• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ask the Sherrif / Deputy article on Open carry in Loudoun (Ashburn Patch)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That's not ED's Sheriff, is it. He got bits and pieces right but missed the paper by 3 feet!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Commenting requires registration - sorry but I'm not that interested.

But someone ought to remind them that: VCU's ban is via the Va Administrative Code and thus campus-wide - other state universities have internal policy bans on carry inside buildings but not on the grounds; carry on lands of federal agencies varies with the agency - the only constant is the prohibition against carrying inside buildings; carry (open or concealed) is allowed in the General Assembly Building. Those are the most glaring errors.

stay safe.

paramedic

Kind of lost interest in this one as soon as I started reading, the question stating his friend OC in FL, well being former LEO in Hillsborough County, I can tell you, that unless you are within walking distance to a stream or lake, and have a fishing pole in your hand, I would not advise OCing in FL.

KBCraig

7 round magazine limit on shotguns? Hmmm... my 18.5" 1300 is 7+1, unless I load it with Aguila Mini-Shells, in which case it becomes 11+1 (or 12+1, I forget).

If that comes up for revision, someone might want to point out to the GA that shotgun shells come in different lengths. :D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
7 round magazine limit on shotguns? Hmmm... my 18.5" 1300 is 7+1, unless I load it with Aguila Mini-Shells, in which case it becomes 11+1 (or 12+1, I forget).

If that comes up for revision, someone might want to point out to the GA that shotgun shells come in different lengths. :D

The GA is well aware of that:

(ii) shotgun with a magazine which will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered.

Ooops Nova beat me to it - missed that.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Several more universities have VAC gun bans now...GMU, JMU, VT are among them. I don't know about W&M or ODU, I think both of them were in the process at least, if they haven't adopted them already.

To confuse the issue further, the universities not only have the VAC gun ban (that is enforceable on the public) that applies to buildings and events, but also a separate internal policy (as you mentioned) that applies only to students/faculty/staff which varies by university but usually includes all univ. property, not just bldgs. and events.

Apparently my memory and Google-fu were weak yesterday. I did a second pass at it and came up with:

GMU = http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+8VAC35-60-10

VT = http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+8VAC105-20-10

JMU = http://leg1.state.va.us/000/lst/LS910498.HTM
Sorry, no references were found. Perform another search or look at some examples to help you refine your search.

ODU = http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+8VAC65-10-10

W&M = http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+8VAC115-20-10

Christopher Newport University = http://leg1.state.va.us/000/lst/LS910498.HTM
Sorry, no references were found. Perform another search or look at some examples to help you refine your search.

VCU = http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+8VAC90-10-50

Richard Bland College (a subsidiary of W&M) = http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+8VAC115-30 (please NOTE they have a section carved out but there is nothing written there)

UVA = http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+8VAC85-20-20

If you bother to check out all of those, you will find that except for VCU the only thing in the VAC is a definition of "weapon". VCU spells it out:
To that end, no person, either singly or in concert with others, shall willfully: 1. ...
2. ...
3. ...
4. Have in his possession any firearm, other weapon, or explosive, regardless of whether a license to possess the same has been issued, without the written authorization of the president of the university. This restriction does not apply to persons whose duties lawfully require the possession of firearms or other weapons.

That being the case, I submit that the various VAC entries for the other universities may not be sufficient to enforce any ban. I'm not volunteering to be the test case but do welcome discussion.

stay safe.

OC for ME

This restriction does not apply to persons whose duties lawfully require the possession of firearms or other weapons.

LE does not have a duty to protect anyone, by default we have a duty to lawfully protect ourselves.

627PCFan

Did I miss something?

"2.A semi-automatic rifle or pistol designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer"

So if I threw a threaded barrel on my 1911 build, I couldnt carry it?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Did I miss something?

"2.A semi-automatic rifle or pistol designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer"

That would be up to the judge but cops, especially Nova Cops, don't have much in the way of comprehension skills. I don't think Nova Judges are much better.

Last edited:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Did I miss something?

If YOU "threw a threaded barrel" on a 1911, I don't know that the MANUFACTURER designed it to accommodate a silencer. If you have yer permit, it does't matter

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.
The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
The exemptions set forth in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.
(1991, c. 570; 1992, c. 790; 2003, c. 976; 2004, c. 995; 2005, c. 160; 2007, c. 813.)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
W/O a CHP as § 18.2-287.4 states, but only in the listed municipalities.

With a CHP no law is broken whether OCing or CCing.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
According to his profile his IS in one of the listed municipalities.. BUT if HE put on the threaded barrel I submit the manufacturer did not design it for such

Probably not but I'd give it 98% he would be arrested and 90% he'd be convicted without a good lawyer.

TFred

According to his profile his IS in one of the listed municipalities.. BUT if HE put on the threaded barrel I submit the manufacturer did not design it for such
I'm sure ATF would contend that he became the manufacturer at that point... if a shoe string can be a machine gun... that isn't very hard at all.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Were he lives means naught. Were one carries is the point - others do read the thread as well.

Concur the point of "designed by the manufacturer" has not been tested.

Thundar

Maybe this Florida guy is a dog catcher????

The original letter says the guy open carries in Florida. Open carry is illegal for mere citizens in FLA. That means he is either a dog catcher or a LEO.

Either can carry almost anywhere in Virginia. Yup, a Florida dog catcher has better gun rights than a Virginia Citizen in the Commonwealth.