• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO Encounter in Port Orchard.

Vitaeus

If I am not mistaken, you don't have to tell the police that you are carrying when you encounter them, at least in Washington.

Under a casual encounter with an officer you are not required to tell them you are armed, but think of it from their perspective, they walk around our streets everyday in uniform and are literally targeted by everyone on some level, they risk their lives so we can continue to walk around comfortable, consider how many times officers have been targeted and shot at just because they are a cop or because they are doing the job they are paid to do, yes there is always a bad egg in every group someone who will abuse the power they have just because they can, but why make a situation more problematic because you simply do not feel like doing something or just because you can tell them you do not feel you have to follow a request. No you do not have to tell an officer you are armed but why risk startling them or making them unnecessarily uncomfortable, we are not the ones who's lives are targeted everyday for the job we have or the outfit we wear, do a favor to them be kind, cooperative, and intelligent even to those who may not act appropriately right away, it will make a difference and be reciprocated.

LEOs are not your friends, do as you choose, but consider that you are training the officer that a firearm is something you are ashamed of, that your privacy is less important than that HE feel "safe", and last talking to the police can do you nothing but harm. Looks like another good place for my favorite video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc it's a bit long, but well worth the time, since both the lawyer and the policeman tell you the exact same thing.

Difdi

My reaction would be, "I'm sorry Officer, but now I don't feel safe talking to you. Return my seized property, please. Or give me your identification so I can contact my lawyer."

I wonder how asking the officer to put his weapons in his car, for "citizen safety" would go over? The officer has removed your means of making yourself safe, what's he afraid of now?

Passports do qualify as Picture Id as they are Government Issued.

I generally prefer to use my passport when it comes to showing ID. It's legal government-issued picture ID, but it's a lot harder to abuse the data it contains than it is with a driver's license. Even for police or local government, the fact a passport if federal adds an extra hoop or two to jump through, with each hoop having a security check built in. A really determined fishing attempt can still make a passport work for them, but it will deter casual invasions of privacy.

but think of it from their perspective, they walk around our streets everyday in uniform and are literally targeted by everyone on some level, they risk their lives so we can continue to walk around comfortable, consider how many times officers have been targeted and shot at just because they are a cop or because they are doing the job they are paid to do

Police officer is not even in the top ten most dangerous jobs in the U.S., and homicides against police officers are at a 50-year low. Roofers, garbage truck drivers, fishermen, farmers, coal miners and firefighters all do necessary work that is required to keep our civilization from collapsing. And yet, nobody goes around insisting that they should get a free pass to break the law, abuse their fellow citizens or make unreasonable (and/or unlawful) demands backed by deadly force with impunity.

Last I checked, police officer was something like 16th or 13th most dangerous job in the country (depending on whether the list is generated from fatalities only or all accident data, respectively). Police officers swear oaths to uphold and enforce the law. Those other more dangerous jobs don't swear such an oath. So why do people give police officers so much slack, even if they're breaking their oaths on a daily basis?

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

2009DeadliestJobsUSA.png

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Lets not forget the amount of times that officers do encounter fatalities is because of inserting themselves where they shouldn't have. Or because of their own dumb actions.

But that goes for a lot of trades.