• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just applied for my first License

SouthernNdN

I just finished my online application, I've scheduled my inkless Fingerprinting with a local agency and will finish up at the local Police Dept.

It seems weird having started the process. I was raised in a home where no guns were kept. The only time I was around guns would be when I would go hunting with a friend of the family, and then we only used 22 rifles, and then again I was a young teenager. I have yet to fire my first handgun, but will be changing that very soon. Btw I am 31 now.

My new brother-in-law of 4 months is a local LEO and an active member of the military. Besides his state issued weapon, he has I believe 3 personal handguns and 3 rifles. Many in my family believe it's a bit much, however I found myself thinking, if stuff was to hit the fan some day, he's definitely someone I would like covering my backside. I myself live south of my family about an hour and 20 mins in a place that doesn't feel all that safe. Although I've never had an issue in the 4 yrs I've lived here, I still have an issue with walking around my property after dark or feel 100% safe within my own home. Last week I had a bit of an issue that struck the final cord with me and my personal safety as well as those within my home. My brother-in-law will soon deploy once again, and I can't help think that someone has to take a stand to be willing to protect my family as well as his, while he is away serving. I plan on taking some time to go with him to the local range before his deployment begins. Not to mention, a week before he deploys he was to fly home to see the family, however now that has been changed and I will be driving my sister from Northern Indiana to the Southwest of the United States. Her and I have never been west of Chicago and I would feel much better knowing how to protect the both of us while on our little adventure, although I know I need to learn the laws of those states in which we will be traveling through while on our way to the base.

Now, I did have a question as far as the application. On the initial online application it asks how long you have been a resident of Indiana. I stated from 2006 to 2012 (present). However I was born in Indiana, but in 2006 I moved out of state for 6-7 months and then returned home in late 2006, although I never had my driver license changed, I assumed if I stated I had always lived in Indiana, something as far as taxes or something would show up and delay my application. And idea if I made the right choice? I know that after my appt tomorrow for finger printing I will have to visit my local Police Dept to finish the local application and pay the fees at which time I believe I will have to review everything and have them make any final changes. Any one have any idea if I should have it stated I have always lived in Indiana or if it should be left as it?

Any help and tips to a new guy on the block so to speak will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited:

cce1302

welcome to OCDO (Open Carry Dot Org)!!

We all have to start somewhere, and it looks like you're on your way.

When you stop at the police station tomorrow, ask the clerk for advice on how long you've been an Indiana resident. He will probably tell you to just say 31 years, but it shouldn't hurt to ask.

SouthernNdN

welcome to OCDO (Open Carry Dot Org)!!

We all have to start somewhere, and it looks like you're on your way.

When you stop at the police station tomorrow, ask the clerk for advice on how long you've been an Indiana resident. He will probably tell you to just say 31 years, but it shouldn't hurt to ask.

cce1302, thanks for the welcome. I don't know why I hadn't thought of it until now. I called my local ISP post and asked. I informed him that although I was out of state for 6-8 months working, I never changed my license etc. He informed me since I hadn't changed my legal state ID's or vehicle registration, that I hadn't declared residency there, and therefore are ok with stating for the entire 31 yrs.

If nothing else hopefully when this question is asked again, this will answer the question.

Thanks again.

SouthernNdN

Hey, is this the link to the application?

http://aries.in.gov/Firearms/Permit.aspx

Man, I would have objections all over this dog ....

Yes, that's the link for the state.

I filled that out and submited, I went to L-1 today and did the fingerprinting as well as paid the state fee. Tommorow I will be going up to the local PD to finish the local and pay the local fee.

I'm not exactly sure on the time in which it takes to recieve either the license or the rejection letter. I've read 6-8 weeks when doing things the old way, and then I believe I read somewhere it can be as little as 2 weeks when doing the electronic fingerprinting.

And what exactly would you have objections to? I assume your not an Indiana resident?