• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Experience

The_Instigator

Last week, my girlfriend and I visited Yellowstone National Park, and decided to open carry through most of the trip. We mostly did the touristy stuff, but went on a hike or two on some trails. Being from NJ, it was very liberating for us to be able to open-carry. I've had my concealed carry license from FL for about 7 years and have carried concealed many times in various places, but have never taken advantage of open-carrying. My girlfriend, a special ed teacher, and until recently an anti-gunner, is now FULL supporter of our right to keep and bear arms and just LOVED carrying a 6 inch stainless Ruger GP100 in public. She attracts enough attention on her own, but with a cowgirl hat and a 6-shooter on her side, you can bet EVERYONE was looking.

We did the research, and it's pretty obvious our lives weren't in any immediate danger from other park-goer's and we realize that the chances of being attacked by an animal are slim, and we realize that a pistol isn't the best defense against a grizzly, so did we REALLY need to carry firearms?? No, of course not. But boy did it feel liberating and patriotic.

So why did we do it? First of all, BECAUSE WE COULD. Considering we can't carry freely in NJ, it's nice to take advantage of it when we can. We also wanted to open people's minds to the fact that we mortals can do such things. Many folks were foreigners, and we have no idea what their thoughts were, but we're hoping that it makes them realize what we have that they don't. As far as Americans go, we're hoping that many went home and researched what their rights are. We were smiling, friendly, and said hello to everyone we saw. Not ONE negative thing was said to us. We got every sort of look imaginable, but it was so beautiful to see so many parents of young children see that we were armed and let their youngsters freely walk past us KNOWING that we weren't a threat.

Very few people said anything to us. One young couple saw our pistols and revealed that the man was carrying concealed. We suggested they carry openly also, simply for the educational value for others. Another man asked what was required to carry open there. We explained the laws and he told us he was going to be carrying ASAP!!

Would I want to carry open in East Orange, NJ? Probably not. But given the family atmosphere of the park, it was so nice to be treated so nicely, even by the park ranger inspecting our campsite at 11pm. I had a question for him, approached him in the dark, lit only by his flashlight, openly carrying, and we had a calm, wonderful discussion. Go figure that HE was originally from NJ too (Oakland). ALL police should be as respectful and non-intrusive as the park rangers at Yellowstone. Model law enforcement if you ask me.

I encourage everyone to carry as often as possible and openly if you are brave enough. My girlfriend and I plan on carrying openly as soon as possible again in order to educate Americans as to their rights. We're considering doing so in PA since it's the closest place we can do so legally. Maybe once she gets her license from FL, we'll even do it in Philly, right in front of such historic places as the house where the Declaration of Independence was penned by Jefferson, and by Franklins' grave!!

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have regarding our experience. You may reach me at makunkel@gmail.com

hjmoosejaw

Good story! Sounds like ya had a good time. Any pics? Especially of your cowgirl. Hey, it don't hurt to ask.

The_Instigator

I'm so sorry!! I meant to attach a pic of my lovely lady! Here she is with the Ruger on her hip in Cooke City, MT. Enjoy! :)

Attachments

• Tara Cooke City.jpg
    Tara Cooke City.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 611
Last edited:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Just for your "Internet safety and convenience" if you will:

You might want to "reword" (disguies) the e-mail you give above in case Spam-Bots also mine this website for valid e-mail addresses.

Or, just have people PM you to get your personal address.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
@The_Instigator

Just for your "Internet safety and convenience," if you will:

You might want to "reword" (disguise) the e-mail you give above in case Spam-Bots also mine this website for valid e-mail addresses.

Last edited:

hogeaterf6

I like when pics are included! Very nice! I love seeing women oc. Only my wife does it in our area. She looks hot with her wheel gun on her hip as she rides her mc.

I'll be in WY/MT/SD/NE/KS/IA/IL Uhg!/IN for the rally and will be oc when I can.

The_Instigator

@The_Instigator

Just for your "Internet safety and convenience," if you will:

You might want to "reword" (disguise) the e-mail you give above in case Spam-Bots also mine this website for valid e-mail addresses.

I appreciate the concern, and I'm sure it's valid, but in years of having my gmail address, I've never had one ounce of spam hit my inbox.