• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got some questions for the masses....

Superduty

SuperDuty,

As your questions have all been answered, let me be the 4th from Spokane to welcome you and encourage you to give us a heads up when you get to town so that we can welcome you properly with a cup of coffee and Bacon Maple Bar! :lol:

We sold our home in Texas yesterday...I should be in Spokane in less thana month. I mentioned to my sister, who lives in Spokane valley, about open carry and she said she has never heard of it. Or ever seen anyone doing it. She has lived there for over 3 years.

So,is open carry a regular thing? How many people do you run across doing it in a single day?

Thanks, still trying to get my head around it.

Last edited:

EtdBob

Howdy SD.
I live north of Spokanistan but work in Airway Heights, so I get to drive through the city every working day.
I think you'll love the area, with the possible exception of the odd winter storm. Do you like snow?

To answer your question, I've carried concealed for decades, and have spotted quite a few others doing so over the years. Carrying a concealed weapon isn't the norm, but it isn't terribly unusual up here.
Carry open however, is unusual. I'm not sure why really, but apart from the meeting up with this group of fellers, I have seen but one other individual open carrying over the years. It's so rare an event, it's sometimes referred to as "seeing a unicorn".

I carry open all summer long, often a big single action revolver on a cowboy gun belt, and I have yet to have an unfavorable comment or incident about it, so while it is unusual, it is also usually tolerated quite well in many areas.

Thor80

We sold our home in Texas yesterday...I should be in Spokane in less thana month. I mentioned to my sister, who lives in Spokane valley, about open carry and she said she has never heard of it. Or ever seen anyone doing it. She has lived there for over 3 years.

So,is open carry a regular thing? How many people do you run across doing it in a single day?

Thanks, still trying to get my head around it.

OC is not really "regular" anywhere yet. I live in Spokane county just north of the valley and spend most of my time in the valley or ID. Never had any real issues. Im pretty much a
homebody but I do get out and about to all the major places. I rode my bicycle with the family down Sullivan rd to the frozen yogurt place and back home OC the other day and not a word said by anyone. Spokane Valley PD is actually the sheriffs dept which also helps because they are up to speed on OC and typically won't even approach you. We have a very good Sheriff here!

-Thor

Superduty

Thank you for the comments.

Looks like we have to be out of our home by Sept 1st. I'm making a trip with a 25' enclosed trailer around Aug 3-10th, then head back to get my Airstream and the wife.

Any places to avoid renting a home in Spokane? I have looked and it's difficult to tell from some of the photos on which is a safe neighborhood,..keeping this gun related,... ;)

Shane