Thread: Our very own Tess in the news?!

Our very own Tess in the news?!

Be sure to get her autograph. That and $3 will get you a $1.50 cup of soda at the next gun show.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Be sure to get her autograph. That and $3 will get you a $1.50 cup of soda at the next gun show.

stay safe.
    You're just jealous she's more famous than you now :^).

Skid, nothing positive to say?

Your mom never taught you 'If you can't find something good to say about a person then ......?"

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 Enthusiast View Post

Your mom never taught you 'If you can't find something good to say about a person then ......?"
    don't worry Skid was just funin with Tess.

Tess did a fine job.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Go Tess!

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Uh, yeah ... should have posted here as well as on the VCDL facebook page.

The interview was done two weeks ago, and I tried to speak to being a rights activist with focus on guns, rather than simply a member of a group. Because the piece, though, was on a business (SHE CAN SHOOT, LLC), all of my activism comments were left on the cutting room floor. In my mind, there's a whole lot more to being a gun owner than just being able to hit the center of a target..

Regular Member Betty_Rose_Brown's Avatar

Herstory...

Tess, I looked up the "she can shoot" website and I don't see any chapters in Hampton Roads (Norfolk/Virginia Beach).

Any plans to start a chapter here? What can I do to get things going?

BTW, nice story, and well done.

On a related note, I have a dear friend that suffered a home invasion and sexual assault in "a good neighborhood" and that's what prompted me to get serious about being well-armed.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Good job, Tess. Nice to see you carrying the word so well.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Well done!

Tina Wilson Cohen and I went to the NRA pistol instructors course together. Some of her "shooting divas" attended our Shoot for the cure event last year.

Like the story says, we have seen such a dramatic increase in female shooters in our classes. Back in the day, it was the girlfriend being dragged to a class. Now, the girlfriends and wives are the ones doing the dragging! Used to be that we'd see 10% of our students being female. Now, its easily 40%+.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by Neplusultra View Post
    You're just jealous she's more famous than you now :^).
    At least she's famous for doing something good. All I did was be my curmudgeonly self.

See below. Some of us know each other better than some others of us. I guess you feel being asked for an autograph is not positive. The cost of a soda at the gun show is an inside joke - Tess has heard it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    don't worry Skid was just funin with Tess.

Tess did a fine job.
    Yes, she and all the other ladies did an outstanding job. They probably have done more to make OCing "not terrifying" in one interview than I can do in a whole lifetime. And I am going to ask for an autograph when I see her next.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    They probably have done more to make OCing "not terrifying" in one interview than I can do in a whole lifetime.
    I didn't hear OC mentioned in that interview.
    I do believe the ladies that OC might get noticed more when they're out and about in a postive way.

I applaud all these ladies for taking their safety and the safety of their families seriously. Wish more ladies would get involved. IMHO, it could benefit the advancement and protection of our Second Amendment rights. Crime stats would drop even further. Comapre MD, DC to VA and see which is a safer place. All gun owners should look into joining Virginia Citizens Defense League. http://vcdl.org/
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I didn't hear OC mentioned in that interview.
    I do believe the ladies that OC might get noticed more when they're out and about in a postive way.

I applaud all these ladies for taking their safety and the safety of their families seriously. Wish more ladies would get involved. IMHO, it could benefit the advancement and protection of our Second Amendment rights. Crime stats would drop even further. Comapre MD, DC to VA and see which is a safer place. All gun owners should look into joining Virginia Citizens Defense League. http://vcdl.org/

Surprisingly, or not surprisingly, I guess, I've found very few of the Divas willing to open carry. Steeler-gal is a notable exception. In fact, I think I read a comment from Tina recently that said something like "... don't know...why he felt the need to be armed...". There's still a remarkable willingness amongst the group to spend money in DC, to take part in outings at non-gun-friendly businesses, etc. But I don't mean that to necessarily be an indictment of the group -- the idea of getting people out shooting who would NEVER, EVER have thought of it before is more than commendable.

I did mention open carry, OCDO, and VCDL in my comments, but none made it in to the 2-1/2 minutes of footage that was actually aired.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty_Rose_Brown View Post
    Tess, I looked up the "she can shoot" website and I don't see any chapters in Hampton Roads (Norfolk/Virginia Beach).

Any plans to start a chapter here? What can I do to get things going?

BTW, nice story, and well done.

On a related note, I have a dear friend that suffered a home invasion and sexual assault in "a good neighborhood" and that's what prompted me to get serious about being well-armed.

Betty_Rose_Brown -- I recommend you contact Tina Wilson-Cohen directly; she's listed on the site. I know there are a couple of other chapters in Virginia - and Tina is of course interested in expanding her company.

One of the real benefits of the group is in giving women social opportunities as well -- the number of events the group participates in here in the DC area where guns aren't even permitted is mind-boggling. I don't participate in those where I cannot be armed, but I also don't expect everyone to live by my code. It's almost like a sorority rather than "just" a club.
    Last edited by Tess; 07-12-2012 at 08:34 AM.

1911 Enthusiast -- that was positive, given some of the things we've said about one another <grin>. Although to his credit, skidmark is not the one who distinctly remembers meeting me at an event I didn't attend.

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    I did mention open carry, OCDO, and VCDL in my comments, but none made it in to the 2-1/2 minutes of footage that was actually aired.
    Knowing you I figured you'd slip it in, but the editors have the last say.

The number of events the group participates in here in the DC area where guns aren't even permitted is mind-boggling. I don't participate in those where I cannot be armed, but I also don't expect everyone to live by my code. It's almost like a sorority rather than "just" a club.
    Yup, nothing in DC/MD for me to see and spend money on.

I suspect it has to do with the fact that Tina is allowed to carry IN DC/MD and doesn't give it a second thought.
    I don't know for sure and it is in no way a reflection of her.

I commend her and other instructors (Jim/Proshooter) that actively seek out women to instruct.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

I'm one of the few Divas that OCs, as well - in fact, I'm the one that introduced Steeler-gal to it.

I was at the gathering during the interview, as well, though I didn't get interviewed (I showed up just before the group went onto the range - after interviews). They did get several seconds of me in my big silly range hat, and me shooting my Champion, though.

Regular Member Betty_Rose_Brown's Avatar
    Betty_Rose_Brown -- I recommend you contact Tina Wilson-Cohen directly; she's listed on the site. I know there are a couple of other chapters in Virginia - and Tina is of course interested in expanding her company.

One of the real benefits of the group is in giving women social opportunities as well -- the number of events the group participates in here in the DC area where guns aren't even permitted is mind-boggling. I don't participate in those where I cannot be armed, but I also don't expect everyone to live by my code. It's almost like a sorority rather than "just" a club.
    That sounds like just what I'm looking for. Thank you so much for the information!

Surprisingly, or not surprisingly, I guess, I've found very few of the Divas willing to open carry. Steeler-gal is a notable exception. In fact, I think I read a comment from Tina recently that said something like "... don't know...why he felt the need to be armed...". There's still a remarkable willingness amongst the group to spend money in DC, to take part in outings at non-gun-friendly businesses, etc.
    You're totally right. Most women in our group (and I guess everywhere) seem to automatically CC rather than OC. I've even hosted some OC events (dinners/lunches). I get a great turnout, like 10-15 women, and only 2 or 3 OC. Usually the only OCers I see in our group are you or Rianna. We now have GlockMom in or group and she OCs but I swear it seems like we're the only ones.
    =============================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Well done!

Tina Wilson Cohen and I went to the NRA pistol instructors course together. Some of her "shooting divas" attended our Shoot for the cure event last year.

Like the story says, we have seen such a dramatic increase in female shooters in our classes. Back in the day, it was the girlfriend being dragged to a class. Now, the girlfriends and wives are the ones doing the dragging! Used to be that we'd see 10% of our students being female. Now, its easily 40%+.
    Actually I believe Tess and I were two of the Divas who attended the Shoot For the Cure event last year.
    =============================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-gal View Post
    You're totally right. Most women in our group (and I guess everywhere) seem to automatically CC rather than OC. I've even hosted some OC events (dinners/lunches). I get a great turnout, like 10-15 women, and only 2 or 3 OC. Usually the only OCers I see in our group are you or Rianna. We now have GlockMom in or group and she OCs but I swear it seems like we're the only ones.
    Yep yep, I OC to the Diva events that I attend.

I even had a pleasant conversation with one lady at a Diva event about me OC'ing, she was new to shooting in general. She asked if it was legal, and was surprised it seemed that I was.
    "Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves."
    Abraham Lincoln

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-gal View Post
    That's too bad about the lack of OC. The ladies that are regular attenders (2) of our OC lunches and dinners down here in Lynchburg OC both at the lunches and then regularly on their own as well. We have had some ladies show who do not OC, but most of them have not been regular attenders.