• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Romney The GOP Candidate...

Beretta92FSLady

Apparently Romney, the GOP candidate, is not in touch with many aspect of his own life. Here are just a couple of examples:

Romney has stated (for whatever reason), that he had left Bain in 1999, yet he was the CE until 2002. Why he would dodge this issue, and act as if he was not connected with Bain after 1999 begs a huge question: Why?

"
Mr. Romney reiterated on Friday that he had no role in running Bain after early 1999, when he left to take over management of the Salt Lake City Olympic Games. The Boston Globe reported Thursday on S.E.C. documents listing Mr. Romney as chief executive of Bain through 2002, a period in which Mr. Romney has said he was negotiating his formal departure from the company but was not involved in its management or investment decisions.

“I was the owner of an entity which was a management entity,” Mr. Romney said on CBS, calling the questions about Bain the “height of silliness” to be having. “That entity was one which I had ownership of until the time of the retirement program was put in place. But I had no responsibility whatsoever after February of ’99 for the management or ownership — management, rather, of Bain Capital.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/14/u...y-from-obama-on-bain-allegations.html?_r=1&hp

Romney has a great deal of money, even Romney is not disputing this...yet. But he has no control over his own finances, his finances are apparently in a Blind Trust:

""With regard to any foreign investments, I understand, and you understand of course, that my investments have been held by a blind trust, have been managed by a trustee," Romney said. "I don't manage them. I don't even know where they are. That trustee follows all U.S. laws. All the taxes are paid, as appropriate. All of them have been reported to the government. There's nothing hidden there."

I am not implying, nor stating that there is a Conspiracy. I just think it odd that Romney dodges these two issues, tooth-and-nail, and for what? It seems that if he he just open-up about these thing, there will be no issue.

Am I wrong about this, or is the GOP attempting to throw the 2012 election?

Romney 2012!

Last edited:

SFCRetired

1. As concerns the first point: Romney may well have been listed as CE of Bain, but for other reasons not engaged in the operations of the firm. As an example: My commander went on leave and the executive officer filled in. The commander was still the commander, but the executive officer was acting as commander in his absence. Granted it is a different ballgame in the military, but Romney's story is a close parallel. Naturally, the Obama-ites are going to make much of the "discrepancy".

2. It is my understanding that wealthy office holders usually place their holdiings in a blind trust to avoid the appearance of conflicts of interest. I have no cites as to a legal requirement, though. If Mr. Romney has done so, then he has no direct control of his assets and they are being controlled by his agent. Again, I do not see a problem with this. If he has been made aware that his agent has made some questionable investments, then I would expect him to fire that agent and get another one.

3. Although I have serious misgivings about Mr. Romney, my misgivings concerning the present office holder are far more serious and far more wide-ranging. And to be perfectly, frankly honest, only Mr. Romney or Mr. Obama have the chance of a gas can in Hell of being elected.

4. Who am I going to vote for? Take a SWAG at it.

()pen(arry

Begging the Question

Before you insist that it has a new meaning, are you really prepared to admit that you've adopted the mass ignorance of the mouth-breathing populace? The wide-spread misuse of this phrase is not more than five years old (no, you have not being saying this "forever", you've been saying "raises the question", which is perfectly satisfactory, and has the added benefit of being intelligible). Not even dictionary.com, first refuge of the mumpsimus and malapropism, grants leniency to people who misuse the term. If you don't have a solid grounding in formal logic, you would do well to avoid this expression.

And no, I don't have anything to say with regard to your attention-baiting post.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

Begging the Question

Before you insist that it has a new meaning, are you really prepared to admit that you've adopted the mass ignorance of the mouth-breathing populace? The wide-spread misuse of this phrase is not more than five years old (no, you have not being saying this "forever", you've been saying "raises the question", which is perfectly satisfactory, and has the added benefit of being intelligible). Not even dictionary.com, first refuge of the mumpsimus and malapropism, grants leniency to people who misuse the term. If you don't have a solid grounding in formal logic, you would do well to avoid this expression.

And no, I don't have anything to say with regard to your attention-baiting post.

I am not sure I want to know what you are referring to.

UPDATE, I see what you were referring to, I ought to have worded the line different. I am going to keep it intact, just to piss you oft.

