• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHL with a 410

joelkellom

I am new to Oregon. I consider myself a political refugee from Kamifornia because their laws made it illegal for me to practice my rights freely. I am still getting a grip on the laws which dont seem to be as extensive as CA but I did have one question I cant seem to find an answer for.

My wife and I are planning on getting CHL's; we live in Sandy which is Clackamas County. Can we CHL with 410 handguns? Is there any restrictions on what we can carry or would that be at the discretion of the Sheriff?

Cremator75

Welcome to Oregon!

CHL = Conceald Handgun License

There are no specifications as to caliber I have ever seen. I occasionally carry my Judge with 410 000 buck. The sheriff never asks what guns you own or plan on carrying. Just get your license and carry often.

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

marksrig

410 carry!!

THEY MAKE AN AR15 THAT IS LEGALLY A PISTOL AS WELL. I PROBABLY WOULDN'T CARRY IT DAILY THOUGH...TOO HEAVY!:banana:

joelkellom

wow thats better news than I thought. In California you have to tell the Sheriff what Make Model serial youre going to carry. If you want to carry anything else you have to requalify with that gun.

We-the-People

wow thats better news than I thought. In California you have to tell the Sheriff what Make Model serial youre going to carry. If you want to carry anything else you have to requalify with that gun.

As a fellow political refugee from the PRK (Peoples Republic of Kommiefornia) I remember having to list the weapons I wanted to carry on my permit after qualifying with each. I also remember that there were only three lines on the permit for weapons and so most jurisdictions wanted to limit you to three weapons even though the law said there was no such limitation and that additional weapons were to be listed on additional sheets. Ahhhh the freedom in Oregon in this regard.

On the 410 carry. It's legal but, having a Judge Public Defender, I wouldn't recommend it for self defense against two legged critters. The length of the barrel simply doesn't allow much "ummmpf" to be develop before the projectile(s) leave the barrel. Great snake gun but marginal at best for self defense.

Just my opinion YMMV

marksrig

wow thats better news than I thought. In California you have to tell the Sheriff what Make Model serial youre going to carry. If you want to carry anything else you have to requalify with that gun. IF THE SHERIFF IN KALIFORNIA WILL EVEN ALLOW YOU TO GET A PERMIT...USUALLY NOT.:banghead:

hermannr

Oh, got beat to it: yep, the Judge will get you a 410 carry, as also stated, I would want to for snakes with no legs, rather than those with 2 legs.

We-the-People

Well you CAN, but if you have to shoot anyone with them, you're just going to make 'em mad.

Actually they have special rounds just for the Judge. One manufacturer puts 38 caliber balls (stacked), another (the PDX) rounds have three disks and then bb's underneath. Whether they ACTUALLY have any stopping power I haven't read about but they are impressive on soft targets.

I'll stick to my .224 cal rifle round pistol. No it's not an AR pistol.

Cremator75

Well you CAN, but if you have to shoot anyone with them, you're just going to make 'em mad.

Would you care to be the test dummy for that theory? I've seen what the .410 #000 buck does to watermelon and pumpkins, and its way more destructive then my .45. I'll stay on the giving end of this one. ;)

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

joelkellom

I agree with cremator. Ive done a bit of research and the 410 sounds like a good defense weapon especially with the 000 buck. I do like, as many of you brought up, the versatility. Im a country boy and like the idea of having snake shot. Though im not sure how many snakes there are around here because of the weather. Im also unsure of how any 410 round would fare against larger critters. Ive been told theres a few black bears and wild cats around.

We-the-People

I agree with cremator. Ive done a bit of research and the 410 sounds like a good defense weapon especially with the 000 buck. I do like, as many of you brought up, the versatility. Im a country boy and like the idea of having snake shot. Though im not sure how many snakes there are around here because of the weather. Im also unsure of how any 410 round would fare against larger critters. Ive been told theres a few black bears and wild cats around.

When I do carry mine, it's got at most one shot round for snakes. All other cylinders have 250 grain RNFP 45's in it...for the snakes with two legs or any other critters that might be a threat. After I've seen some terminal ballistic info on the PDX rounds stopping power (as opposed to mere watermelon smashing), I might put those in instead but the 000 buck (.38 cal I believe) don't five me a warm fuzzy feeling for their ability 9or lack thereof) to penetrate sufficiently to stop a two legged threat.