• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Action Impact - Southfield, MI

Nav0341

I am VERY proud of my daughter and just had to share this with a community of people who will probably appreciate it.

So, my daughter has been begging me to go shooting. It's not easy to find somewhere to shoot with an 8 year old "in the city." I've only found 2 ranges, 1 is the range out at Island Lake & run by DNR, and the other is Action Impact in Southfield. Being as I don't have a .22 pistol, and she wasn't shooting my 9mm, I had to rent one. So we went to Action Impact.

This was my first time using their facility to shoot....well for letting my daughter shoot.

Sorry for the "potato cam" my phone is barely hanging on while I wait for my upgrade in October.
[video=youtube_share;TkIVql09irw]http://youtu.be/TkIVql09irw[/video]

Overall I really enjoyed shooting here. And I was even more pleased with how they treated my daughter!!! A couple of customers looked at us weird, but the staff were more than accommodating in making sure she was comfortable (and me too lol, gave me a chair so I didn't have to kneel).

If you have children who you are interested in taking to the range and you live close by, I highly recommend taking them here. It was $25 for 1/2 hr and that included gun rental, eyes & ears & ammo. Most places require that they have hunter's safety training. But as you can see in the video, children much younger are perfectly capable of safe shooting.

The only con that I can say is that they have posted "no visible firearms in the retail area." I was under the impression that they allowed OC. I have a CPL and because we were there for my daughter to shoot, I just covered up.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
i gave my daughter a marlin .22 rifle for her 8th birthday. it was the one that my dad had given me for my 7th birthday. she loves shooting and kids really pick up on it quickly. kudos to you for starting her out young. teaching her the principles of safe gun handling at a young age will pay off. i know that because my dad started me out young, i never had any issues as a teen.

Michigander

Action impact is closer by, but at that price even with a decent sized truck you could about justify heading out to the Pit.

And if you ever opt to go to the pit, I have a .22 pistol, and would be happy to join you, but without those pesky range fees or rental fees. Just bring some ammo :cool:

stainless1911

Banned
Awww

That warmed my heart.

My daughter was 6 when I first took her shooting. Called her my little 6 shooter. I made her memorise the 4 safety rules and say them back to me in the car on the way there a couple times. Her first shots were from a P-22. I wound up buying her one. Fun little gun, but accuracy, not so much. Hindsight says Browning 1911/22. ;)

I took her to Advanced Ranges in Burton. (flint) The staff and costomers loved to see her there. People commented that I was "doin it right" etc. I was so proud.

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

Action impact is closer by, but at that price even with a decent sized truck you could about justify heading out to the Pit.

And if you ever opt to go to the pit, I have a .22 pistol, and would be happy to join you, but without those pesky range fees or rental fees. Just bring some ammo :cool:

+1 for the Pit. Plenty of others there almost always share what they have to shoot.

Organize an Open Carry Shoot, They will Come.

Nav0341

i gave my daughter a marlin .22 rifle for her 8th birthday. it was the one that my dad had given me for my 7th birthday. she loves shooting and kids really pick up on it quickly. kudos to you for starting her out young. teaching her the principles of safe gun handling at a young age will pay off. i know that because my dad started me out young, i never had any issues as a teen.

I am a huge advocate of teaching and exposing children to firearms. I am very confident that the only issues I will have when it comes to my children and firearms is being outshot by them lol. Speaking of handing down guns, I don't have any to hand down. But my Grandfather is passing down his single shot 20gauge that his dad bought him when he was 13, to my oldest son. It skipped a generation, but it's still really cool. One thing about quality firearms is they can become family heirlooms.

Great job! I have a 2 year old and an 8 month old, both girls. Really looking forward to them getting older and learning how to shoot.

It is one of the best experiences I've had with my children so far. I couldn't stop smiling when she was doing better than some of the adults at the range. Even in the manner of situational awareness, and staying calm even while .40 & .45s were going off in the lane next to us.

I will have to keep this in mind. I have heard much about this "Pit" and saw the cleanup project that was done there. I'm thinking this will be somewhere we start spending some family time.

That warmed my heart.

My daughter was 6 when I first took her shooting. Called her my little 6 shooter. I made her memorise the 4 safety rules and say them back to me in the car on the way there a couple times. Her first shots were from a P-22. I wound up buying her one. Fun little gun, but accuracy, not so much. Hindsight says Browning 1911/22. ;)

I took her to Advanced Ranges in Burton. (flint) The staff and costomers loved to see her there. People commented that I was "doin it right" etc. I was so proud.

I've looked at the P-22, I haven't shot it yet though. We shot the Ruger SR-22 when I took her to the range, not a bad lil plinker / learning pistol for the kids. I have also looked at the Browning 1911/22 and I really like that one as well, but haven't shot it either.

It's funny that you mention the rules of safety, we do the same thing. Sometimes I will randomly ask my kids a rule of safety or fundamental of marksmanship.

We practice for fun.... because it is fun. But they are also learning a skill set that could one day save their lives, or even mine for that matter.

stainless1911

Banned
I randomly ask her safety rules as well. Make sure she knows how to put them in practice, as well as knowing how to recite them.

Don't get a P-22. If it wasn't my daughters gun, I'd get rid of it.

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
i do the same thing stainless. if i'm talking to other adults about guns and i see my daughter listening in, i'll occasionally ask her what she knows about gun safety. she never disappoints.

mikestilly

Nice group! She handled the firearm well.

As for Action Impact I'm not a fan. When I called there and they informed me they charge $65 for transfers I could only laugh and hang up on them. Talk about extortion. I'll stick with my $15-20 transfers. With that type of pricing I wouldnt step foot in that store.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Nice group! She handled the firearm well.

As for Action Impact I'm not a fan. When I called there and they informed me they charge $65 for transfers I could only laugh and hang up on them. Talk about extortion. I'll stick with my $15-20 transfers. With that type of pricing I wouldnt step foot in that store.

Necroposting, anyone?

MikeTheGreek

The only con that I can say is that they have posted "no visible firearms in the retail area." I was under the impression that they allowed OC. I have a CPL and because we were there for my daughter to shoot, I just covered up.

I go to Action Impact somewhere between 1-3 times a week, live and work about 15-ish minutes from there, so they're the closest gun store to me. Their sign is only for the gun counter. If you are in the rental area, or the holster section, you're free to OC (Or at least that's what one of the salesman that I buy everything from there told me) and I OC in there about 1/2 the time and have never been told to cover up. Maybe because most of them know me decently well by now, but I doubt you'd have that much of a problem, they're all extremely friendly.

Orion

Great shooting, and excellent firearm handling skills. You've trained her well.

OneForAll

Cool dad, I bought my 7 year old a Smith & Wesson M&P 15/22 and a Colt Gold Cup 1911 22lr. He absolutely loves going to the range. He knows how to break down and clean them when he gets home too. He buys his own ammo (when we can find it) and pays his own way at the range. We go to Williams Gun Sight here in Davison, MI to shoot and they love it when he comes because of the amount of responsibility he shows and how he presents himself. I am glad there are other parents out there teaching their kids gun safety and responsibility.