• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chesterfield Cops and DA Say Carrying Loaded Gun in Chesterfield County Parks ILLEGAL

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Might be good to keep this near the top until we see which way the wind is blowing....so here is a look at the Zoo )Rhino's anyway} Marco:

[video=vimeo;39239010]https://vimeo.com/39239010[/video]

Last edited:

TFred

Sec. 14-11. - Same—Hunting or carrying a loaded firearm near public schools or parks.
(b) No person shall transport, possess or carry a loaded firearm within 100 yards of any property line of any county public school or county park, except as otherwise permitted by state law

doesn't this(see bolded above) mean CC and OC are legal as they are permitted by state law? CC through permits and OC by no prohibition on it.
If I recall correctly, titles are not a part of the statute. And since this statute does not specifically address hunting, it is in clear violation of 15.2-915, as there is no correlating section anywhere in the Code of Virgina that expressly authorizes this ordinance.

TFred

VCDL President

Centurion
VCDL on it

As most know from Friday's alert, I am working the Chesterfield park issue. Actually there are two issues - the other is that the agreement for using the park pavilions says "no guns." This is further along (I started this ball rolling quietly a couple of weeks ago by coincidence) and is already in front of the County Attorney. Parks were very responsive on this.

My suggestion is let me work on the ordinance for now. I might call for a turnout when it comes before the Board of Supervisors. I would like to have a picnic in a Chesterfield park as soon as we have this resolved to celebrate it. In the extremely unlikely event that Chesterfield digs in its heals, we'll have a protest picnic instead.

We'll know soon if this is going to be a smooth or bumpy ride.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
As most know from Friday's alert, I am working the Chesterfield park issue. Actually there are two issues - the other is that the agreement for using the park pavilions says "no guns." This is further along (I started this ball rolling quietly a couple of weeks ago by coincidence) and is already in front of the County Attorney. Parks were very responsive on this.

My suggestion is let me work on the ordinance for now. I might call for a turnout when it comes before the Board of Supervisors. I would like to have a picnic in a Chesterfield park as soon as we have this resolved to celebrate it. In the extremely unlikely event that Chesterfield digs in its heals, we'll have a protest picnic instead.

Thanks Philip!

Please keep us informed of the progress.

It's still a good idea to keep 8/4 penciled in...

Last edited:

Riverdance

Police OC interactions in Chesterfield Parks

I've had interactions with police in Chesterfield parks on occasion over the years. All have been positive, although I had to explain single action 1911s to one who nervously warned my trigger was back. Guess it depends on the cop and his knowledge of the law.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've had interactions with police in Chesterfield parks on occasion over the years. All have been positive, although I had to explain single action 1911s to one who nervously warned my [strike]trigger[/strike] hammer was back. Guess it depends on the cop and his knowledge of the law.

Fixed it for you. :p

richarcm

Thank you for your help Philip!!! :)

SFCRetired

Fixed it for you. :p

Wouldn't be surprised if the original wording was correct. I've had several people use the same wording to me concerning my .45, to include a couple of LEOs who should have known better.

Good luck to y'all in Virginia. We're having a similar issue down here, but not quite as far along.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Philip, I certainly hope you aren't going to assist or even suggest rewriting the law.

What Chesterfield has is unlawful, illegal, not in compliance with Virginia Law....period. It needs to be taken off the books. VCDL by it's own admission doesn't represent hunters. Please just work to have the existing law removed from the books and let hunters deal with the county on hunting issues.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm up for a picnic anywhere in Chesterfield.

Right now I'm in a wait until next week, holding pattern RR.
You would know that if you hadn't played hooky this morning
stick%20with%20poke.gif
:lol:

TFred

Just out of curiosity, is there a tome/repository of exceptions that the GA gives to localities in exception of preemption, or are they scattered about the VA Code and VAC willy nilly?
There is no official list that I am aware of, but they make it pretty easy to find them in the Code, because 15.2-915 states that any exemptions must specifically refer to firearms:

"For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization."

Those key words can be used in your search.

TFred

Sangre

I've had interactions with police in Chesterfield parks on occasion over the years. All have been positive, although I had to explain single action 1911s to one who nervously warned my trigger was back. Guess it depends on the cop and his knowledge of the law.

So have I. I've only talked with one officer while carrying in a park, but have seen quite a few while visiting. Mostly in Huguenot Park where I visit fairly frequently. If I'm in town I'd love to stop by for a picnic.