• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greater Bangor area OC report

Maine Expat

Hey gang, its official now. I am an OCer.

I arrived in Maine (I Live in Ukraine with my wife as you may recall) and met the seller of my new Bersa 45 TUC. And I loaded a mag and started packing while still enroute to Bangor.

We stopped in Newport and cruised Walmart looking for universal SIMs for our phones (AT&T screwed me over and gave my number away while I was gone). While there I bought some ammo and did some general shopping around looking for stuff my wife needed. Nobody said a word, I didn't even notice any looks.

Later we went into town to pick up a few things and hit Best Buy got a "look", but also got my SIM cards and a plug adaptor so I could charge my laptop.
Then we went to Bangor Walmart where I got some looks and the cashier asked of I was a cop. "No, just a law abiding citizen." She smiled and was just fine. I also got more ammo. I discover that .45 Colt is rifle ammo so now I have 200 rounds I can't use or return. One of the guys at the Service desk was very helpful to set me straight on the ammo issue. I feel like such a noob. lol

Anyway my list of stores include;
2 Walmarts - a pleasant question and a glance or two.
Best Buy - a concerned look, but pleasant, helpful service and everyone else was just fine.
Kohls - some OMG looks from a few customers, but no issues. I just ignored them and helped wifey find some clothes.
Burlington Coat - Just the Mgr letting us know they were about to close.

I'm a friendly outgoing guy so a smile and casual banter seems to have the desired effects and helps folks relax around me. No one ran for the doors screaming "He has a GUN!!!" LOL :banana:

In the end the only problem I had was my belt kept slipping through the buckle's friction bars under the weight of a condition 2 .45 and I had to constantly adjust the thing. That will get fixed this week with some velcro at the Air Base parachute shop. That MAINEiacs Retiree hat really comes in handy. :lol:

EDIT: I forgot that I had also OCed in Sam's Club that night as well. No probs there either.

Last edited:

Maine Expat

Well today was another stellar day for OC in Bangor.

We returned to Burlington Coat since they were closing when we got there last night and shopped around. While SWMBO was in the changing room a guy pointed at my hip and said "I want to thank you for doing that." We had a nice chat and parted ways. He didn't carry, his wife has a CCP, but wasn't packing. They did mention that the LEOs weren't all that OC friendly so I'll have to be careful if I encounter one. I do have a couple key names to drop when needed too so it should turn out fine.

Next up was TJ Maxx & Marshal's and nobody seemed to be in the least bit concerned. I even joked with the cashier that I was a redneck fashionista since I bought shoes (sandals) to match my holster. On clearance too so a CHEAP redneck. They laughed.

So the tally today is:

Burlington Coat - Positive chat/applause
TJ Maxx & Marshals - not even a sideways glance that I saw and everyone was chill about the OC. Staff (incl. some management) was friendly and helpful.

Just another day in OC paradise.:D

Last edited:

Maine Expat

Went to 2 different Hannafords (one of them twice) and had no problems at all.

Went to Sam's for gas and went for a little shopping. The cashier asked what pistol I was carrying and we had a nice exchange while he was ringing me up.

So far only 3 concerned looks that I've noticed since Saturday. I've engaged many people in conversations and light banter and nobody seems to be all that alarmed by the big smiling, chatty MWAG.

:monkey

Maine Expat

Today's OC log includes;

Maine BMV Bangor office - No issues or comments within ear shot. I sat up front so any wild eyed stares were on my back. Got my old ME CDL renewed to replace the CT license as I was still within the original 5 year period. SWEET! In 2 weeks when it arrives in the mail I can send my CCP app. in to the State.

Van Raymond's GS - bought some JHP for defense rounds. Had a good time there, but the fur bearing trout is gone. :cry:

Brewer Walmart - Found more JHP. The cashier and another employee were more than happy to talk guns and Bersa.

Sam's Club - Again no issues at all.

Rite Aid - No problems

Still no LEO encounters, but so far everyone seems to be cool about OCers in Bangor.

