Thread: Swimming in rivers

Swimming in rivers

My friends and I love to go swimming in the Colorado river when the water is high and the currents are strong. But because of the droughts, the river stays low and the currents are weak. But with all the rain recently, the river flooded and the currents got pretty strong. So about a day or so after the rains stopped, my friend, my sister and I all went down to swim at 2am.

But because it was dark, the currents are really strong in certain areas and my sister was so drunk that she couldn't stand, all we could do was wade in the water. We did that for about 2-3 hours and had a lot of fun. But we decided to call it a night and return later in the day to actually enjoy the strong currents. But by the time we got back to the river, less than 12 hours later, the river had already lowered two feet or more. The river bank grew about five feet and the currents weren't nearly as strong.

Was so depressing.

The water is a blast, I grow up near Lake Michigan, had two ponds and a trout stream in the back yard, spent much time in all of them including other area lakes, and the Kalamazoo & Portage River fishing and swimming, ice fishing and playing hockey. Then all the years swimming off the Coronado Beach in California, and now fishing here in the sound, lakes and rivers, and panning.

But you know I've always been more leery of the rivers. I wondered which bodies encounter the most drowning, I found in one report lakes took the higher percentage, I would have figured rivers. for the fast sweeping currents, and under water hazards.

http://www.ilsf.org/en/drowning/facts

http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreation...factsheet.html

http://www.ok.gov/health/documents/Why_People_Drown.pdf
    Last edited by jbone; 07-14-2012 at 12:10 PM.
    Iím proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    My friends and I love to go swimming in the Colorado river when the water is high and the currents are strong. But because of the droughts, the river stays low and the currents are weak. But with all the rain recently, the river flooded and the currents got pretty strong. So about a day or so after the rains stopped, my friend, my sister and I all went down to swim at 2am.

But because it was dark, the currents are really strong in certain areas and my sister was so drunk that she couldn't stand, all we could do was wade in the water. We did that for about 2-3 hours and had a lot of fun. But we decided to call it a night and return later in the day to actually enjoy the strong currents. But by the time we got back to the river, less than 12 hours later, the river had already lowered two feet or more. The river bank grew about five feet and the currents weren't nearly as strong.

Was so depressing.
    This sounds like a common news story around here. All that's missing is the part about 'unable to find the body'.
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by ak56 View Post
    This sounds like a common news story around here. All that's missing is the part about 'unable to find the body'.
    No kidding. This summer, my wife likes to update me on the drowning counts for Texas. In almost every case, it's some dumbass who shouldn't have been in the water in the first place.

Dear Everyone,
    Waterways are not swimming pools. You get what you have coming.
    Love,
    ()pen(arry

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbone View Post
    The water is a blast, I grow up near Lake Michigan, had two ponds and a trout stream in the back yard, spent much time in all of them including other area lakes, and the Kalamazoo & Portage River fishing and swimming, ice fishing and playing hockey. Then all the years swimming off the Coronado Beach in California, and now fishing here in the sound, lakes and rivers, and panning.

But you know I've always been more leery of the rivers. I wondered which bodies encounter the most drowning, I found in one report lakes took the higher percentage, I would have figured rivers. for the fast sweeping currents, and under water hazards.

http://www.ilsf.org/en/drowning/facts

http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreation...factsheet.html

http://www.ok.gov/health/documents/Why_People_Drown.pdf
    You Pan Jeff? I bought a pan and simple gear because my wife wanted to try but I have no friggin idea on where to go or how to do it.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    You Pan Jeff? I bought a pan and simple gear because my wife wanted to try but I have no friggin idea on where to go or how to do it.
    My first year, and have had some luck. These sites help you with some needed info, to keep you safe and legal. I don't belong to any propecting orgization but it's an option to travel to their private claims.

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/ger_gold_panning.pdf
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/mining/
    http://www.goldfeverprospecting.com/wastgoprandp.html
    http://washingtonprospectors.org/index.html

1911er is also into panning, think he mentioned he's been doing it a few years now.

I know there's a place on the Nooksack South of you that has public access, seems the access was somewhere around Kesselring gun store? I'll find out. But really find good public access to a river, that has the right stuff. Every time I head up into the hills hunting and shooting I now carry some prospecting equipment. I've got as many fakes sampling hill side cuts from snow melt run off as I have in the river itself.

PM me for me info.

Iím proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

I used to be a water child, even after I almost drowned. Then, over the years, as I discovered more and more about what virus's and pollution are in lakes and rivers, I decided to stick with indoor heated swimming pools or hot tubs. Now, the only time I get in water is the shower, or getting caught in the rain.
    Be safe, be prepared, and carry on!

Alle Ihre Basisstation jetzt zu uns gehŲren

I won't swim in any lakes or rivers after last years news about folks dying from brain eating amoebas. Not that pools are 100% safe (found my first ever scorpion dead at the bottom of a friends' pool during the 4th of July) but, I don't swim that often anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by WOD View Post
    I used to be a water child, even after I almost drowned. Then, over the years, as I discovered more and more about what virus's and pollution are in lakes and rivers, I decided to stick with indoor heated swimming pools or hot tubs. Now, the only time I get in water is the shower, or getting caught in the rain.
    Hot tubs are a cesspit of nasty. They're like female bathrooms, except that you're soaking in a people and germ soup.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    Hot tubs are a cesspit of nasty. They're like female bathrooms, except that you're soaking in a people and germ soup.
    What ladies bathroom were YOU in??? o.O

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post

That reminds me of a story. The family and I were at a water park and we decided to go to a different part and ride regular rides. So I grabbed my clothes from the outdoor lockers and headed for the Men's locker room. My wife called out to me and I walked over to her to see what she wanted. Anyway, Blah,blah,blah, we finished our conversation and I turned to enter the Men's locker room. As I walked in, I stood there in shock. While being in front of the right entrance the first time, when my wife called me, I walked about 10 feet to talk, putting me in front of the Women's locker room. I turned and walked in. About 10 women in there and I don't think anybody even saw my mistake. Anyway, the luck (or lack there of) I have, I didn't see a thing. Damn it! Now what's the odds of that?
    watch your top knot !

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    Female restrooms are germ infested nightmares. Public ones anyway, can't speak to private bathrooms. Even if a female restroom is cleaner physically than a man's, there's still a lot more germs. This is what I was talking about.

Hot tubs are harder to keep clean than pools, the heat evaporates the chlorine faster than it would in a pool. Chlorine can't kill all the germs either, and while hot tubs are heated quite a bit, they aren't heated to the point where it'll kill the germs. Then you start thinking about how much smaller than a pool a hot tub is, more germs per square inch. Then it really starts to get disgusting when you think about all the filthy people that get into them. What people have found in hot tubs will make you barf. It's bad enough in a pool, but then you increase the concentration. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.