Thread: OC Article - All kinds of wrong.

OC Article - All kinds of wrong.

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/...aspx?id=774460

"Under the open carry law, you must have it registered in your name, and it has to be clearly visible. A person is not allowed to carry a firearm in a pistol-free zone which include areas like hospitals, colleges, bars, churches and banks."

Just another case of Law Enforcement proffering Opinion over Law....
    Be safe, be prepared, and carry on!

Alle Ihre Basisstation jetzt zu uns gehören

I've been looking for that "Open Carry" law for years and I still can't find it...

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    I've been looking for that "Open Carry" law for years and I still can't find it...
    It's probably a sub section of the law that requires payment of federal income tax.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    It blows my mind when someone references the act of open carry with it being a "law"
    Last edited by Yance; 07-11-2012 at 05:33 PM.
    The worst weapon is the human mind, its created and done things far worse than a gun can, has, or ever will. Its the human mind that tells the gun what to do and animates the inanimate object.

With all these gun control laws in place I have yet to find a single one that has saved someones life, but I can find hundreds of stories where a gun has.

Banned

Police officials say it's safer to have a concealed pistol license.

There's more to that statement than meets the eye.

Didn't mention concealment though, just the license.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 07-11-2012 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    It's probably a sub section of the law that requires payment of federal income tax.
    I realize this is OT, but this has driven me mad for years. The clearest way I can see the system works is this:

1) The tax code requires employers to withhold taxes:

(a) Requirement of withholding
    (1) In general
    Except as otherwise provided in this section, every employer making payment of wages shall deduct and withhold upon such wages a tax determined in accordance with tables or computational procedures prescribed by the Secretary.
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/3402

2) Then the tax code requires the individual to rectify the accounting by requiring the filing of a 1040 return. Sorry but I'm not sure where this section is atm. ETA: this may be part of it, but this section applies to a "person" (not an employer or employee) whereas if one receives wages from an employer, one isn't then liable to pay the tax per the above language:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/7203

3) The code also defines "employee". On an initial read it sounds like it only applies to employees of governments, but upon further inspection it applies to an agency or instrumentality of governments which I think they use to include any corporation, LLC, or other state-licensed businesses (yes, they have used the word itself in the definition):

(c) Employee
    For purposes of this chapter, the term “employee” includes an officer, employee, or elected official of the United States, a State, or any political subdivision thereof, or the District of Columbia, or any agency or instrumentality of any one or more of the foregoing. The term “employee” also includes an officer of a corporation.
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/3401

I'm less familiar with the language for self-employment taxes, but that's contained within Title 26 as well (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/te...le-A/chapter-2). Herein, the language states the tax will be "imposed", but doesn't say anything to the effect that the individual "must pay". Of course, one could look to Article I, Section 8 for the supposed authority to issue said tax, but this ignores the argument that such would constitute a "direct tax" not to mention the argument that the US Constitution doesn't currently have any authority over any living individuals anyway.

Anyway, it's all food for thought (discussion in the proper venues).
    Last edited by CoonDog; 07-12-2012 at 12:14 AM.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    "Police officials say it's safer to have a concealed pistol license."
    ...and yet they don't. does that make them dumb for not following their own advice?
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    ...and yet they don't. does that make them dumb for not following their own advice?
    Yes.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    Yes.
    Absolutely.
    If police unions really, and I mean REALLY cared about their constituency, they'd insist that officers wore plain clothes and carried concealed so that
    1) criminals wouldn't know who was really a cop, it could be the person next to them and so they'd be more hesitant to commit a crime
    2) without an openly carried arm, there would be no reason for said criminal to target the person next to them
    3) with a concealed arm, on the rare instance that an officer might be confused with a non-armed citizen, the cop could "get the drop" on the criminal who probably won't be already holding a loaded gun on anyone.

C'mon, it's not like shiny badges, openly carried lethal and non-lethal weapons, distinctive clothing with authoritarian styling cues, distinctively painted cars and bright flashy lights have any deterrent value is it? Everybody knows visible deterrence is just a tired old myth.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 07-12-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Banned

Post of the day

Nothin but net.