• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

5.11 Tactical pants/shorts

45acpForMe

I have been visiting Florida each year for two decades. Each time I CC (pocket carry) and am pretty sure the gun/pocket-holster itself won't be seen and probably won't print bad enough to get a LEO attention.

Over the last two years I have worn out and cycled through my shorts such that the majority of my new shorts are 5.11 shorts with a magazine pocket in the front. I love the functionality and in Virginia there is no issue with them.

My question to Floridians is, "Would the fact that a magazine pocket seemed occupied on the front of my shorts make a LEO think I was printing or CC-ing and cause me pain and suffering?"

I guess I could go pick up a few generic cargo shorts but wanted to see how sensitive that Florida's LEA were to printing and to what extent.

Thanks for any input.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
A magazine printing in no way looks like a firearm. They could not charge you for exposing/printing your firearm because it is not a firearm. Not to mention an officer would not have probable cause to search you just because there is something in your pocket that is shaped like a rectangle. A magazine in your pocket is much different than a firearm.

Fallschirjmäger

Wearing a too-tight tee shirt with "I'm carrying a concealed weapon" isn't Legally a reasonably articulable suspicion of illegal activity. There is no "printing"offense in the Florida code as far as I know.

Q. When is a Handgun "Concealed?"
A. The Florida Legislature defines a concealed firearm as any firearm “carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal it from the ordinary sight of another person.” A person carrying a concealed firearm without a license is guilty of a felony of the third degree. The penalty for this offense is a prison term of up to five years.

PRINTING... but still "concealed from ordinary sight"

Last edited by a moderator:

45acpForMe

Ok for some reason I thought FL had a printing law. :-( I went and re-read the laws and don't see one.

I think technically 5.11 calls the magazine pocket a cell phone pocket but I haven't seen a cell phone that would fit it. :)

I figured the existence of a magazine would clue a LEO into the fact that I was probably CC-ing and then they may choose to ask for my permit.

Without the printing fear the worst that could happen (should happen) is they see my permit and wish me a happy day. :)

ADulay

Ok for some reason I thought FL had a printing law. :-( I went and re-read the laws and don't see one.

I figured the existence of a magazine would clue a LEO into the fact that I was probably CC-ing and then they may choose to ask for my permit.

Without the printing fear the worst that could happen (should happen) is they see my permit and wish me a happy day. :)

I wouldn't even worry about it. Printing is not illegal nor is carrying a magazine in your pocket.

I seriously doubt anyone (other than maybe some of us) would even give it a second look, let alone recognize what you were doing.

AD

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
As far as I know there are no FL laws against open carrying a magazine, so I can't see how printing a magazine would be a problem. Even if it is printing how the hell would anyone know what it is?

45acpForMe

As far as I know there are no FL laws against open carrying a magazine, so I can't see how printing a magazine would be a problem. Even if it is printing how the hell would anyone know what it is?

Well by wearing the 5.11 tactical shorts anyone that has similar shorts would know that it was a magazine pocket and if full probably a magazine inside.

I was just wondering if it was like wearing a big sign that says "I'm CC-ing here!" and would get any LEO's attention and me their negative attention.

Last edited:

rvrctyrngr

Well by wearing the 5.11 tactical shorts anyone that has similar shorts would know that it was a magazine pocket and if full probably a magazine inside.

I was just wondering if it was like wearing a big sign that says "I'm CC-ing here!" and would get any LEO's attention and me their negative attention.

That's one of the many reasons I don't wear any 5.11 or other 'tactical' stuff. Just plain 'ol Wrangler jeans and cargo pants/shorts. Urban Camo! :D

twoskinsonemanns

That's one of the many reasons I don't wear any 5.11 or other 'tactical' stuff. Just plain 'ol Wrangler jeans and cargo pants/shorts. Urban Camo! :D

One of the reasons you don't wear "tactical stuff" is because it might indicate to others that you are CCing but you want OC back?
Why doesn't that make sense to me?

For what it is worth I had some 5.11 gear issued to me (work uniform) before I ever even heard of it and I love it. Durable, utilitarian.... Great.

If you see me wearing my 5.11 pants and guess that I have a gun... well I guess you got me. Of course the gun sitting in plain sight in a holster on my hip would be the first clue.

45acpForMe

In Virginia I mainly OC on my hip and CC in my pocket. So I don't worry about anyone "guessing" whether I am carrying.

In Florida I am less comfortable with the laws so I was wondering if I really had to worry about printing or over zealous anti LEO's.

I see the posts of people that temporarily expose their CC-ed gun and wind up with legal costs and don't want that happening to me.

OC in Florida would be very nice and I was planning to OC this year when I thought the bill had a chance to make it into law. Then it was killed. Go figure.

ADulay

Once again, nobody cares, really. It's Florida. The only people that even know what the heck "5.11 tactical shorts" are will not be concerned.

See above statement. Seriously!

AD

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
On that note, I was considering getting a 5.11 tactical vest and writing "concealed carry laws make me wear this ugly vest" on the back

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

The Courts have legislated Printing into a crime.

And, as demonstrated here, printing of genitalia is also considered indecent exposure and prosecuted as if naked. Again, no statute. The courts created it. There are tons of people who are now "registered sex offenders" because a cop caught his girlfriend looking at some other dude's bulge. Yes, it includes camel toe, too...

But ya don't have to take my word for it. Do your own research.

Last edited by a moderator: