• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Appendix Inside the Waistband

jwinkeler

AIWB, anyone do it/use this method for open carry, I just got a AIWB holster and I'm thinking of OCing (as well as CCing when I can) with it anyone have experience with this? Thanks
Joe

Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp.

Last edited:

Michigander

I use AIWB to cc my backup. I can't think of much reason why it would be prudent to carry openly with a holster that probably offers no retention, and in a position where people are going to find it weird. On top of that, you'll have your muzzle covering your crotch without the payoff of good concealment. If you instead carry on the side, you get a more common look, and a marginally faster draw. But if it works for you, I'd say go for it...

GONZO!!!

I personally like AIWB...getting in and out of the car or long sitting periods I like the AIWB because it is a bit more comfortable FOR ME. Standard IWB in the 4 O'Clock position tends to bother my hip and lower back if I am sitting in a vehicle for long time.

Drawing from IWB? I absolutely prefer AIWB. For me, it is FASTER. It could be a traiing issue but I find a 4 O'Clock draw slower.

I do not OC with AIWB...usually a loose standard t-shirt covers well with little to no imprinting. I carry a full size 1911 .45 all of the time. AIWB sits really low and hardly imprints if at all.

GONZO!!!

jwinkeler

Thanks for the input guys, I was thinking for open carry moving it to about 2:00 position, I'll play around with it tho,
Joe

tcox4freedom

Thanks for the input guys, I was thinking for open carry moving it to about 2:00 position, I'll play around with it tho,
Joe

I currently carry AIWB is a CBST that I cut down. I usually carry a 24/7 Pro C with a 3.3" barrel in the 1:30-2 o'clock position. But, if you find yourself sitting of bending a lot, you may find 12-1 o'clock a more comfortable position. Pistols with longer barrels may need to be carried more to the front as well. (It's not very comfortable getting stuck with the muzzle every time you sit or bend.)

With the right rig (belt, gun & holster), AIWB is a very comfortable way to carry. (Even for me & I've got a pretty big gut that hangs over my belt) It's also one of the most tactically sound ways to CC! Just take the time to experiment with ride height & cant in addition to position.

-

Last edited: