• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Combs Trial Demonstrates Need To Use Recording Devices

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
This brings up a good point. There is a potential issue when one OC's that a person could easily call the police and inform them that someone "brandished" the firearm... ie waved it around, threatening them. There was local GR case a few years ago when a CCer was stopped by the police while driving a car who was informed that another driver called the police saying he threatened him with a handgun. The officer asked to see the firearm, and the CCer showed them a stainless revolver. The person was immediately released because the caller had described the pistol as a black semi-auto. In fact, I have a good friend who refuses to OC for this very reason. Has this ever really happened, NO. Could it CONCEIVABLY happen, most certainly. Therefore, I would suggest that, if you have a video recorder, you take a short video of how you are dressed and that you make sure that you include a shot of your pistol in a segment of the video taken before you head out.

Ezerharden

This brings up a good point. There is a potential issue when one OC's that a person could easily call the police and inform them that someone "brandished" the firearm... ie waved it around, threatening them. There was local GR case a few years ago when a CCer was stopped by the police while driving a car who was informed that another driver called the police saying he threatened him with a handgun. The officer asked to see the firearm, and the CCer showed them a stainless revolver. The person was immediately released because the caller had described the pistol as a black semi-auto. In fact, I have a good friend who refuses to OC for this very reason. Has this ever really happened, NO. Could it CONCEIVABLY happen, most certainly. Therefore, I would suggest that, if you have a video recorder, you take a short video of how you are dressed and that you make sure that you include a shot of your pistol in a segment of the video taken before you head out.

I agree but I also think it is very sad that we have to go to such lengths to exercise a right. It is almost impossible to get a small video device that can record all day long and every encounter you may have. Lets use the above example (post #12 by Glock9mmOldStyle) of an anti calling the police accusing you of "brandishing your weapon and threatening them". Unless you are recording continually you would likely never get that on video. I use a good digital voice recorder set to voice activation but it likely would not help much in that situation as brandishing is a visual, not verbal, threat. Video would be nice also, but again as was stated, there is a battery life issue not to mention storage space. I looked at that Qik program Q talked about, may check it out when I get a smart phone at the end of the month.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

There are advantages and disadvantages to every method of recording... apps that upload to the 'net stop uploading once the cell phone meets an "accident" and then what will record what happens after that?

Covert recorders are a hassle because they have a limited battery capacity that requires multiple units to capture many hours of OC time... and they can be taken to meet an "accident".

I don't know what is best... all I know is I carry more covert recorders (in different configurations) than I do guns. And I save the recordings of everyday activities for at least a couple of years.

Last edited by a moderator: