Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Women only this date is for you

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Harrison
    Posts
    463

    Women only this date is for you

    MAINE CWP TRAINING WILL BE CONDUCTING A FREE SAFE HANDGUN CLINIC FOR NEW SHOOTERS AND HANDGUN PURCHASERS AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS WOMEN WANT TO KNOW ON OCTOBER 27TH AT CABELA'S MAINE. ATTENDEES WILL BE QUALIFIED FOR 10% DISCOUNTS FOR ANY NRA CERTIFIED COURSE OFFERED BY MAINE CWP TRAINING! FILL OUT THE APPLICATION AND CLICK SUBMIT AT THE BOTTOM LEFT HAND CORNER TO REGISTER . THIS WILL BE AN EVENT NEVER SEEN BEFORE AT CABELA'S MAINE!
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    #63731855
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

    www.mainecwptraining.com

    (207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

  2. #2
    Regular Member Superlite27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    God's Country, Missouri
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine CWP Training View Post
    MAINE CWP TRAINING WILL BE CONDUCTING A FREE SAFE HANDGUN CLINIC FOR NEW SHOOTERS AND HANDGUN PURCHASERS AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS WOMEN WANT TO KNOW......
    I always enjoy reading offers to educate those poor, ignorant women who require aid from guys who know what they're doing.

    I see that the focus of this offer is geared towards noobs. Obviously, this means women. Men who have never held or fired a firearm evidently do not require any additional instruction. Could you imagine an offer stating "Attention: MEN'S FIREARM CLASS FOR INEXPERIENCED AND NEW SHOOTERS. ANSWERING THE QUESTIONS MEN MAY HAVE ABOUT FIREARMS."

    Although it's nice to see someone recognizing a growing number of female firearm owners and offering a service geared towards that increasing demographic, it always seems to me that the wording of these offers contain veiled condescension and subliminal hints for "new" and "inexperienced" shooters.

    Maybe I'm simply being hyper-sensitive, but I honestly can't remember a class with a title like:

    Saturday: WOMEN'S LEVEL III TACTICAL HANDGUN COURSE WITH ADVANCED LOW LIGHT SKILLS REFRESHER.

    or how about

    Coming soon: WOMEN'S ADVANCED GLOCK ARMORER CLASS.

    I see it time, and time again in many of the IDPA matches I attend: A pretty new face will pop up wishing to participate, and will immediately be swarmed by 25 guys offering advice and suggesting that she step a little closer, or try this or that. WTF? Who's to say that she isn't some kind of pistol goddess who can run circles around everyone there? How come any new guy that shows up gets completely ignored, and If he beefs things up, everyone just snickers under their breath? Yet, let any woman appear, and handicap offers abound. Here ya' go, lil miss. Why don'tcha just stand here 5 feet in front of the Target? It'll be a little easier that way.

    The hell.

    As I said before, I'm probably just hyper-sensitive, but it sure seems that we guys automatically assume women need our help when it comes to firearms. I simply notice this whenever I see an offer "for women" that also contains words like "new shooter" or offers to answer their questions. What? Guys are never new shooters? Men don't need their questions answered by someone who knows?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    8
    A lot of women do need help with firearms, and when taking a course with other women they will be more comfortable. Most women don't want to be the center of attention when it comes to this stuff, and having a course specifically for them without being outnumbered 1 girl to 10 guys puts them at ease. This is a great thing he is doing. Also, most men with a GF/wife will probably tell you the last thing they want to do, is be taught by their husbands. They tend to get more stressed out and not pay attention, then it can turn into a bickering match. These women only classes are the best ways to get them into shooting.
    Last edited by Hozed; 07-15-2012 at 09:09 PM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,279
    Let me guess~the class is being taught by men...LMAO!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hozed View Post
    A lot of women do need help with firearms, and when taking a course with other women they will be more comfortable. Most women don't want to be the center of attention when it comes to this stuff, and having a course specifically for them without being outnumbered 1 girl to 10 guys puts them at ease. This is a great thing he is doing. Also, most men with a GF/wife will probably tell you the last thing they want to do, is be taught by their husbands. They tend to get more stressed out and not pay attention, then it can turn into a bickering match. These women only classes are the best ways to get them into shooting.
    Ohhh my my, that is so funny... What a pickup scheme~~but I can see how it could backfire big time.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 07-15-2012 at 09:18 PM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Harrison
    Posts
    463
    There will be women instructors and 30% of our existing client base are women. 70% of our last NRA certified personal Protection in the Home course were women.
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    #63731855
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

    www.mainecwptraining.com

    (207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

  6. #6
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine CWP Training View Post
    There will be women instructors and 30% of our existing client base are women. 70% of our last NRA certified personal Protection in the Home course were women.
    I just don't get it~why not have a couples training camp~ohh never mind I think I know the answer...

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Harrison
    Posts
    463
    We have trained hundreds of couples!
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    #63731855
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

    www.mainecwptraining.com

    (207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

  8. #8
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine CWP Training View Post
    We have trained hundreds of couples!
    For free?

  9. #9
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlite27 View Post
    <snip> .....I'm probably just hyper-sensitive,......
    ....uh, ya think?

    No good deed shall go unpunished!!!

    @Maine CWP Training.....keep up the good work.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  10. #10
    Regular Member Superlite27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    God's Country, Missouri
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    @Maine CWP Training.....keep up the good work.
    Oh, don't read things into my statement.

    Maybe you could point out where I decried their offer of instruction? I fully realize women often enjoy instruction by females and participation in classes with their peers. I didn't say "THESE WOMEN'S CLASSES SHOULD BE STOPPED!"...

    It just seems that, if you look at a selection of classes you'll usually see something like:

    Monday: Advanced Pistol
    Tuesday: Low light shooting
    Wednesday: 1911 Armorer
    Thursday: AR-15 operator's course
    Friday: Concealed Carry
    Saturday: Women's NOOB class for inexperienced shooters.

    Why do the classes for women always contain hidden references for noobs and those unfamiliar with firearms? Why is the assumption that, if it's a class geared towards women, it should be for those who are unfamiliar with firearms?

    I'm not saying that there isn't a demand for introductory classes by women. I'm not saying those introductory classes should be ended. Heck, put up signs offering women's "First Shots" classes all you want. This is fine. However, I'm just pointing out that, if women feel more comfortable in classes with their peers, why aren't there more advanced, or tactical, or low light instructional events specifically for women? I don't know. I can't speak for them, as I am not a woman.

    However, what I can do is have the empathy to put myself in their shoes and wonder, "Gee. IF I were a woman, and posessed the skills I have as a man, why are all the classes for my demographic geared towards NOOBS and inexperienced shooters when I have just as much, or more, experience with firearms as the instructors giving the class?"

    I dunno. I guess my concern can be summarized by asking: If women are so interested in participating in courses with their peers, how come there are never any advanced level courses "for women"? How come they're always NOOB classes?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Harrison
    Posts
    463
    We offer equal classes for all and always have!
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    #63731855
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

    www.mainecwptraining.com

    (207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

  12. #12
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlite27 View Post
    Oh, don't read things into my statement.

    Maybe you could point out where I decried their offer of instruction? I fully realize women often enjoy instruction by females and participation in classes with their peers. I didn't say "THESE WOMEN'S CLASSES SHOULD BE STOPPED!"...

    It just seems that, if you look at a selection of classes you'll usually see something like:

    Monday: Advanced Pistol
    Tuesday: Low light shooting
    Wednesday: 1911 Armorer
    Thursday: AR-15 operator's course
    Friday: Concealed Carry
    Saturday: Women's NOOB class for inexperienced shooters.

    Why do the classes for women always contain hidden references for noobs and those unfamiliar with firearms? Why is the assumption that, if it's a class geared towards women, it should be for those who are unfamiliar with firearms?

    I'm not saying that there isn't a demand for introductory classes by women. I'm not saying those introductory classes should be ended. Heck, put up signs offering women's "First Shots" classes all you want. This is fine. However, I'm just pointing out that, if women feel more comfortable in classes with their peers, why aren't there more advanced, or tactical, or low light instructional events specifically for women? I don't know. I can't speak for them, as I am not a woman.

