since we focus mainly on the carry laws on this forum, you're more likely to get the correct information here. HOWEVER, it's always best to go to the source, so bone up on section 9.41 of the Revised Code of Washington (RCW). The guys here will be more than happy to help you figure out any parts you don't quite understand.

Also, be sure to read the FAQs in the sticky section of this forum. Not only wil they answer many of your questions, but you'll find a lot of source references there that you can follow up on.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

What if it's a private function on public property? Has that been hammered out? I saw some traffic on that in some other thread....

I do not know of any case law concerning this issue, then with the concept of a school having control of a park area for their function then I believe state law prohibits possession. If a citizen or business has control of a public area I believe it would become a trespass issue if one refused to leave when asked.

amzbrady

Just wondering what would prompt you to contact the sheriffs office to find out how they felt about you doing something that is legal

I call it "operational intelligence". I know what my rights are. My email was to see if THEY know what my rights are. I wasn't asking for permission, only to gain knowledge for a proper defense should the need arise. Period. And, I was pleasantly surprised.

Agreed! And thanks!

I try not to feed the trolls. But I do love cupcakes!

facepalm tacticle.jpg