• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A few questions for you guys from La.

Grizz272

My Son Graduated from LSU in May. I built him and AR for Graduation. I am doing a FFL transfer down your way to his gun shop. The gun shop owner said he would also register it for him. Does La required long guns to be registered? Is there a wait for handguns, and do they have to be registered as well?

oldgoat

My Son Graduated from LSU in May. I built him and AR for Graduation. I am doing a FFL transfer down your way to his gun shop. The gun shop owner said he would also register it for him. Does La required long guns to be registered? Is there a wait for handguns, and do they have to be registered as well?

We dont have any form of registration in Louisiana.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Why are you doing an FFL trainer in the first place ? You built it as a Graduation present right? Just give it to him as a gift. We have no gun registration hear in La.

I would hazard a guess that the OP is in another state, not convenient to Louisiana. As such he cannot simply send it by mail or put it on a Greyhound bus.

He will need to do an FFL transfer presuming the above is the case.

Remember, you can never transfer a firearm directly to another person who is a resident of a different state. In that case, you must transfer the firearm through a licensed dealer in the state where the person receiving the gift resides.
http://www.nssfblog.com/giving-a-firearm-as-a-gift-some-reminders-from-nssf/

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#shipping-firearms-usps

Last edited:

Grizz272

Grapeshot is correct I am in Wisconsin. Gifting the gun to my son is legal, but getting it to him I have to do a FFL transfer.
Any good ranges, gun clubs, or hunting clubs in the Baton Rouge area?