    However, what I can do is have the empathy to put myself in their shoes and wonder, "Gee. IF I were a woman, and posessed the skills I have as a man, why are all the classes for my demographic geared towards NOOBS and inexperienced shooters when I have just as much, or more, experience with firearms as the instructors giving the class?"

    I dunno. I guess my concern can be summarized by asking: If women are so interested in participating in courses with their peers, how come there are never any advanced level courses "for women"? How come they're always NOOB classes?
    .....there is no 'there' there.....

    @Maine CWP Training.....maybe you should advertise in Missouri more.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlite27 View Post
    Why do the classes for women always contain hidden references for noobs and those unfamiliar with firearms? Why is the assumption that, if it's a class geared towards women, it should be for those who are unfamiliar with firearms?
    Because there are a lot of new shooters that are women, and beginner classes are in high demand. The more advanced classes are not for men only, women can do those too. But a woman who is new to shooting will feel more comfortable with other women, they wont be intimidated or made to feel stupid because they didn't know something common.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lyman, Maine
    Posts
    905
    Look MaineCWPTraining is a highly respected NRA instructor in Maine who hosts a LOT of classes. He's hosting an NRA event at a public place. It's not like he's some seedy guy trying to pick up young girls. The NRA encourages free basic training to women to get more women interested in the shooting sports. You guys really need to ease up here.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lyman, Maine
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlite27 View Post
    Oh, don't read things into my statement.

    Maybe you could point out where I decried their offer of instruction? I fully realize women often enjoy instruction by females and participation in classes with their peers. I didn't say "THESE WOMEN'S CLASSES SHOULD BE STOPPED!"...

    It just seems that, if you look at a selection of classes you'll usually see something like:

    Monday: Advanced Pistol
    Tuesday: Low light shooting
    Wednesday: 1911 Armorer
    Thursday: AR-15 operator's course
    Friday: Concealed Carry
    Saturday: Women's NOOB class for inexperienced shooters.

    Why do the classes for women always contain hidden references for noobs and those unfamiliar with firearms? Why is the assumption that, if it's a class geared towards women, it should be for those who are unfamiliar with firearms?

    I'm not saying that there isn't a demand for introductory classes by women. I'm not saying those introductory classes should be ended. Heck, put up signs offering women's "First Shots" classes all you want. This is fine. However, I'm just pointing out that, if women feel more comfortable in classes with their peers, why aren't there more advanced, or tactical, or low light instructional events specifically for women? I don't know. I can't speak for them, as I am not a woman.

    However, what I can do is have the empathy to put myself in their shoes and wonder, "Gee. IF I were a woman, and posessed the skills I have as a man, why are all the classes for my demographic geared towards NOOBS and inexperienced shooters when I have just as much, or more, experience with firearms as the instructors giving the class?"

    I dunno. I guess my concern can be summarized by asking: If women are so interested in participating in courses with their peers, how come there are never any advanced level courses "for women"? How come they're always NOOB classes?
    Perhaps because there is a high demand for basic courses offered for women only??? Perhaps because after a woman graduates out of the basic courses, she's not so shy and is more willing to take mixed gender courses?

    They also offer a lot of beginner classes for children too. Do you find that discriminatory too?

    There's also a huge amount of advertising for Tupperware sales geared toward women too... You know why? Because there's a demand for the product by women... Why do you find fault with MaineCWPTraining for following the demands of his business?

  16. #16
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    A man getting handgun training is good.

    A trained man carrying a gun is better.

    A trained woman carrying a gun is PRICELESS.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  17. #17
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout399 View Post
    <snip> You guys really need to ease up here.
    Watch how you throw that 'you guys' crap around us guys. It is specifically one 'guy'. I can't tell if there is another guy. You guys alway lump us guys together when there is no there there with us guys.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lyman, Maine
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Watch how you throw that 'you guys' crap around us guys. It is specifically one 'guy'. I can't tell if there is another guy. You guys alway lump us guys together when there is no there there with us guys.
    It was directed at Walkingwolf and Superlite
    Last edited by boyscout399; 07-19-2012 at 01:58 PM.

  19. #19
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    ....uh oh ....sorry....
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •