• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Personal Attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

WARCHILD

My very good friend.... I understand why folks would become discouraged and stop posting. But I have a different perspective that perhaps might help.............

As long as I stay away, if I don't oppose the BS, then... the arseholes win.

Very true my friend but when the negatives outweigh the positive interactions; it's not worth my time to interact with them.
Kinda like dealing with anit's...once their mind is made up and position is made...you're never going to convince them otherwise!

nuff for today...back in the bushes

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
My very good friend.... I understand why folks would become discouraged and stop posting. But I have a different perspective that perhaps might help.............

As long as I stay away, if I don't oppose the BS, then... the arseholes win.

I agree. It's hard to correct things about which one refuses to be involved.

WARCHILD

Involved yes. Not joining the ******* matches and worthless bashing discussions...no.

I miss the old days of true discussion of trying to solve a problem and lay out a valid response plan. Don't see it happening much anymore; just armchair quarterbacks complaining about what should/not have been done.

BTW: the ole "hat" was retired and the new hat has yet to build it's reputation.

B

Bikenut

Involved yes. Not joining the ******* matches and worthless bashing discussions...no.

I miss the old days of true discussion of trying to solve a problem and lay out a valid response plan. Don't see it happening much anymore; just armchair quarterbacks complaining about what should/not have been done.

BTW: the ole "hat" was retired and the new hat has yet to build it's reputation.
And again I understand your perspective my friend (when we going to lunch? I think it's my turn to buy.) but again I have a different perspective in that peeing matches generally spew all sorts of misinformation and bad information that, if unchecked or not challenged, will be read.. and believed.. by some poor schmuck new to this whole thing. I know.. I used to be that schmuck.. and sometimes still am.

I don't argue for the sake of arguing.. but I do challenge BS just so the truth is told.

And it is the truth that needs to be told.. and told again.. and told again.. and again.. as often as it is needed to be told.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

I really don't blame people for leaving. I just think if it is done to send a message, people forget and just move on. But if they, like you, check in every once in a while, then at least the point can be made.

WARCHILD

I do truly miss the informed discussions that used to take place here. I for one have to admit that most of what I know now, I learned on this forum and/or from the people in it.
I have been following a little more in the last few weeks but have seen the posts still degrade to attacks; some in a very short time.
I have many questions even regarding the latest bills but will take it up with Venator or someone...FTF or PM.
The last time I tried to understand a bill was...well let's say ill received because of my misinformed opinion.
I hesitate to have the same experience; hence my dismay of the lost ability to calmly educate a reasonable question, so I look elsewhere for the answer.

griffin

I am a relative n00b here, less than one year member and OCer, so I don't know the people you are talking about who've left this forum. I will tell you, though, that OCDO, as well as MOC, have been invaluable to me as a relatively new OCer. I owe both of you a debt of gratitude. I have carried for about 18 years, but always CC until last year. I am so thankful to you here and over at MOC, and I have stated so in several posts.

These forums are invaluable to both new OCers like myself as well as to long-time OCers because, as we see almost daily, the laws are continually changing, and these forums help us to keep abreast of those changes, and to become a part of them and to influence them if we wish.

The benefit of these forums cannot be overstated. It is sad to read of people leaving.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

I do know how and used to do just that. I'm saying it is no longer worth my time and effort to do so. My opinions are not worth the effort.
I find your opinions to have great worth... well.... all except your opinion of what is a good looking hat.:lol:

Tucker6900

Lately, I find myself attempting to interject my thoughts and opinions more and more here. I feel as though I have earned the right here to say certain things without being flamed. With that in mind, I have also admitted to being wrong, which is not easy for alot of people, including me.

Some people have a harder time realizing what they are doing to other people, or even themselves. And I often question a couple of members true beliefs. But, its their right.

We need to remember what we are all here for. Lets not fight amongst each other. If we do, they will eventually win.

P.S. And if thats not easy for some to remember, the rules of this board prohibit personal attacks. And while the staff have been trying to keep it under control, we need to police ourselves.

kubel

It is sad to read of people leaving.

The phrase "an armed society is a polite society" is unfortunately a lie. The community seems to look up to these type of people and they tend to hold various leadership roles. I'm quite content going solo. I would rather have a lack of support than an abundance of discouragement.

That's all I'll say about that.

autosurgeon

The phrase "an armed society is a polite society" is unfortunately a lie. The community seems to look up to these type of people and they tend to hold various leadership roles. I'm quite content going solo. I would rather have a lack of support than an abundance of discouragement.

That's all I'll say about that.

While the repeated personal attacks are unnecessary I know why they happen. The leaders of various groups constantly get attacked themselves about the antics of the persons they attack. This is not an excuse but rather I do understand unfortunately.

And the saying is accurate if you are talking about in person discussion. Unfortunately people tend to get carried away behind the keyboard.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

kubel

While the repeated personal attacks are unnecessary I know why they happen. The leaders of various groups constantly get attacked themselves about the antics of the persons they attack. This is not an excuse but rather I do understand unfortunately.

I see what you are saying, but if they or anyone else has a problem, they need to take it to PM, or they need to make an effort to not respond with personal attacks or bullying.

I have not renewed my membership with MOC simply because of the issues explained in this thread. The personal attacks are hurting us more than the antics.

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

i think its excessive, i know of a few people that dont come to ocdo simply because of the nonsense that many users here partake in(that is, constant personal attacks, luckily the worst offenders have been banned)

and i know that alot of old regulars stopped posting because of the bickering, mikestilly, kimberguy, kyleplusitunes and thway just to name a few.

stainless very rarely, if ever, resorts to personal attacks even though nearly every post he makes garners at least one personal attack against him. He has always tried to stay true to the topic even when his views are not popular, and many of the people bickering about him say/do the same or similar things and then blow up when somebody even suggests that they're view is inappropriate.

its mostly the "elitist" group that does it...the guys that are making $25+ an hour, a $600+ gun and always dress business casual at "worst" and think that anything less is unacceptable in public, especially for open carry....its those guys, both in and out of gun rights organization leadership roles that are bad for the public image.

also note that most of those "elite" have histories many would deem more objectionable than that of stainless...prone to verbal fits of rage,extreme perverseness, history of verbal threats, compulsive liars, history of stalking former spouses, alcohol abuse...those are just some of the histories of those elitists when compared to stainless's supposed CC in no-cc zone.

many people act like stainless is the only one with stinky sh*t, when in reality most of them have sh*t that stinks twice as bad if not worse.

btw,MP9, kimberguy still is a regular lurker, just barely posts...

Great post in trying to bring people together... Didn't the OP ask for the Personal Attacks to stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.