• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC laws in OH?

Will.40

I was wondering what the laws in Ohio are to OC. I have some business to take care of there tomorrow and wanted to know the laws about carrying and while in the car. any info will help thanks.

RT48

Open Carry is legal in Ohio but it makes a big difference if you have a concealed carry license recognized by Ohio. If you don't have such a license, you cannot:

1. Carry a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle. (See below to see how restrictive that is).
2. Carry in any bar/restaurant/grocery store which has a class D liquor license and is serving for on premises consumption.

Also, there is no legal definition of "open" or "concealed", so make sure your gun is very openly carried so the wrong cop doesn't decide to arrest you for carrying "concealed". In one case in Cleveland, a guy carrying openly in a military style flap holster which generated three calls to 911 for MWAG, still got arrested for CCW.

It's very important to understand Ohio's legal definition of "unloaded" which has no relationship to commonsense.

(5) “Unloaded” means any of the following:

(a) No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question. For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a) of this section, ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader.

Some links on Ohio law:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...ublications/Concealed-Carry-Laws-Booklet.aspx

Will.40

Open Carry is legal in Ohio but it makes a big difference if you have a concealed carry license recognized by Ohio. If you don't have such a license, you cannot:

1. Carry a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle. (See below to see how restrictive that is).
2. Carry in any bar/restaurant/grocery store which has a class D liquor license and is serving for on premises consumption.

Also, there is no legal definition of "open" or "concealed", so make sure your gun is very openly carried so the wrong cop doesn't decide to arrest you for carrying "concealed". In one case in Cleveland, a guy carrying openly in a military style flap holster which generated three calls to 911 for MWAG, still got arrested for CCW.

It's very important to understand Ohio's legal definition of "unloaded" which has no relationship to commonsense.

Some links on Ohio law:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...ublications/Concealed-Carry-Laws-Booklet.aspx

So basically in my vehicle i can have a unloaded handgun in say the glove box, with a unloaded clip somewhere else in the vehicle? does the ammo have to be stores separate from everything? sorry but these laws dont make much sense to me haha

MyWifeSaidYes

So basically in my vehicle i can have a unloaded handgun in say the glove box, with a unloaded clip somewhere else in the vehicle? does the ammo have to be stores separate from everything? sorry but these laws dont make much sense to me haha

The gun, it's unloaded magazine and the ammo, can all be in the glove box. There just can't be any rounds in the gun or mag.

And no, it doesn't have to make sense. This is Ohio - where a semi-auto that can hold 31 rounds is fine, but it holds 32 or more, it's considered a full-auto machinegun.

ncwabbit

thanks... i am a displaced buckeye and am coming back for a visit next week so i appreciated the links and insight...

go well, remembering to enjoy life to its fullest...'tis too short otherwise!!

wabbit