• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC experiences in Fredericksburg area

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Your Chiropractor probably loves you and the folks you refer to him. :)
Experts say men who sit down with their wallets in their back trouser pocket risk damaging key nerves.

My left front pocket is full and my pocket knife resides in my right front, heck I need more pockets...

This is why I never drive with a wallet in my pocket. It sits in one of my cup holders or my map pocket. A wallet can traumatize the sciatic nerve, especially when pushed up against a bucket seat side bolster.

As for pockets in which to carry a wallet, I shift mine depending upon the surroundings. If I am in a crowd, waiting in a line, or have on loose fitting clothes (think shorts for example), I frequently put my walled in a front pocket. Better control against theft.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

First off - you did well in all your encounters. Nothing that follows should be considered as negative criticism - I'm just sharing some observations and viewpoints.

Even if he noticed your safely holstered 1911 as soon as you got out of your car, this is the way it should be. Unless yours is a very pretty one, so long as you are not doing anything to endanger yourself or others "there's nothing to see here, folks. Move along."

Comments about his question later. Just an observation that he was there to enforce law and policy yet was lacking in basic knowledge of the very laws he was supposed to enforce. ::head-desk::

Alarm bells ought to be going off here. Any rent-a-cop (or real cop for that matter) who feels the burning desire to "stand with me" is making a clear statement that they are expecting trouble and believe I will be the cause of it. He had a whole office to protect and he chose to monitor possibly the most law-abiding person there?

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON! DANGER! WTF is he doing telling the employee you are armed? That is a great way to induce fear/panic when there was no provocation on your part. No matter how "matter-of-fact" or conversational his tone when saying that, he has no business warning (yes, that's what he was doing) her that you were armed - unless he felt a need to put her on alert.

This, like the question about how many rounds you carried, is not only intrusive and unwarranted, but indicates a distrust based on nothing more than the mere presence of the handgun - in other words, he is focusing on the object instead of the behavior.

Will you please send a FOIA request to the DMV office manager to get a copy of the written policy or post order regarding that? If nothing else it is discrimination against OCers - I'm pretty sure there are folks who CC to the DMV but apparently there is no requirement that management be notified about te presence of their handguns.

At first I thought he had been inquiring about how many rounds your 1911 held in the magazine. Some are 7+1, some are 8+1, and I've seen 10+1. This "knowing when I woud be out" is another indication of how much he distrusts someone who has exhibited no unlawful or otherwise inappropriate behavior. The focus is on the object, not on what the person is doing. I truely fear such people because they are more likely to do something in knee-jerk response to the mere presence of the object.

Training for rent-a-cops (full disclosure: I was one for over 5 years) varies widely, although most get little beyond the DCJS-mandated necessary to qualify for certification. Post orders are usually in a notebook somewhere and little if any training is provided beyond "read this and do what it says". Most of the "why" behind what they do is suggestions or requests from the head person at the site - and that usually violates the terms of the contract. But if you annoy the customer you are likely to either be reassigned to a less-desirable post/site or terminated.

There is an on-going debate as to just what powers of arrest (other than citizen's arrest) security officers have. They are also not allowed to do anything (like use handcuffs or OC) they are not certified for and many of them do not seek certification unless their employer pays for it. As for why DMV uses rent-a-cops instead of sworn officers? Follow the money! Plus, do you really want to expand the number of sworn officers DMV already has? Next thing you know they will be wanting their own SWAT team, just like the Department of Education.:uhoh:

BTW, all this is not paranoia. It's just experience and the ability to recognize how rights can be bumped by subtle means as opposed to being trampled by obvious JBT behavior. I do not want to give them the first inch and I have no desire to store camels in my tent.

stay safe.

Excellent comments, all. Well written and well stated... and well advised for all to take heed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is why I never drive with a wallet in my pocket. It sits in one of my cup holders or my map pocket. A wallet can traumatize the sciatic nerve, especially when pushed up against a bucket seat side bolster.

As for pockets in which to carry a wallet, I shift mine depending upon the surroundings. If I am in a crowd, waiting in a line, or have on loose fitting clothes (think shorts for example), I frequently put my walled in a front pocket. Better control against theft.

One of the many reasons that I really like cargo/tactical pants - so many more secure locations/pockets to put things.
Some are quite upscale/dressy with seam hidden zippers.

Have scored 3 pr of brand new 5.11 at $15.ea. or less recently. :rolleyes:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Some day I'll tell the story of the drowned terrorist that left his wallet in his camera bag beside the river....(and his Taser, 1911, several cameras, General Assembly ID, Etc.)

Last edited:

1245A Defender

well,,,

Some day I'll tell the story of the drowned terrorist that left his wallet in his camera bag beside the river....(and his Taser, 1911, several cameras, General Assembly ID, Etc.)

OH Please do...
I have been overcome with curiosity about this alledged drowned terrorist!
Do I actually have to come to The Commonwealth of Virginia to hear this fastinating tale?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
OH Please do...
Do I actually have to come to The Commonwealth of Virginia to hear this fastinating tale?

You might!
That was one of the breakfast stories Sheriff blew a cork over....but I was getting the sharp end of the stick.:lol: (and deservedly so)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
OH Please do...

I know, I know!!

But then again, I was at that breakfast and having had "drawn and quartered" explained to me, have elected to relegate it Old Virgina tales that get passed about from time to time. Besides which I never saw is first hand, so it's all really hearsay. :p

B0wman

Resurrecting the thread with my first-time OC experience!

Today, I OC'd at the 7-11 on Tidewater Trail and at the FasMart on Rt 3. Had the P-64 at 4 o'clock on my belt and no one seemed to notice (or care, if they did notice). So what was I so nervous about?!:eek:

SouthernBoy

Resurrecting the thread with my first-time OC experience!

Today, I OC'd at the 7-11 on Tidewater Trail and at the FasMart on Rt 3. Had the P-64 at 4 o'clock on my belt and no one seemed to notice (or care, if they did notice). So what was I so nervous about?!:eek:

Nervousness, anxiousness, heightened levels of "everyone is watching me" feelings.... all are normal as you enter the world of open carry. Simple places are the best to start your movements into this world. Filling stations, small stores, grocery stores, a fast food place that is not crowded. It does take a little time to become comfortable doing this in public. Not necessarily for everyone, but I would guess most people step into the gingerly.

Good for you. You're out and you're wet. Before you know it, OC'ing will become natural and no big deal.