• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about ownership

pandafp

New to OC and have a question regarding gun ownership in kentucky. I'll be moving to Kentucky in about a year from Michigan. I plead guilty to a possession of analogues in Michigan about two years ago and it has been expunged from my record. in KRS 527.040 it says (1) A person is guilty of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon when he
possesses, manufactures, or transports a firearm when he has been convicted of a
felony, as defined by the laws of the jurisdiction in which he was convicted, in any
state or federal court and has not:
(a) Been granted a full pardon by the Governor or by the President of the United
States;

Would my expungement in michigan for the felony would allow me to own and carry a firearm in Kentucky?

KYGlockster

Activist Member
No. I do believe this is a rather ridiculous statute, or common law around the United States. I believe if you are convicted or plead guilty to a non-violent felony you should be restored your rights once you have "paid your debt to society." The crime you were convicted of is actually a high misdemeanor isn't it, but has a 2 year sentence? Everyone has problems in life and makes bad decisions. I know many of good people around my home town that have been addicted to Narcotic Pain medication and have ruined their whole life and destroyed their rights because of said addiction. We should be treating these people and not treating them like violent felons, but this is our broken Justice system at work. I do agree completely that if you are CONVICTED or plead guilty to a violent felony then you should never be allowed to own a firearm again, but that is not your case. I also believe these Domestic Violence Orders that strip you of your right to keep and bear arms without due process and the right to trial by jury is a joke. I have been witness to this firsthand and all it takes is an insidious person out to get you to ruin your rights. No evidence, no reasonable doubt, nothing! These laws have been passed with one gender in mind, and no thought of our constitutional rights, not to mention a piece of paper will not stop a lunatic. Anybody who believes they are in danger should exercise their right to arms, and not rely on the government to protect them! Ok, I am done ranting now!

I hope you enjoy Ky, and know that you can carry other weapons while here, just not firearms.

Last edited:

pandafp

Thats ******. I asked my lawyer here and he said I could get one in michigan. Looks like ill have to rethink my law school decision.