Thread: A few questions for you guys from La.

A few questions for you guys from La.

My Son Graduated from LSU in May. I built him and AR for Graduation. I am doing a FFL transfer down your way to his gun shop. The gun shop owner said he would also register it for him. Does La required long guns to be registered? Is there a wait for handguns, and do they have to be registered as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz272 View Post
    My Son Graduated from LSU in May. I built him and AR for Graduation. I am doing a FFL transfer down your way to his gun shop. The gun shop owner said he would also register it for him. Does La required long guns to be registered? Is there a wait for handguns, and do they have to be registered as well?
    We dont have any form of registration in Louisiana.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    We dont have any form of registration in Louisiana.
    Except for Class III.

Any idea what the gun shop was talking about then? What is the story on handgun purchases?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz272 View Post
    Any idea what the gun shop was talking about then? What is the story on handgun purchases?
    There is "no registration" for handguns in LoUiSiAna. Ask him what agency administers the registry. ;-)
    Last edited by oldgoat; 07-12-2012 at 12:16 AM.

Why are you doing an FFL trainer in the first place ? You built it as a Graduation present right? Just give it to him as a gift. We have no gun registration hear in La.
    Pres. Florida Parishes Chapter of LOCAL www.laopencarry.org

.308 Isn't an area code, but it can still make long distance calls.
    How may I help you? Press '1' for English. Press '2' to disconnect until you learn to speak English.

Wolf

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang1952 View Post
    Why are you doing an FFL trainer in the first place ? You built it as a Graduation present right? Just give it to him as a gift. We have no gun registration hear in La.
    I would hazard a guess that the OP is in another state, not convenient to Louisiana. As such he cannot simply send it by mail or put it on a Greyhound bus.

He will need to do an FFL transfer presuming the above is the case.

Remember, you can never transfer a firearm directly to another person who is a resident of a different state. In that case, you must transfer the firearm through a licensed dealer in the state where the person receiving the gift resides.
    http://www.nssfblog.com/giving-a-fir...ers-from-nssf/

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unli...-firearms-usps
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-12-2012 at 10:24 PM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Grapeshot is correct I am in Wisconsin. Gifting the gun to my son is legal, but getting it to him I have to do a FFL transfer.
    Any good ranges, gun clubs, or hunting clubs in the Baton Rouge area?