Thread: Can I open carry while mountain biking?

Can I open carry while mountain biking?

Ive looked around quite a bit, and cant seem to find the info I'm looking for.

Basically, I mountain bike a lot, and I want to carry my gun with me. I'm currently waiting for my CWP, so for now I have to open carry. Am I allowed to open carry while riding a bicycle? Rarely do I ride on the road... but the last thing I want to deal with is getting stopped while on the road, and have my bike be considered a "vehicle."

Thanks in Advance.

Title 12 Sec 10001

41.Motor vehicle. "Motor vehicle" means any motor-driven vehicle, except motorboats.
    Open carry on a bicycle is fine as long as it's not a motorized bicycle. Note that the ban on loaded carry without a permit applies to both motor vehicles and motor boats.

Thanks, Ive been looking online for hours... Never thought to look up the actual definition of a motor vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by boyscout399 View Post
    Title 12 Sec 10001

Open carry on a bicycle is fine as long as it's not a motorized bicycle. Note that the ban on loaded carry without a permit applies to both motor vehicles and motor boats.
    I am confused. What you cited says motorboats are not motorized vehicles, yet you say that the ban applies to boats too.

Would that apply to motorized wheelchairs too? Would that be an ADA violation?

Quote Originally Posted by Flashlight View Post
    I am confused. What you cited says motorboats are not motorized vehicles, yet you say that the ban applies to boats too.

Would that apply to motorized wheelchairs too? Would that be an ADA violation?
    Oops. I just re-read the statute, and it does not mention motor-boats, just motor vehicles and trailers

By the letter of the law a motorized wheelchair would fit the definition of a "motor vehicle" and therefore you'd need a permit to carry a loaded firearm. Having said that, I can't see any police officer in their right mind, or any jury convicting you of that crime.
    Last edited by boyscout399; 07-14-2012 at 06:12 AM.

Many no carry zones you should be aware of including within 1000 of a public school...
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

www.mainecwptraining.com

(207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063