• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

INDIANA GAMESTOP open carry issues

Mayberryy

The Indiana gamestops are looking into banning Law abiding open carriers. I recently got off the phone with the district manager of the one located by me. The store manager told me that I can not bring it in the store. But when i called the district manager, he said i am free to carry the firearm inside but it has to be covered. It is a private business and they do have the right to deny service. I think everyone should look into some of the firarm issues of your local franchises.

:D

mission accomplished.

CathyInBlue

IC 35-47-11.1 only applies to local units of government. They do not apply to private entities like residences and businesses. If a business owner is so offended by the color red, he is free to post his entrance with a notice banning people who enter his store from wearing the color red, and it would be 110% legal, because wearing the color red is not an inherent aspect of a human being's personhood, like gender, race, religion, etc. Likewise, carrying a personal protection sidearm is not an inherent aspect of your humanity.

That being said, the General Assembly has just passed a law that itself bans smoking in almost all indoor business establishments on its own. It can be argued that if the government can interfere with such a business decision as that, they it could further interfere with business decisions like this and prohibit businesses open to the public from excluding people lawfully bearing arms, but I don't expect such an occurrence in my lifetime.

bung

I just sent them an email, as we all should.

I recently learned that a fellow open carrier (openly carry legally possessed firearms) was informed by a district manager of an Indiana Game Stop that he was not allowed to open carry his firearm into the store and could carry it, if if were concealed. First, I shop at my local store and open carry, not once has it been an issue. There is also a sore lack of notification on the door as to this firearm policy. Second, open carry in the state of Indiana is legal, if you do not allow open carry in your store, then I will not be shopping there or from your website. I would hope this district manager was just misinformed and that it is understood nothing deters crime more than an armed victim. If your policy is not to deny service to open carriers (or you lack a policy at all) then I would be happy to continue shopping at my local Game Stop, as I enjoy looking through the used games and chatting with the friendly employees there. I look forward to your reply.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I just sent them an email, as we all should.

I recently learned that a fellow open carrier (openly carry legally possessed firearms) was informed by a district manager of an Indiana Game Stop that he was not allowed to open carry his firearm into the store and could carry it, if if were concealed. First, I shop at my local store and open carry, not once has it been an issue. There is also a sore lack of notification on the door as to this firearm policy. Second, open carry in the state of Indiana is legal, if you do not allow open carry in your store, then I will not be shopping there or from your website. I would hope this district manager was just misinformed and that it is understood nothing deters crime more than an armed victim. If your policy is not to deny service to open carriers (or you lack a policy at all) then I would be happy to continue shopping at my local Game Stop, as I enjoy looking through the used games and chatting with the friendly employees there. I look forward to your reply.

Please, please never encourage gun buster signage.

OC may be legal, but Game Stop is private property so they may make an rules they like regarding carrying.

If you get a response to your email, please publish it here.

Titanium_frost

Please, please never encourage gun buster signage.

OC may be legal, but Game Stop is private property so they may make an rules they like regarding carrying.

If you get a response to your email, please publish it here.

This may be discussed to death on other parts of the forum and if it is I apologize but IMO if I am expected to act a certain way in addition to the law of the land on private property I would like to be informed of it prior to my arrival.

This serves two functions:

1) It allows me to take my business elsewhere if possible.

2) It allows me to conceal it if I must be there with no other alternatives and avoid an embarassing situation that no one wants to be in.

I very much respect the right of private property to create their own rules as long as those rules do not supercede the law or become law in and of themselves. Just as it is my ability (most times) to spend my money elsewhere.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This may be discussed to death on other parts of the forum and if it is I apologize but IMO if I am expected to act a certain way in addition to the law of the land on private property I would like to be informed of it prior to my arrival.

This serves two functions:

1) It allows me to take my business elsewhere if possible.

2) It allows me to conceal it if I must be there with no other alternatives and avoid an embarassing situation that no one wants to be in.

I very much respect the right of private property to create their own rules as long as those rules do not supercede the law or become law in and of themselves. Just as it is my ability (most times) to spend my money elsewhere.

Indeed it has been discussed.....over and over each time.

The problem with such signs is that they encourage and thereby promote public signage for everybody to see. There is too much negative content out there already - don't ask for more.

Never have seen the problem of stores w/o signage as I presume that they are at least neutral on the issue. Personally, I am never too embarrassed to engage a shop owner or restaurant manager in a responsible fashion.

Titanium_frost

Indeed it has been discussed.....over and over each time.

The problem with such signs is that they encourage and thereby promote public signage for everybody to see. There is too much negative content out there already - don't ask for more.

Never have seen the problem of stores w/o signage as I presume that they are at least neutral on the issue. Personally, I am never too embarrassed to engage a shop owner or restaurant manager in a responsible fashion.

I think this happens to be a personal issue. I'll look for some of the discussion threads and research the issue so as to not retread it here.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think this happens to be a personal issue. I'll look for some of the discussion threads and research the issue so as to not retread it here.

It may be a personal preference to know in advance - local unfriendly lists, experience ratings, provide that.

Both Mike & John, OCDO owners, are strongly united in the affront that such signs cause as well as the negative advertising display.

Titanium_frost

It may be a personal preference to know in advance - local unfriendly lists, experience ratings, provide that.

Both Mike & John, OCDO owners, are strongly united in the affront that such signs cause as well as the negative advertising display.

LOL! In my area I am definitely the one doing the research/test subject not the other way around. You ever hear about a lawsuit in Evansville? :lol:

I certainly don't advocate for the placement of signs, I would much rather see property owners come to an understanding that placing signage or having policies does NOTHING to increase public safety.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
LOL! In my area I am definitely the one doing the research/test subject not the other way around. You ever hear about a lawsuit in Evansville? :lol:

I certainly don't advocate for the placement of signs, I would much rather see property owners come to an understanding that placing signage or having policies does NOTHING to increase public safety.

OK - I'll give you that you may be an "army of one", but then you would be carrying such a list in your back pocket.

Here are a few you might like:
https://www.google.com/search?q=pro...uB6nu0gHk_tXwAw&ved=0CG4QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=603

Titanium_frost

OK - I'll give you that you may be an "army of one", but then you would be carrying such a list in your back pocket.

Here are a few you might like:
https://www.google.com/search?q=pro...uB6nu0gHk_tXwAw&ved=0CG4QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=603

Ha! yeah those are much better than gun busters for sure. I have tried to make a list and even inlisted the help of others statewide but it just gets sidetracked so easily. I have the basics memorized and that gets me by for now.