Maine Expat

Wednesday 7/18/12

Didn't spend a lot of time out, but did make a few stops.

Early on I swung by the Air Guard Base in Bangor to get a belt worked on at the "chute shop" sadly, nobody was in. I decided to stop in at the "Cop Shop" while I was there and spoke with the Chief of SPs there. I wanted to know what the procedure was for entering the base (Fed property) if I was carrying. He said just inform the gate guard and leave it in the car when I get out to visit old mates, shop etc. I worked there full time for near on 20 years so I'm not too concerned there.

I OCed at a couple other places (Walmart for one, bought some watermelons for TP and 1 for desert), but can't recall where to save my sorry butt. When I got back to the ranch The Hot Redhead was ready to roll so we went into town.

Add Day's Jewelers to the OC log! I was looking for a better watch band and ended up looking at a better watch instead. No one even blinked.

Among the few stops we made Macy's was on the list. No one ran screaming for the door, no one seemed to be concerned at all.

I set up the watermelons with bin laden target faces and Dad and I took turn blowing his head up with .45 jhp rounds. The red mist was super cool. Now if I can just find a good target print of "The Village Idiot"...:banana:

Last edited:

Maine Expat

Thursday 7/19/12

We were up and out fairly early today for my VA appointments. Went in with an empty holster and got complimented that I was responsible enough to know the rules. Its Fed Property and no guns allowed and I'm cool with that.

-Afterward we went to Denny's with no hassles at all at my OCing there.
-Then Macy's again
-Got fitted for my tux (Best man at Bro's wedding) with empty holster.
-Back to Macy's (OCed) then;
-Sears and a coffee stop at the food court. No issues at all.
-Grabbed the Missus' gown at the cleaners and
-Walked into Dunkin Donuts for a coffee and a muffin. No sweat.
-A stop at Hannaford's for a few things and we headed for the palace. I even shared a little banter with a mgr there and all was fine.

Maine Expat

Friday & Saturday 7/20 & 7/21

More OCs in the usual places.

Friday,
More shopping and more of the same non reaction from the general public.

Saturday, I had a nice conversation with the cashier at Dunkin Donuts about "what kind of gun is that?" Again a little shopping and no probs. I grabbed some blank biz card sheets at Walmart and got a sweet smile from a purdy girl getting a key cut at the sporting goods desk, then off we went.

My brother's bachelor party kicked off mid afternoon with skeet shooting. His BIL Scott and him are both totally in the dark as to legal OC. I fed them the info and got back up from another family member who had a clue later on. Since we were going out drinking later I left my pistol locked in my truck and rode in Scott's car. We went through 350+ rds of skeet loads and 180 clays, some of them actually got hit by bird shot.

A good time was had by all.

Maine Expat

Went out with the missus to blow the stink off and stopped into a few places.

Bangor Walmart - Always cool to OC there.
Dunkin Donuts - Enjoyed an Ice tea and my ladies company
Bangor Mall - grabbed some Chinese at the food court.
Macy's - While waiting for LOML to find a few things I decided to look at watches. The 2 ladies were very helpful and we made a deal on a nice self winder. When we were about wrapped up one of them asked if I was with the police. "No, just a law abiding citizen." They both admitted they didn't even notice until we were almost finished, one of them didn't notice until the first asked the "are you a cop" question, and we had a pleasant chat. I allowed that many folks were a bit nervous after the CO shooting, they nodded then I mentioned and described the FL internet cafe defense, which they hadn't heard about and explained that most BGs don't OC. After I presented that as a prime example of why LACs should be armed, they were in complete agreement and all was cool.

One of these days I'll remember to trot out the "When seconds count, the police are minutes away" line. :lol:

Just another day of being a goodwill ambassador in Bangor.

Maine Expat

My first info card hand out!

Wednesday July 25th

Spent some time out today.

Me & wifey went to Mardens in Brewer for a little shopping adventure. FOund a nice laptop/carry on bag for her. And got approached by a couple mgr types trying to be stealthy. LOL

The speaker was polite and informed me that I was scaring some of the customers. I was calm and polite and told him that I was completely within the law to OC. He asked if I had a permit, to which I replied it wasn't required for OC. He was noticeably surprised and I pulled out an OC info card for him. Again I stated that I was totally legal, but if its a big problem I could lock it in my car. "No, no that's ok." We're ok?" "Yes no problem" I offered my hand and thanked him for being OC friendly and supporting my 2A rights and we continued with our shopping. They just didn't know it was legal really. The second he realized I knew the laws he was totally cool about it.
So Brewer Mardens is OC friendly (even if we scare a few).

Other stops included;
-Supper at Bangor Governors - no probs
-The Summer tour of the Bangor Standpipe (really old big water tower & highest spot in Bgr) - Some looks, but no issues.
-Jo Ann Fabrics- No probs. LOML found some ribbon for her hat.

Last edited:

Maine Expat

My first info card hand out!

Wednesday July 25th

Spent some time out today.

Me & wifey went to Mardens in Brewer for a little shopping adventure. Found a nice laptop/carry on bag for her. And got approached by a couple mgr types trying to be stealthy. LOL

The speaker was polite and informed me that I was scaring some of the customers. I was calm and polite and told him that I was completely within the law to OC. He asked if I had a permit, to which I replied it wasn't required for OC. He was noticeably surprised and I pulled out an OC info card for him. Again I stated that I was totally legal, but if its a big problem I could lock it in my car. "No, no that's ok." We're ok?" "Yes no problem" I offered my habd and thanked him for being OC friendly and supporting my 2A rights and we continued with our shopping.
So Brewer Mardens is OC friendly. They just wanted to see if I was legal really. The second he realized I knew the laws he was totally cool about it.

Other stops included;
-Supper at Bangor Governors - no probs
-The Summer tour of the Bangor Standpipe (really old big water tower & highest spot in Bgr) - Some looks, but no issues.
-Jo Ann Fabrics- No probs. LOML found some ribbon for her hat.

Maine Expat

Well, we can add the Levant Town Office to the OC friendly list.

After dropping my CCP app at the USPS (empty holster there), I swung by the Town Office with my new ME DL to register to vote. I loaded up and strolled on in. Had a pleasant conversation and joked around with the 2 ladies there and everyone was all smiles when I turned around to leave, including the older couple who had got in line behind me while I was signing the form.

They even told me what to do to have the ballots sent to me in Ukraine so I can vote.

Maine Expat

I had a busy day today.

Sam's for gas then over to;
-Macy's to buy a better watch. I had to walk around an armored car to reach the door and even held the door for one of the guards (no cash, darn it). Other than a thanks, he didn't let out a peep and he HAD to see my Bersa on my hip walking just behind me. I got one OMG look while I was waiting for the sales rep to finish with another customer then it was all hearts and flowers while she rang up my sale and helped figure the watch out.

-Van Raymonds GS was next. Bought an ammo can, some cardboard silhouette targets and a dandy hat.

-TD Bank (Union ST) was next to get a new bank card. The manager was great and when I handed her an info card for future reference she had several questions about OC and I was happy to set her straight on a couple of points. All in all a VERY pleasant & educational convo.

Later after collecting my bride at The Ranch we headed back into town in search of a stouter belt for me. The one that's the most comfy is getting folded over by the weight of the Bersa and 8 rounds.

-The counter crew at Dunkin Donuts (Union St) were thrilled to talk guns and I got thanked for OCing and exercising my 2A rights. One of them was about to join the Army Guard so I got a chance to talk Oath Keepers (my main mission as you might recall) with him and pass on some info.

-Stops at Marshal's, Brewer Walmart and Brewer Mardens were uneventful except for maybe a "look" or two.

-Super at The Weathervane (Brewer) with my parents was the topper of the day. We had a great meal and while I was in the lobby waiting for my wife to finish in the restroom our waiter got a chance to ask me what I carry and we had a nice chat. He's the 2nd guy today that had a Springfield XP, btw. I should check those out sometime.

