• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Our very own Tess in the news?!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Be sure to get her autograph. That and $3 will get you a $1.50 cup of soda at the next gun show.:p

stay safe.

Sheriff

I don't know Tess. But I do know Tina, she is a force to be reckoned with in a shootout!!

Good video, good story!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Go Tess!:lol:

cookiesstarborn1.jpg

Sheriff

Skid, nothing positive to say?

Your mom never taught you 'If you can't find something good to say about a person then ......?"

After the last week to 10 days, I think everybody will agree that I don't mince words, I speak my mind.

And in this case..... yeah, skidmark was poking fun at Tess.

I would be all over him like water spots on a black car otherwise!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Uh, yeah ... should have posted here as well as on the VCDL facebook page.

The interview was done two weeks ago, and I tried to speak to being a rights activist with focus on guns, rather than simply a member of a group. Because the piece, though, was on a business (SHE CAN SHOOT, LLC), all of my activism comments were left on the cutting room floor. In my mind, there's a whole lot more to being a gun owner than just being able to hit the center of a target..

Betty_Rose_Brown

Herstory...

Tess, I looked up the "she can shoot" website and I don't see any chapters in Hampton Roads (Norfolk/Virginia Beach).

Any plans to start a chapter here? What can I do to get things going? :)

BTW, nice story, and well done.

On a related note, I have a dear friend that suffered a home invasion and sexual assault in "a good neighborhood" and that's what prompted me to get serious about being well-armed.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Well done!

Tina Wilson Cohen and I went to the NRA pistol instructors course together. Some of her "shooting divas" attended our Shoot for the cure event last year.

Like the story says, we have seen such a dramatic increase in female shooters in our classes. Back in the day, it was the girlfriend being dragged to a class. Now, the girlfriends and wives are the ones doing the dragging! :) Used to be that we'd see 10% of our students being female. Now, its easily 40%+.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
You're just jealous she's more famous than you now :^).

At least she's famous for doing something good. All I did was be my curmudgeonly self.:(

Skid, nothing positive to say?

Your mom never taught you 'If you can't find something good to say about a person then ......?"

See below. Some of us know each other better than some others of us. I guess you feel being asked for an autograph is not positive. The cost of a soda at the gun show is an inside joke - Tess has heard it before.

don't worry Skid was just funin with Tess.

Tess did a fine job. :D

Yes, she and all the other ladies did an outstanding job. They probably have done more to make OCing "not terrifying" in one interview than I can do in a whole lifetime. And I am going to ask for an autograph when I see her next.

stay safe.

Marco

They probably have done more to make OCing "not terrifying" in one interview than I can do in a whole lifetime.

I didn't hear OC mentioned in that interview.
I do believe the ladies that OC might get noticed more when they're out and about in a postive way.

I applaud all these ladies for taking their safety and the safety of their families seriously. Wish more ladies would get involved. IMHO, it could benefit the advancement and protection of our Second Amendment rights. Crime stats would drop even further. Comapre MD, DC to VA and see which is a safer place. All gun owners should look into joining Virginia Citizens Defense League. http://vcdl.org/

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I didn't hear OC mentioned in that interview.
I do believe the ladies that OC might get noticed more when they're out and about in a postive way.

I applaud all these ladies for taking their safety and the safety of their families seriously. Wish more ladies would get involved. IMHO, it could benefit the advancement and protection of our Second Amendment rights. Crime stats would drop even further. Comapre MD, DC to VA and see which is a safer place. All gun owners should look into joining Virginia Citizens Defense League. http://vcdl.org/

Surprisingly, or not surprisingly, I guess, I've found very few of the Divas willing to open carry. Steeler-gal is a notable exception. In fact, I think I read a comment from Tina recently that said something like "... don't know...why he felt the need to be armed...". There's still a remarkable willingness amongst the group to spend money in DC, to take part in outings at non-gun-friendly businesses, etc. But I don't mean that to necessarily be an indictment of the group -- the idea of getting people out shooting who would NEVER, EVER have thought of it before is more than commendable.

I did mention open carry, OCDO, and VCDL in my comments, but none made it in to the 2-1/2 minutes of footage that was actually aired.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Tess, I looked up the "she can shoot" website and I don't see any chapters in Hampton Roads (Norfolk/Virginia Beach).

Any plans to start a chapter here? What can I do to get things going? :)

BTW, nice story, and well done.

On a related note, I have a dear friend that suffered a home invasion and sexual assault in "a good neighborhood" and that's what prompted me to get serious about being well-armed.

Betty_Rose_Brown -- I recommend you contact Tina Wilson-Cohen directly; she's listed on the site. I know there are a couple of other chapters in Virginia - and Tina is of course interested in expanding her company.

One of the real benefits of the group is in giving women social opportunities as well -- the number of events the group participates in here in the DC area where guns aren't even permitted is mind-boggling. I don't participate in those where I cannot be armed, but I also don't expect everyone to live by my code. It's almost like a sorority rather than "just" a club.

Last edited:

Marco

I did mention open carry, OCDO, and VCDL in my comments, but none made it in to the 2-1/2 minutes of footage that was actually aired.

Knowing you I figured you'd slip it in, but the editors have the last say.

The number of events the group participates in here in the DC area where guns aren't even permitted is mind-boggling. I don't participate in those where I cannot be armed, but I also don't expect everyone to live by my code. It's almost like a sorority rather than "just" a club.

Yup, nothing in DC/MD for me to see and spend money on.

I suspect it has to do with the fact that Tina is allowed to carry IN DC/MD and doesn't give it a second thought.
I don't know for sure and it is in no way a reflection of her.

I commend her and other instructors (Jim/Proshooter) that actively seek out women to instruct.

Riana

I'm one of the few Divas that OCs, as well - in fact, I'm the one that introduced Steeler-gal to it.

I was at the gathering during the interview, as well, though I didn't get interviewed (I showed up just before the group went onto the range - after interviews). They did get several seconds of me in my big silly range hat, and me shooting my Champion, though.

Betty_Rose_Brown

Betty_Rose_Brown -- I recommend you contact Tina Wilson-Cohen directly; she's listed on the site. I know there are a couple of other chapters in Virginia - and Tina is of course interested in expanding her company.

One of the real benefits of the group is in giving women social opportunities as well -- the number of events the group participates in here in the DC area where guns aren't even permitted is mind-boggling. I don't participate in those where I cannot be armed, but I also don't expect everyone to live by my code. It's almost like a sorority rather than "just" a club.

That sounds like just what I'm looking for. Thank you so much for the information!