• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun shop crap

derhammer

Just got back from the Pickerel Inn gun shop... basically, my ma and I were first called liars, then my ma was railed on for being inexperienced with firearms (as if everyone wasn't once), then when I was comparing .223 vs. 7.62x39 ammo weight (I didn't even want to mention the guns themselves, but she wouldn't give me the damn bullets without some explanation) I had to listen to a ridiculous diatribe about how AR-15s and AK-47s are for killing people (a gun for killing people, imagine that) and how this woman doesn't think people should have them/need them (I don't care about your opinions; it's a gun shop!). Finally, she said "you guys" have "figured out" how to convert them to full auto... what "guys" am I part of that is converting guns illegally? Ridiculous. This all from some woman from New Jersey who works there.

The owner, Terry, was absolutely wonderful to both myself and my mother, but that other woman was very annoying. Fortunately, Terry noticed. My ma, for example, was saying how it would be difficult for her to rack the slide on a semi-auto if there were an intruder coming, and I mentioned that you could just have it loaded, and this NJ woman starts on "No, you never keep a gun loaded..." and Terry says "shh!" to her. At least she knows how annoying she is.

Anyway, there's my rant. Anybody else wanna share their negative experiences with morons at this or other gun shops?

-derhammer

carracer

Usually when I'm in a gun shop I am invisible. Counter people walk right past me to get a cup of coffee or talk with their buddies...even tho I am waving my arms "excuse me..."

PistolPackingMomma

Same here. We walked into a local place, and I went up the counter, and got the impression that none of the guys working there were going to help me because I'm a woman. Suspicion confirmed when my husband finished looking at holsters and joined me at the counter; instant service, which had to be redirected to me.

The guy "helping" us was arrogant and condescending, to say the least, and when I told him I was looking to go from a .40 to a 9mm, he started in with all sorts of stories about 9mm deflecting off nylon belts, criminals getting shot in the neck and still running, blah blah blah, 9mm isn't sufficient and I should just go .45....I explained that a 9mm to the heart was better than a .40 to the shoulder, and even though I could handle higher calibers, I wasn't as accurate and my hands hurt too much to practice for long periods of time.

Went to a smaller gun shop and handled a few 1911's, and that guy told me that if I wanted a 1911, I had to go .45 ACP, because that's "just the way it's done." I walked in there for a gun, not for purist opinions. :banghead:

Btw, I bought my 1911 Kimber Ultra Carry II off of Kentuckygunco., and I LOVE it. We never bother with gun shops anymore.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The guy "helping" us was arrogant and condescending, to say the least, and when I told him I was looking to go from a .40 to a 9mm, he started in with all sorts of stories about 9mm deflecting off nylon belts, criminals getting shot in the neck and still running, blah blah blah, 9mm isn't sufficient and I should just go .45....I explained that a 9mm to the heart was better than a .40 to the shoulder, and even though I could handle higher calibers, I wasn't as accurate and my hands hurt too much to practice for long periods of time.

You should have saidd "thanks, and I already own a 45" and walk out

Last edited:

Mas49.56

I must buy way too many firearms, they call me by my first name now.:uhoh: All I can suggest is go to a different shop. You might want to tell little miss New Jersey that you're not Mafia like her family and have no interest in converting a rifle to full auto. I would also tell the owner of the shop about how her opinions are bad for the gun shops business.

Sig229

I think I'd lose my usual politeness and tell that NJ woman to eff off. With a list of factoids included.

Indeed.

I hope that gun shop owner isnt dating or planning on marrying this woman.

If so, he's going to be out of business in a month or two.

I knew a guy once who sold his entire gun collection (43 guns) because he met some super liberal woman and she said she wouldn't live in a house that has guns in it.
F'ing moron.

It depresses me that many American males have been neutered by idiot women they surround themselves with.

Last edited:

PFC HALE

Indeed.

I knew a guy once who sold his entire gun collection (43 guns) because he met some super liberal woman and she said she wouldn't live in a house that has guns in it.
F'ing moron.

It depresses me that many American males have been neutered by idiot women they surround themselves with.

LOL i bow down to you oh great one! Ive been thinking the same things! Why will a man let anyone else tell him what he can or cant do? Its like me and my bike, you dont like the bike? THERES THE DOOR. you dont like my guns? THERES THE DOOR.

sedstar

gun shops...

I have had two negative experiences at gun shops. One was "gander mountain", the one gander mountain had this ONE guy that worked there, he was a real "know it all", and I was looking for a certain small piece of reloading equipment, and hes goes into this big long diatribe how i'm not buying the correct thing, blah blah... all he really did convince me of, was that all he knows about reloading, is he works the counter at a gun shop and never reloaded in his life.

as soon as i mentioned it to other people, they knew exactly which guy i was talkign about, LMAO, I guess he makes a real impression on everyone that went in the store. For a couple years, if i was i teh store, and HE was there? I didnt even approach the counter, he was THAT annoying, LMAO

===========================================

the OTHER one was more "serious". some years back, I had several 357s, a 40, a 380, etc etc...... but, i realized i didnt have a 45acp, nor did i have a 44mag. I was always curious how i might handle a 44... and would idly TALK about it with gun shop counter people, you know?

this ONE shop I had already bought a rifle at before? I went in, and was looking at a 44 in the case... I had the money in my pocket, and was JUST about to MAYBE buy it on the spot... I asked what the recoil was like on a 44mag, as i had never SSHOT one before, and had HEARD some people liked it, others found it too much recoil (until i shot one or owned one, how would i KNOW, eh?) I had ALSO heard that some people had a "shooting glove" for shooting large handguns, and i ASKED abotu that too.

This guy? honest to god, says...

"hey! Bob? You kow that guy, joey? The one that wears a glove when he's shooting a 44? Whats the TECHNICAL name for wearing a glove when you shoot a big handgun? I forget it right this minute?"

and the ther guy? SMILES and says,, I swear to god...

"Oh yeah... the technical name for that is being a P*$$y"

================================================================================================

I smiled at the 2 guys, owner and his worker... makign fun of a customer right to their face, that had already purchased a gun there not long before? I pulled out my WAD of cash i had... fanned out the thick stack of 20s....

"I was about, oh... probably TEN MINUTES from buying that 44 on IMPULSE... now I am not. have a nice day, gentlemen."

...and walked OUT, and never went BACK (thats been many years now)

========================================================================================

you see, my "regular" local gun store had CLOSED on me and went out of business. I was going around, sort of LOOKING for a new smal gun store, to become "mine" to replace it...

that SAME DAY, i ended up at ANOTHER small gun store i had been to before... asked about the recil of a 44, wearing a glove, etc etc...

know that THAT store did? Their oldest son invited me to GO SHOOTING with him... and said he had a 44 and a 45, and that they had lots of "old ammo" that needed shot up ANYways... would i like to see what a 44 was like?

I was so excited i almost peed my pants.... I went shooting with him in their back yard... liked both the 45 and a 44 mag....

about a week later I bought the used 44mag they had, and later on bought a 45 there, too

==========================================================================================

obviously, THAT small mom and pop shop became "my" local gunshop.... after numerous purchases over several years, they once asked me why i chose their gun shop, and i told them the story... this gun shop will CALL ME when someone comes in looking to sell something they think i might be interested in, LMAO...

when i walk in? we all BS for an hour... I am allowed to walk in the back, handle ANY gun i want, on racks, in cases... roam around in the BACK, handle customers guns, go thru the junk boxes looking for stuff i might want but dont know it until i see it, LMAO... they have had me over their house for DINNER before...

i jokingly refer to the lady as "mom" and the husband as "dad"... they made me feel almost like FAMILY.

========================================================================================

I will NEVER purchase ANYthing at a gun shop i feel i am getting insulted, or, so much as talked down to...

simply vote with your FEET, is i believe the phrase people say...

carolina guy

Indeed.

F'ing moron.

Guess I have a keeper...she wants an AK-47 as her first gun... :)

mlr

If someone treats me badly in any store I go to I contact the manager and let them know about the problem. If its bad enough I let them know that I will no longer shop there and will do my best to convince others not to shop there until the problem is taken care of.

Michael