• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Two Topics That Need to be Left Alone Here

SFCRetired

I'm not meaning to step on anyone's toes, but I firmly believe that there are two topics we need to leave alone on this forum. Those topics are sexual orientation; our own and others, and religion.

We are a community devoted to the exercise of our rights and, as such, we are irretrievably entwined with that other taboo subject: politics. But, for the sake of preserving as much unity as possible, can we please leave the other two alone?

I do not care if you are gay, straight, or whatever. If we meet, and you, for whatever reason, choose to tell me, that will make absolutely no difference in how I view you as a person.

Your religious beliefs are between you and whatever Deity you choose to believe in, or not believe in. If you ask me, I will be happy to tell you of my beliefs, but I will in no way try to ram them down your throat. I agree that there are people out there who give religions a bad name. But let's not let ourselves be drawn into that quagmire, please.

Yeah, I know I'm not a moderator and I'm not the arbiter of anyone else's morality, ethics, or beliefs. I'm just an old guy who is trying to see this forum as outsiders may see it and politely, I hope, suggesting that we need to leave some things alone.

Again, I am not trying to offend anyone and, if I have, I apologize in advance. Such was not my intent.

I will be very interested in the responses to this little note of mine.

scott58dh

I'm not meaning to step on anyone's toes, but I firmly believe that there are two topics we need to leave alone on this forum. Those topics are sexual orientation; our own and others, and religion.

We are a community devoted to the exercise of our rights and, as such, we are irretrievably entwined with that other taboo subject: politics. But, for the sake of preserving as much unity as possible, can we please leave the other two alone?

I do not care if you are gay, straight, or whatever. If we meet, and you, for whatever reason, choose to tell me, that will make absolutely no difference in how I view you as a person.

Your religious beliefs are between you and whatever Deity you choose to believe in, or not believe in. If you ask me, I will be happy to tell you of my beliefs, but I will in no way try to ram them down your throat. I agree that there are people out there who give religions a bad name. But let's not let ourselves be drawn into that quagmire, please.

Yeah, I know I'm not a moderator and I'm not the arbiter of anyone else's morality, ethics, or beliefs. I'm just an old guy who is trying to see this forum as outsiders may see it and politely, I hope, suggesting that we need to leave some things alone.

Again, I am not trying to offend anyone and, if I have, I apologize in advance. Such was not my intent.

You seem to have forgotten one of the Most important issues at debate since the beginning of time,,,

Chocolate - Vanilla or Strawberry

I vote,,,,,,STRAWBERRY !!!

Seriously though, thanks for your attempt to bring some rational (albeit at times a little fuzzy, due to varied subjects discussed) thought to this forum.

I'll be Praying for you as things sometimes become a little out of control, but it ain't MY fault,,,

Beratta92FSLady ALWAYS Starts IT !!! :banana:

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Why? (Besides it being a hot button for a few)

I am straight and agnostic.

When others want to counter my points or debate my position they may do it better knowing my orientation or religious beliefs. I do the same. When someone gay also believes in positivist view point of law and that democracy should rule it's good to point out or see where their standpoint on proposition 8 a majority backed initiative properly voted on and enacted. Me I think it should be struck down, but I don't believe in mob rule or positivism. I also don't believe in State sanctioned gay marriage but hey non straight people it is only because I don't believe in any state sanctioning of our private lives. I don't need state permission in contracting personal relationships.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Although when I saw the title, I would have thought it was 9mm v .45

No No No No No No Noooooooooooooooooo ! Not that! 9mm is my choice (ahh, here they come, a gun'n for me)

I don't care if someone is gay but they should not have the same rights as a true couple.
Jesus did not tell me to hunt gays down, just that being gay isn't exactly normal and is a sin.
And if it is a sin, that should not bother the OP .. 'cause he's already on the express to the hot zone.

And I think that if I told the OP that I like 5 yr old boys, I'm sure he wouldn't mind that, right? So there is a line, see?

As George Carlin said "My God has a bigger **** than your god!"

ps: I don't go for 5 yr old boys

Last edited:

hjmoosejaw

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic that suffered from insomnia? He sat up all night wondering if there really is a dog.

willigun

two topics?

I can't remember anyone talking about sex or religion or anything else.
I suffer from CRS. (can't remember stuff) :shocker:

MKEgal

scott58dh said:
You seem to have forgotten one of the most important issues at debate since the beginning of time:
chocolate, vanilla or strawberry
You think there are flavors other than chocolate? :shocker: Die, heretic!

davidmcbeth said:
being gay isn't exactly normal and is a sin.
Used to be, many 'Christians' would say the same about someone being left-handed.

Besides, if you accept the premise that your diety made everything [Genesis 1:1], and especially made humans in its image [Genesis 1:27], then the diety is both male & female, is all skin colors, and is all orientations.
Of course, if you want to get into what the Bible lists as sins we'll be here for weeks.
Do you wear cotton-polyester clothes? Eat crab, lobster, shrimp, bacon? Shave your beard?
[See how knowing the person you're debating & bringing in references which are relevent to his/her world view makes for a more effective debate?]

Last edited: