• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OPEN CARRY grand canyon story 2012

jnvo

Hello all.

First and foremost, I would like to thank the members of this forum for educating me about open carry and what to expect.

I am from California (enough said right?) and have always wanted to experience OC where people don’t see a gun and freak out like it’s the end of the world.

So I did my research and stumped upon this forum and gathered all the legal information that would need to know just in case a LEO or anyone asked.

We stayed at KINGMAN and I OC’ed everywhere. It was great. I saw a few other people OC and that was nice.

I OC’ed successfully in the Grand Canyon successfully without any trouble from park rangers and/or law enforcement. We were at the south and east rim.

However, I DID have one incident with some old disgruntled man who seem very anti-gun/anti-OC.

This is how it went:

Old man: Are you law enforcement?
Me: nope
Old man: why do you carry a gun?
(he said it in a pretty condescending tone so I knew how this was going to go)
Me: Why don’t YOU carry a gun?
Old man: are you afraid?
Me: Not yet. Are you afraid?
(Seeing the smart ass I am, he started getting mad at my rhetoric)
Old man: you don’t need to carry a gun
Me: I’m sure YOU don’t need a lot of things too, but you have it.
Old man: doesn’t change the fact that you don’t need to carry a gun.
Me: better have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

(By now there was a crowd that started forming)

Me: The law here permits me to open carry.

By this time his wife pulled him away and he mumbled to her, “They had JUST allowed it in the parks…JUST allowed it.”

93e6902a.jpg

(and yes, this was my poor attempt at a smile while the glare from the sun ate me up)

Last edited:

Packer fan

Welcome

Let me be the first to welcome you to OC.

I don't have as much experience as many here do but I have enjoyed it when I'm able to get a chance.

I too live in a state that frowns upon OC so I too have to travel.

I live just 20 and 30 miles from two little towns in Mo where my wife and I OC. We would OC into a little grocery store and now it's posted so we don't stop there anymore. We have been asked the same questions but because we frequent the little gas stations and such we are polite when asked. Most of the time nobody even blinks an eye. Have fun good luck and enjoy the freedoms that have been fought and died for.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO!

I want to congratulate you on exercising your rights! Isn't it a great feeling to actually be able to exercise all of your rights?!

You did a great job with the crotchety old man!

Carry On!

Murphy

Welcome to OC!

Looks like you were visiting the South Rim...is the the rim of the Bright Angel Lodge you are at?

I used to live in the GC village and worked there...at the time they had a "NO WEAPONS allowed" sign and the park rangers were brownshirts...

You handled it quite well. Your answers made him think and many people don't like to do that nowadays...

acmariner99

Welcome aboard! OCing is a wonderful way to exercise your 2A liberties. I have OCed in GCNP several times. I have gotten a number of good comments -- even from foreign tourists from places like England or Japan. One time I was wearing my friend's 38 spl revolver -- wearing a cowboy hat and khaki shorts that made me look much like a ranger, though that wasn't my intention -- I was running about 50 yards behind my two friends who decided to take off down the canyon. That caused a couple of funny looks :)

Sonora Rebel

1st off... get a hat. Secondly, was this 'old man' a tourista'... snowbird, local or what?

I would have responded similarly up to the 'You don't need to carry a gun' part. At that point... it would'a gotten ugly. His 'doesn't change the FACT' retort would'a put me over the edge.

I don't do 'nice'.