-A quick stop at Union St Hannaford's for some odds n ends and we headed for the homestead to settle in.

Maine Expat

My first LEO encounter...sorta

So there I was,

Waiting for the seamstress to finish letting the sleeves down on my tux jacket (I'm best man at my Bro's wedding Sat.) and in walks one of Bangor's finest. I figured even with an empty holster he might have something to say, but he walked right by me and waited for service at the counter. Its like he completely ignored me! Nuthin, nada and after all those rehearsed convos too!

The same thing happened yesterday while was WAS armed, when I walked by a Loomis(sp?) armored car at Macy's and even held the door for one of the guards.

An encounter that wasn't?

Anyway, I OCed at Macy's again and my bride and I strolled into the food court for a coffee, walked right by a Security guard even and sat right next to the info desk.
Add Nicky's Cruise in Diner on Union street to the list of OC friendly establishments too.

MainelyGlock

Glad you're having a positive OC experience up there! I lived in Bangor for two years for college (in addition to having been born/raised there for 9 years), and people are generally more gun-friendly up there than down here in Portland.

If you need someone to safeguard your Bersa while you're across the pond, I'd be more than welcome! ;)

Maine Expat

Would a glock nut be able to figure the Bersa out? LOL

So there I was...

Filling up a salad tin at Hannafords in Brewer (yesterday) when I hear, "excuse me, could I ask you a question?" "Sure." The gentleman asked how the public reacted to my OCing and I replied that it was overwhelmingly positive.

We went to have a short convo and I handed him a OC info card while I was explaining that, yes its legal to OC w/o a permit and told him what the major restrictions were, etc. Turns out he's a Life Time NRA member and had no idea. "I'm blown away" was his reaction. He's not a big Nuge fan either.

So if a new Mainer from Bangor joins some time soon it might be him.

After Hannafords we spent the day at the beach with my brother and SIL then stopped by Maine Military Supply on the way home. I now have a sturdy leather belt that supports the Bersa perfectly and I found they carry plenty of 9 x 18 Makarov ammo. I'm checking out a few CZs that I like.

Later, were going whale watching today.

SPOProds

Great info bro. I have been OCing around Bangor/Orono for the past month since I've moved here and never had an issue. Except for the Goodwill in Bangor on Bangor Mall Rd(Blvd?) Supposedly customers were concerned and the manager asked me to leave. I left without a problem and emailed GW corporate. They have told me they will fix the problem and I won't have an issue OCing in anymore of their stores. Send me a PM if you'd like to meet up sometime and go on an OC venture together.

Maine Expat

I'll have to OC at that GW this week. I'll carry my info cards AND the No Guns = No Money cards with me. Usually if you can show that you are in full compliance with Maine law they back off.

I had a chance to meet Dave Marden (of "I shoulda bought it when I saw it at Mardens") in the Brewer store where he works out of and had a nice impromptu meeting with him. We renewed old ties and had a nice chat. He is a CCP holder and carries all the time and has zero issues with OC. SO Mardens stores can be regarded as 2A & OC friendly stores.

-I OCed yesterday with my brother at the Bangor Mall KMart and Dicks with no probs as well.
-Add Twin Super Buffet in Brewer to OC friendly list too. Had a nice time with my Bro & SIL and LOML last night for supper.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--
Filling up a salad tin at Hannafords in Brewer (yesterday) when I hear, "excuse me, could I ask you a question?" "Sure." The gentleman asked how the public reacted to my OCing and I replied that it was overwhelmingly positive.

We went to have a short convo and I handed him a OC info card while I was explaining that, yes its legal to OC w/o a permit and told him what the major restrictions were, etc. Turns out he's a Life Time NRA member and had no idea. "I'm blown away" was his reaction. He's not a big Nuge fan either.

So if a new Mainer from Bangor joins some time soon it might be him.

Educating one person at a time - it works. Nice job.
icon14.png

The NRA could be honest and forthright about OC - unfortunately they are not.