Last edited:

()pen(arry

I am not sure I want to know what you are referring to.

Why he would dodge this issue, and act as if he was not connected with Bain after 1999 begs a huge question: Why?

Did you lose track of what you posted? Was reviewing your own words taxing?

A person who pronounces "nuclear" as "nook-yoo-luhr" starts out at a severe respect-deficit with me. A person who misuses the phrase "begs [the] question" earns no more.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Facts about Mitt Romney

Just Some Real Facts About Mitt Romney That We Will Not Hear About From The Lame Stream Media About The Real Mitt Romney!

After going to both Harvard Business School and Harvard Law School simultaneously, he passed the Michigan bar, but never worked as an attorney.

As a venture-capitalist, Romney's first major business deal involved investing in a start-up office supply company with one store in Massachusetts that sold office supplies. That company, called Staples, now has over 2,000 stores and employs over 90,000 people.

Romney or his company Bain Capital (using what became known as the "Bain Way") would go on to perform the same kinds of business miracles again and again, with companies like Domino's, Sealy, Brookstone, Weather Channel, Burger King, Warner Music Group, Dollarama, Home Depot Supply, and many others.

Got your calculators handy? Let's recap.

Volunteer campaign worker for his dad's gubernatorial campaign 1 year.

Unpaid intern in Governor's office 8 years.

Mormon missionary in Paris 2 years.

Unpaid bishop and state president for his church 10 years.

No salary as president of the Olympics 3 years.

No salary as MA governor 4 years.

That's a grand total of 28 years of unpaid service to his country, his community and his church. Why?Because that's the kind of man Mitt Romney is!

And in 2011 Mitt Romney gave over $4 million to charity, almost 19% of his income.

Meanwhile, in the other camp:

Obama gave 1%

Joe Biden gave $300 or .0013%

This is real character vs.... well you know what!

Romney may not be the best representative the Republicans could have selected. At least I know what religion he is, and that he won't desecrate the flag, bow down to foreign powers, or squander my money on vacations. I know he has the ability to turn this financial debacle that the "Spending President" has gotten us into. We didn't know that when Obama said he'd give us change, he meant nickels and dimes, and he would get the big bucks. We won’t like all the things necessary to recover from this debt, but someone with Romney’s background can do it.

But, on the minus side, He never was a "Community Organizer", never took drugs or smoked pot. Never got drunk. Did not associate with communists or terrorists. Nor did he attend a church whose pastor called for God to damn the US. Nope! In these respects, Obama has way more experience than Romney... :eek:

Romney has stated (for whatever reason), that he had left Bain in 1999, yet he was the CE until 2002. Why he would dodge this issue, and act as if he was not connected with Bain after 1999 begs a huge question: Why?

CEOs are rarely replaced instantaneously, and the old ones are often kept on the books until they're officially replaced, usually in an advisory role. Sometimes they're kept on the books long after the position is filled.

Romney has a great deal of money, even Romney is not disputing this...yet. But he has no control over his own finances, his finances are apparently in a Blind Trust.

The use of blind trusts are a common practice among politicians: "A blind trust is a trust in which the fiduciaries, namely the trustees or those who have been given power of attorney, have full discretion over the assets, and the trust beneficiaries have no knowledge of the holdings of the trust and no right to intervene in their handling. Blind trusts are generally used when a settlor (sometimes called a trustor or donor) wishes to keep the beneficiary unaware of the specific assets in the trust, such as to avoid conflict of interest between the beneficiary and the investments. Politicians or others in sensitive positions often place their personal assets (including investment income) into blind trusts, to avoid public scrutiny and accusations of conflicts of interest when they direct government funds to the private sector." - Wikipedia

When a politician knows what's in their trust, that knowledge may lead them to misuse that knowledge for personal gain at the expense of the people he serves. Blind trusts not only avoid the appearance of impropriety, they avoid impropriety altogether. That's a good thing, Beretta92FSLady.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. Nearly all Obama-followers are fed tidbits of misinformation to keep them wagging their tails at their master while barking at the slightest perceived threat.

The problem is there is no threat, at least not from Romney. The threat is from Obama.

Am I wrong about this...

