• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

3 step Rule?...Never heard of it

Torquemaster69

I was wondering if you guys have ever heard of this "law". I was told by somebody today that in order for me to have my firearm legally allowed to be in my vehicle with me in it was to separate the magazine and the pistol itself while I am operating the vehicle. For example: The magazine in the glove box and the pistol in the back of the vehicle while I'm in the driver seat. I can honestly say that I have never heard of this before.:confused:

Bellum_Intus

I was wondering if you guys have ever heard of this "law". I was told by somebody today that in order for me to have my firearm legally allowed to be in my vehicle with me in it was to separate the magazine and the pistol itself while I am operating the vehicle. For example: The magazine in the glove box and the pistol in the back of the vehicle while I'm in the driver seat. I can honestly say that I have never heard of this before.:confused:

You can legally carry a pistol, loaded or unloaded, concealed or open in your car in Colorado. There is no "law" stating the above in Colorado.
The only restriction to firearms in vehicles is that long guns / shotguns and muzzle loaders must be 'unloaded', and you must not be a prohibited person.

--Rob

LOOK I followed rule 5!! hehe

Tell that person to read THIS 'law'.. it's the real one..

CRS 33-6-125
"It is unlawful for any person, except a person authorized by law or by order of the division, to possess or have under his control any firearm, OTHER THAN A PISTOL OR REVOLVER, in or on a motor vehicle unless the chamber of the firearm is unloaded."
This goes on and states an officer can inspect the chamber of a shotgun or rifle in a motor vehicle..

Others CRS citations:
CRS 18-12-105 (states you can conceal in car / home without permit)
CRS 18-12-105.6 (limitation of local ordinances preventing carry in car)

Last edited:

wmodavis

Since state laws do vary considerably, and people do 'know' a lot more than what may be true, and your enlightenor apparently cited no actual law, and Bellum gave you the Colorado law references which you can actually look up and read yourself, I'd go with what Bellum said.
Ask your friend what state he was talking about. It sure wasn't Colorado. Maybe CA or IL or NY etc.

Steeler-gal

The law in MD is like this and I've heard there are others that have similar bizarre restrictions.

========================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching Classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

M-Taliesin

Howdy Pard!
I've been through the CRS more than once. I don't know where your friend got that notion, but it surely wasn't from Colorado!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Deserteagle8338

As always, its better to read the law yourself than take advice from random people or forums.

rushcreek2

Such mythical "rules of thumb" serve as substitutes for knowledge of the actual law in the absence of any interest in acquiring such knowledge.

Last edited:

ColoradoFlyer

Several states have what is referred to as either a 2 or 3 step procedure in order to openly carry in car. Florida was one of them, when I lived there. It had to be in a rentetion type holster and could not have one in the chamber or some other combination of two steps in order to have a firing handgun, such as simple holster with no retention and then the mag had to be out of it, which would probably require three steps to qualify for firing. Colorado is not one of these states that require this and you can openly carry in your car or conceal as necessary. Sorry to burst someones bubble, but we at least have some of the right steps. Enjoy.

RandyH

Torquemaster69,

This is a federal law. It was meant to protect gun owners from unjust prosecution by states like Illinois, New York, and Calif.

18 USC § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Dilligad316

I have had several discussions with the under informed and have found during several (that have felt the were right) it is less aggravating and more constructive to request there E-mail and upon arriving back at home (and my laptop) forward them the proper links for them to read for themselves.
Typically the next time I see them they are amazed at what they did NOT know and are now more informed and able to point other people in the proper direction of becoming more inform too. Besides that arguing gets nobody nowhere.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Pard!
It doesn't matter what the rule was back in the day, or what the rule in Florida or some other state is or once was.
We live in Colorado and under the laws we have today.
And our law states clearly you may open carry or concealed carry in your car pretty much as you see fit.
Therefore, the point is moot.
We have plenty of issues before us to fret about.
Let us not squander our fret potential over things that are not at issue.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

since9

Campaign Veteran
Torquemaster69,

This is a federal law. It was meant to protect gun owners from unjust prosecution by states like Illinois, New York, and Calif.

18 USC § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

There are a lot of federal laws designed for no other reason than as a means to add insult to injury for criminals who're running afoul of the law in other ways.

For all practical purposes, provided both states allow armed carry in a vehicle, you're technically breaking the law just a smidgeon this side of the state line to just a smidgeon on the other.