• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My background check was declined and looking for advise.

jag979s

Hello first post here but have read a lot of post and gathered a great deal of information so thank you all for that and maybe I can now get some help. About three months ago I made my first purchase of a gun. I grew up shooting family heirlooms on a farm but needed a newer handgun for cc. I bought a shield and had no issues and was instantly approved. Well last week I had to help my mother fix her car up so I took my shield to the pawn shop where i bought it to get a very small loan with full understanding I would have to go through the motions to get it back. I went three days later to pick it up and I was deferred and then denied to reclaim my weapon. I have never been in trouble with the law in my life besides a few speeding tickets which all have been paid and nothing between the initial purchase of my weapon and now. They said I could appeal but I was unable to make it up there today due to work. I'm really bothered as to what my be holding this back. Am I worrying too much or is there any other options. I really would appreciate any insight on this.

pfries

I have purchased several guns and hold my HCP here in TN.
My last purchase I was denied, turns out it was due to a security clearance having expired and someone needed to physically look at it.
After faxing the form it took about 20 minutes to get overturned.

It may not be you, someone with a similar name or SSN (if you disclosed yours) may have gotten in trouble. I would not sweat it as of yet.
Keep us posted
Pat

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
.... They said I could appeal but I was unable to make it up there today due to work. I'm really bothered as to what my be holding this back. Am I worrying too much or is there any other options. I really would appreciate any insight on this.

I'm not familiar with your state laws, but NICS is a federal program with standard rules across the country. If you were denied by NICS there is a straightforward procedure for appealing the decision. Here http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/appeals/nics-guide-for-appealing is the step-by-step procedure. Get pen and paper together and haul yourself down to the Post Office to buy a stamp. (Yes, those things still exist)

Just for giggles, where did you think you had to go in person, and who told you that?

stay safe.

bigdaddy1

I bought a shield and had no issues and was instantly approved.

I don't know what you mean by "shield", is that a badge? I also dont understand how you can pawn a license to carry? Even if such a thing was possible I dont understand how it is suspended?