Yes. You are wrong about this.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Just Some Real Facts About Mitt Romney That We Will Not Hear About From The Lame Stream Media About The Real Mitt Romney!

After going to both Harvard Business School and Harvard Law School simultaneously, he passed the Michigan bar, but never worked as an attorney.

As a venture-capitalist, Romney's first major business deal involved investing in a start-up office supply company with one store in Massachusetts that sold office supplies. That company, called Staples, now has over 2,000 stores and employs over 90,000 people.

Romney or his company Bain Capital (using what became known as the "Bain Way") would go on to perform the same kinds of business miracles again and again, with companies like Domino's, Sealy, Brookstone, Weather Channel, Burger King, Warner Music Group, Dollarama, Home Depot Supply, and many others.

That's a grand total of 28 years of unpaid service to his country, his community and his church. Why?Because that's the kind of man Mitt Romney is!

And in 2011 Mitt Romney gave over $4 million to charity, almost 19% of his income.

Obama gave 1%

Romney may not be the best representative the Republicans could have selected. At least I know what religion he is, and that he won't desecrate the flag, bow down to foreign powers, or squander my money on vacations. I know he has the ability to turn this financial debacle that the "Spending President" has gotten us into. We didn't know that when Obama said he'd give us change, he meant nickels and dimes, and he would get the big bucks. We won’t like all the things necessary to recover from this debt, but someone with Romney’s background can do it.

But, on the minus side, He never was a "Community Organizer", never took drugs or smoked pot. Never got drunk. Did not associate with communists or terrorists. Nor did he attend a church whose pastor called for God to damn the US. Nope! In these respects, Obama has way more experience than Romney... :eek:

CEOs are rarely replaced instantaneously, and the old ones are often kept on the books until they're officially replaced, usually in an advisory role. Sometimes they're kept on the books long after the position is filled.

The use of blind trusts are a common practice among politicians: "A blind trust is a trust in which the fiduciaries, namely the trustees or those who have been given power of attorney, have full discretion over the assets, and the trust beneficiaries have no knowledge of the holdings of the trust and no right to intervene in their handling. Blind trusts are generally used when a settlor (sometimes called a trustor or donor) wishes to keep the beneficiary unaware of the specific assets in the trust, such as to avoid conflict of interest between the beneficiary and the investments. Politicians or others in sensitive positions often place their personal assets (including investment income) into blind trusts, to avoid public scrutiny and accusations of conflicts of interest when they direct government funds to the private sector." - Wikipedia

When a politician knows what's in their trust, that knowledge may lead them to misuse that knowledge for personal gain at the expense of the people he serves. Blind trusts not only avoid the appearance of impropriety, they avoid impropriety altogether. That's a good thing, Beretta92FSLady.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. Nearly all Obama-followers are fed tidbits of misinformation to keep them wagging their tails at their master while barking at the slightest perceived threat.

The problem is there is no threat, at least not from Romney. The threat is from Obama.

Wow ouch that's gotta hurt the liberals to hear. I am not a Romney fan, but it is clear he is a much better person than Obama. But then a sewer rat is a better person than Obama.

hjmoosejaw

Obama gave 1%

ZING! Come on Libs, start listing some qualities and credentials like that about the Almighty Obama, we'll wait....................................................................................................................................................Still waiting!

since9

Campaign Veteran
Meanwhile, Obama Admits to ordering assassinations of innocent civilians...

Article.

"Recently I wrote an article on the appointment of the shady character known as John Brennan in a role I dubbed as America’s first ever Assassination Czar. According to reports from the Associated Press, John Brennan has now seized the lead in choosing who will be targeted for drone attacks and raids after Obama delegated him as the sole authority to designate people for assassination under the United States top-secret assassination program."

But that's just the beginning! Read on:

"For starters Obama has admitted that teenagers, including a 17 year-old girl, and several American citizens are potential targets for the secret assassination list."

...and...

"Computer algorithms monitoring that have been taught using machine learning that certain behaviors or actions detected across a sophisticated network of high tech-surveillance equipment constitute probable terrorist activity are used to flag targets."

Oh, by the way: "Meanwhile, the US government has implied in statements those who report that these casualties are innocent civilian casualties and not militant combatants..."

So, what's happening under Obama now? "The US government is now arming drones operating at military bases inside the United States with missiles to help train for the deployment of 30,000 drones over U.S. skies. At the same time tens of thousands of sophisticated discrete solar powered and other ground censors which are used to feed information to the drones, similar to those already deployed throughout Afghanistan and Pakistan, are being deployed inside of the United States as the NSA continues building a $2 billion dollar quantum computing data center."

You know what this tells me? It tells me Obama's getting ready to fight the civil war that will ensue if he looses the election and tries to stay in office anyway. That's what it tells me.

Dear U.S. Military: We all took an oath. Our loyalty is to our country, not our chain of command, and not even our Commander in Chief. Our oath is to our Constitution, the foundation upon which our country operations, and any individual or institution which violates our Constitution is the enemy. Protect and defend our Constitution against ALL enemies, foreign and domestic. As officers, warrants, non-commissioned officers, and enlisted, that is our right, our privilege, and our duty.

BE AN AMERICAN! DO YOUR DUTY! HONOR YOUR OATH OF OFFICE/ENLISTMENT!!!

By the way, that requires those of you with integrity to vote the enemy out of office.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member

Obama gave 1%

I enjoyed this rebuttal, and indeed she is wrong about this, just like almost everything else.

Redbaron007

Well stated Since9!

BG92 is known, prolly by almost all that peruse this forum, as a leaning leftist liberal teetotaler. It is not surprising to see her spewing the known MSNBC (although now I think it is called NBCNews) talking points. Facts are generally not her strong point. :p Much of what she is stating has been around for several years...nothing new.

You have to take what she says with a grain of salt, most of the time. However, she is entertaining! :lol:

Beretta92FSLady

Well stated Since9!

BG92 is known, prolly by almost all that peruse this forum, as a leaning leftist liberal teetotaler. It is not surprising to see her spewing the known MSNBC (although now I think it is called NBCNews) talking points. Facts are generally not her strong point. :p Much of what she is stating has been around for several years...nothing new.

You have to take what she says with a grain of salt, most of the time. However, she is entertaining! :lol:

I wish I had a television.

I am a Liberal...for the most part. That is, except for the 92FS I have holstered at my side every moment of the day...and the death penalty ought to be used more, not as a deterrent, rather, because some SOB's deserve to be executed to death.

Redbaron007

I am a Liberal...for the most part. That is, except for the 92FS I have holstered at my side every moment of the day...and the death penalty ought to be used more, not as a deterrent, rather, because some SOB's deserve to be executed to death.

:lol::lol:

Thx!

WalkingWolf

What DOB's don't deserve to be executed to death? Is there any other way to execute a person other than death?

Tawnos

Mmm, email spam
http://www.bing.com/search?q="Just+...om+The+Lame+Stream+Media"&form=MOZSBR&pc=MOZI

Are we playing forward the crap we can find on the internet?
http://thinkprogress.org/romney-facts/?mobile=nc

Of course, the real deal is that Romney either lied to the American people or to the SEC. Since the latter is a felony, I'm just going to guess he's blowing smoke up our asses. "Retroactively retired" - brilliant failure of a cop-out.

Beretta92FSLady

Mmm, email spam
http://www.bing.com/search?q="Just+...om+The+Lame+Stream+Media"&form=MOZSBR&pc=MOZI

Are we playing forward the crap we can find on the internet?
http://thinkprogress.org/romney-facts/?mobile=nc

Of course, the real deal is that Romney either lied to the American people or to the SEC. Since the latter is a felony, I'm just going to guess he's blowing smoke up our asses. "Retroactively retired" - brilliant failure of a cop-out.

Your latter link:

"
66. Campaigning in 1994, Mitt Romney said "I don't line up with the NRA." Today, Mitt Romney is a lifetime member of the NRA.
[Time, 05/10/2007]
openshareicon-16x16.png
67. Mitt Romney criticized Ted Kennedy for not being tough enough on guns.
[The Boston Globe, 08/27/1994]"

There's the Mitt I know.

BTW, I really like this one:

91. Mitt Romney considers himself "in sync" with the Tea Party.
[Reuters, 08/18/2011]

Last edited: