• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Milwaukee zoo???

scorpio_vette

so i'm having a hard time making up my mind on this, and hoping some of you can help with actually text, which most of you are good with.

milwaukee zoo.

1) anybody know if it's posted???
2) if not, it should be legit (for this case, i have a CCW, but info for both with or without would be appreciated), as it's not directly listed as a place that one can not carry (if i'm wrong, please correct. that's why i'm asking this) like court house, police stations, schools, etc..etc..etc..

thanks.

protias

Buildings are posted. :rolleyes: Like that has ever stopped someone from carrying in there though.

Kc.38

Buildings are posted. :rolleyes: Like that has ever stopped someone from carrying in there though.

I understand that if one is caught entering after being notified (posted area) it is about a $1000 fine, does one also lose their CCW license? I try not to go places that don't want my business, (posted) but there are times when I am with friends walking from place to place where all of a sudden a posted sign will appear and I am a long way from the car. It is no fun sitting outside while your friends are inside. The $1000 I could stand, but losing my STINKING PERMIT, not so much.

Last edited:

MKEgal

There is no provision in the licensing law(s) to pull someone's license for trespassing.
It's not a crime, only a fine (up to $1000), so you shouldn't lose your pistol, even temporarily.
(Whether or not the local LEO, DA, & judges follow the law, who knows.)

E6chevron

Some background information on County land firearms prohibition that I had not seen before is in an October 6, 2011 article here:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwau...led-guns-from-county-buildings-131228429.html

Particularly interesting is this information, which includes the legal opinion of the Milwaukee County Corporation Counsel Kimberly Walker:

By posting signs, the county can ban hidden weapons in other county buildings. After a review by county department heads and others, Abele is recommending signs to make the weapons off-limits in county park and zoo buildings, the Mental Health Complex, senior centers and other county property.

The Milwaukee Public Museum, the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts and the Milwaukee Public Museum, all of which are owned by the county, would also be posted as banning concealed weapons.

"Because I strongly support public safety, I believe that we have a responsibility to provide a safe environment for employees and visitors to county facilities," Abele said in a statement. "Allowing the carrying of concealed weapons would work against that goal."

Abele will submit a proposed revision to a county ordinance detailing the adjustment to the new state law for the County Board to consider later this month.

"We want people to still be able to utilize county-owned facilities in as safe a manner as possible, while still complying" with the new state law, County Corporation Counsel Kimberly Walker said Thursday. "We are trying to take precautions to keep people safe."

Clarke said only the courthouse complex, which includes the jail and Safety Building, should ban guns.

Posting signs banning concealed weapons would only encourage someone bent on using a gun in a county building because it would let them know "nobody else inside will be armed," Clarke said. And putting metal detectors in every building would be too costly, he said.

"If a maniac with a gun enters a county building and starts spraying the place up, my hope would be that a law-abiding, license-carrying gun toter would be able to counter the shooter," the sheriff said.

The county will not be able to continue to ban weapons in the outdoor areas of county parks and zoo, or on Milwaukee County Transit System buses, Walker said. One exception to that rule would be special events at parks where admission is charged.

Parks Director Sue Black said her department had already ordered 100 signs alerting visitors to park buildings that carrying a concealed weapon was banned, in anticipation of County Board approval.

The county also won't be able to ban concealed guns carried by employees in their cars, even if the car is used for a county job, according to a memo from Walker.

The Milwaukee Common Council last month adopted similar revisions to its ordinances to continue to ban guns from city buildings after the new state law takes effect.

hermannr

Some background information on County land firearms prohibition that I had not seen before is in an October 6, 2011 article here:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwau...led-guns-from-county-buildings-131228429.html

Particularly interesting is this information, which includes the legal opinion of the Milwaukee County Corporation Counsel Kimberly Walker:

I'll bet that county council looses a lot...her ability to reason is severely lacking. Ban licensed carry for safety reasons...sounds the the University Board of Regents.

scorpio_vette

well i was having fun with my wife and son, and spend most of the time out of the buildings, and honestly kinda forgot to seriously pay attention, but i will say that i did NOT see any signs jump out at me when i did go into a couple buildings. probably will be going again in the near future, and will try to pay more attention then.