• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WRAL website shares nifty search tool to locate CHP holders

Smith45acp

Bottom of the article: http://www.wral.com/news/state/nccapitol/story/11295888/

You can get a nice little count of permitees per street with this. A motivated thief can now just find small or sparsely populated streets, rule out a few more with some basic observation, then break into your home to see if you left any backup goodies lying around.

At the bottom of this article, WRAL provides a nifty little search tool to locate folks who have GONE OUT OF THEIR WAY to get concealed handgun permits (extensive background check, fingerprinting, medical records, MONEY, and completion of a qualifying course).

And people wonder why folks like us fight tooth and nail against "sensible gun control laws". Why is this information public? Why not just get a number of permitees per county if you're interested in distribution data across the state? Why am I made to feel the exposure a pedophile deserves?

I feel betrayed, which is a feeling I can't get used to no matter how often this crap keeps falling on our heads.

Is this a brand new thing? I feel like I'd have heard about it before now.

wmodavis

I don't like that even if I'm not from NC. Hope my state doesn't do that!

WalkingWolf

Several newspapers listed both CHP and PP applications, not sure why sheriffs depts should be supplying this information. Another good reason not to have a CHP, and open carry.

62 Caddy

Thank You WRAL for providing a free internet tool for criminals to better their odds for finding unarmed victims. A great public service, you should be proud. The entire WRAL broadcasting staff must be idiots.

Last edited:

NC-Heel

I hope a criminal uses this to pick what rural house he is going to rob. 12 gauge kills way more efficiently than a handgun. 3% of North Carolinian's have a CHP but 60% of all households own a firearm.

Hey Tyrone lets break into these houses, according to WRAL there are no CHP's on this street. OK, Jorge lets do this. 5 minutes later, Tyrone run all these crazy country folk got a 12 gauge by their bed.

bwhunter65

Here is there response so far on facebook dont do me any favors. I guess it might help if I defend myself by saying a robber targeted me by going to there web site.
WRAL TV ‎Warren Falcone Although the state records and makes public personally identifying information about concealed carry permit holders, including name, phone number and even physical descriptors, we chose to leave those details out of the data we published so that any individual is not identifiable.

Snaquebite

Getting Interesting

http://freedomoutpost.com/2012/07/outrage-website-targets-concealed-carry-permit-holders/

News station WRAL in Raleigh, North Carolina has caused quite a bit of outrage among gun rights activists. Their website gives users the option of “Finding concealed carry permit holders in your area. CCW activists claim it is akin to making them appear as “sex offenders.”

The searchable box, located about halfway down the page, allows one to enter their street, city, county and zip code and find out who in their area has obtained a CCW permit.

Read more: http://freedomoutpost.com/2012/07/o...concealed-carry-permit-holders/#ixzz2125XsvDw