• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Advice from my fellow Floridians.

Nav0341

Right now I live in MI. Of my family, I would consider myself the firearms "expert." Military experience as well as being someone that carries 24/7, I get asked all the questions.

My little sister, she's 22, called me up the other night and she is very interested in purchasing her first pistol, as well as eventually obtaining her concealed carry permit. I think you guys call it a CWFL down there. If I weren't so far away, I could take her to the range and educate her 1 on 1 myself. This is where I need some pointers.... Ranges, in the Jacksonville area, that might be known for being polite and courteous as well as educational towards people, and major sticklers on safety. I will be looking up some ranges on Google, but personal experience trumps what a website says or shows. Everyone says they are safe, but we all know that isn't always the case.

Also, any links to FL law or groups. For example up here we have MOC or Michigan Open Carry, ans well as MCRGO or Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners. I know I could probably dig for all of this info myself, but I am hoping some of you will have some of this information already at the tip of your fingertips.

Thanks!

notalawyer

Right now I live in MI. Of my family, I would consider myself the firearms "expert." Military experience as well as being someone that carries 24/7, I get asked all the questions.

My little sister, she's 22, called me up the other night and she is very interested in purchasing her first pistol, as well as eventually obtaining her concealed carry permit. I think you guys call it a CWFL down there. If I weren't so far away, I could take her to the range and educate her 1 on 1 myself. This is where I need some pointers.... Ranges, in the Jacksonville area, that might be known for being polite and courteous as well as educational towards people, and major sticklers on safety. I will be looking up some ranges on Google, but personal experience trumps what a website says or shows. Everyone says they are safe, but we all know that isn't always the case.

Also, any links to FL law or groups. For example up here we have MOC or Michigan Open Carry, ans well as MCRGO or Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners. I know I could probably dig for all of this info myself, but I am hoping some of you will have some of this information already at the tip of your fingertips.

Thanks!

FloridaCarry.org

Several instructors are fairly active over at http://floridaconcealedcarry.com

Or just PM/IM member Rvrctyrngr here or on either of those two other sites, I beleive he is an instructor or can get you in touch with the better ones in your sister's area.

Last edited:

Rich7553

FloridaCarry.org

Several instructors are fairly active over at http://floridaconcealedcarry.com

Or just PM/IM member Rvrctyrngr here or on either of those two other sites, I beleive he is an instructor or can get you in touch with the better ones in your sister's area.

Scott (rvrcityrngr) is an instructor and a Florida Carry board member. He and Franklin (an FCC forum member) are currently setting up a gun store, range, and instruction facility very close to Jacksonville.

notalawyer

Scott (rvrcityrngr) is an instructor and a Florida Carry board member. He and Franklin (an FCC forum member) are currently setting up a gun store, range, and instruction facility very close to Jacksonville.

Thanks for that information.

Keith.338

Thanks!

Yes there are a few in door handgun ranges in Jax and an outdoor pistol and rifle range.

There is Gun Galley which is on Beach Blv. - http://www.gungalleryjax.com/

Bullseye on Atlantic Blv. - http://www.bullseyegun.com/

Gateway rifle and pistol club. (outdoor range with range officers on the pistol and 100 yard public ranges) http://www.grpc-jax.com/

Then there is a nice outdoor range behind the outlet malls in St. Augustine. Thing I like about this one is it is relaxed but not best for first time shooters who need help from range guy. http://www.attac-fl.com/