• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Illinois

Openlyaware

Hey everyone, I'll be moving (back) to Illinois at the beginning of next year. I'm military, so that's the reason. I've been in Virginia for the last 5 years and have been carrying my pistol open for the last half a year or more. I have a few questions for when i move to Illinois. I am aware of the FOID card and how that works, I've heard that if you are not a resident of Illinois that any CCW permit counts as your FOID when in the state. I don't know how true this is and if that also works for active duty military that get stationed in Illinois. To summarize, should i send all my firearms home to my parents in Texas before i move to Illinois and then get my FOID card before bringing in my guns, or can i just bring them all since i have a Virginia CCW permit.

Thank you in advance for any assistance with this!

Openlyaware

(edit) Also i want to mention that i am aware that i will not be able to carry in any way outside of my home/dwelling while in the state.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
FOID card is for purchasing guns and ammo .. you can own guns w/o FOID card. Go ahead and ship to IL home & get FOID card.

Openlyaware

Really, I hope that is the case. The Illinois state police web page does say "The FOID card is required for any resident of Illinois to possess or purchase firearms." so i assumed that i wouldn't be able to bring them until i had the card.

jayspapa

What part of the state are you moving to? I hope it isn't anywhere in Cook Co. You have a grace period , I think 60 days , to get the FOID card. Just store the guns in your home and don't try to go to a shooting range or anything else till you have the card in hand.

Also , you would be wise to send the card certified mail so they have to sign for it. That way you have a record of when it was received. The law says they have 30 days but they often go as much as 45 days or more . Find out who your state Sen. is and if you don't have it in 30 days call them and ask for help in getting it. Do NOT bother calling the number listed for help from ISP. They have been known to keep people on hold for 45 min.

Good luck to you .

davidmcbeth

Banned
And to note, it matters what county you are moving to. In DuPage County ("a little bit of Texas in the Midwest") you'll find it to be a very friendly gun county. I had a friend in an unincorporated area of DuPage & all his neighbors held ffls. And wouldn't you know it? No crime at all.

Openlyaware

Thank you everyone for the help so far. I guess i'll try to find out what county I will be going to, then I'll go from there. Should I try calling that county's court house or something to find out more details?

I'll have a little more time to be sure about all of this since i shouldn't be leaving any sooner than this December. I will only be there 3 years though, which is going to be a little much to go through without carrying. How's that concealed carry coming over there?

Thank you again for the info, still not totally sure how I'm going to do this so If anyone else has anymore ideas I'd appreciate it.

jayspapa

Contacting the court house won't help you any. They would probably direct you to the ISP. Now you may find it hard to believe but the ISP has been known to not tell the whole truth of the matter.

Knowing the town or county you will be in will help a lot to better answer your questions.

M-Taliesin

My condolences.

Howdy Amigo!
My condolences as well. The Land of Lincoln is still waiting for emanicipation from the enslavement of gun owners.

If you ain't free to exercise your Constitutional rights, you are enslaved by government masters.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

10x

Why would you want to move back to Illinois? I left 22yrs ago to Florida and have been carrying ever since.

M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin - considering the sad news of the day and your location, how much grief have the local media been giving gun-owners out there?

Howdy Hunter!
Sorry for the lengthy delay. Ive been pretty busy out here in Colorado, and much of it involved reporting events on our state board as they unfolded. Even got myself quoted by USA Today! I figured somebody needed to get something positive into the press about OC, and I tried.

Anyhow, the press has been mostly neutural. Local media hasn't been an issue to fret about.
What has been unwelcome by OC'ers is Jesse Jackson Jr. coming out here to stump for gun control. Considering he is from a city with a huge crime problem where citizens are denied the right to carry is beyond ironic. But there it is, so what can one do with it?
Another unwelcome bit of nonsense came from a couple of our representatives of federal government such as congressman Ed Perlmutter who would like to do another assault weapons ban. Sure, why not? The last one worked out so very well, except it didn't. Diane Digette is another who would like to get more restrictive gun control. I anticipate they'll have trouble with electile dysfunction, and likely discover they should have exercise more mouth control before assaulting citizen rights.

In direct contrast to what such leaders may think about guns, sales of firearms have increased 41 percent in the days immediately following the Midnight Movie Massacre!
Gun shops are reporting brisk sales, CBI/FBI background checks are streaming in at a much higher rate than in weeks previous, and instructors are getting overwhelmed by the number of folks asking for CCW classes and firearms training.

It is much less about what media types think, or social movement gurus feel, or what elected officals believe (they're supposed to represent their constituents, right?)
The people are speaking much louder than they, and the message is clear. Citizens of Colorado are arming up. The citizens of Colorado 'get it'. They are starting to understand that we already have gun laws on the books. It didn't save 12 fellow citizens on 7/20. We have laws prohibiting attempted murder, murder in the 1st degree, assault with a deadly weapon and a ton of others. Those laws did not deter the shooter. Nor would any additional laws that would make more difficult for law abiding citizens to defend themselves against someone of this ilk.

When somebody has a motor vehicle accident, doing property damage or causing injury or death, we don't blame the car. We don't seek a motor vehicle ban, we don't try to determine what vehicles are most likely involved in accidents and seek to control them, we hold the driver directly responsible and liable. So considering this as simili, why do some outfits attack guns for what some psychotic did? The gun wasn't responsible, it was the man who used it.

Anyhow, I will get off my soap box, and just say our local media has been reasonably even-handed.

Not so the shills of gun control, who are currently working to end their relevance as the people figure out they are responsible for their own safety and self defense. We look forward to the day that some of our elected representatives are trying to find work in the private sector as our citizens speak their minds at the polls just as loudly as they have expressed their sentiments at the gun shops.

Thanks for the question, but I now return you to our regularly scheduled topic.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin - I understand both the delay and the frustration.
Considering what Gov. Quinn has pulled out of his "orifice", the idea of leaving Illinois is becoming stronger and stronger.
I'd even leave without paying my property tax and no way to collect. The house and barn would be a smoking pile.
Here's what this no-good P.o.S. is up to now.

Howdy Pardner!
And what do the good people of Illinois intend to do about this overt and obvious usurpation of power, and effective display of tyranny?
Who is out demonstrating in the streets in umbrage and justified outrage? Who have denounced the flagrant abuse of power this represents?
Who is standing up against such brigandry and stirring the passions of liberty in the land of Lincoln?

When in the course of human affairs, it becomes clear that legal rights are overwhelmed by a monarchical betrayal of the public trust; where the usurpation of the inalienable rights of the people has been torn away by such power mongering ambitions of a man who seeks power unto himself, should the people not cast him out?

Recall his butt, throw him out of office, send him packing, perhaps to join Blagojevich!
Should a man who finds liberty detestable not be deprived of his own, for the very cause of trampling the liberty of the people?

It the reports be true, and I do not deny what is possible when corrupt men rise to high office,
It is the right, indeed the duty, of a free people to overthrow such tyrant.

Illinois.... don't make me come out there!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

RANDYT

Howdy Pardner!
And what do the good people of Illinois intend to do about this overt and obvious usurpation of power, and effective display of tyranny?
Who is out demonstrating in the streets in umbrage and justified outrage? Who have denounced the flagrant abuse of power this represents?
Who is standing up against such brigandry and stirring the passions of liberty in the land of Lincoln?

When in the course of human affairs, it becomes clear that legal rights are overwhelmed by a monarchical betrayal of the public trust; where the usurpation of the inalienable rights of the people has been torn away by such power mongering ambitions of a man who seeks power unto himself, should the people not cast him out?

Recall his butt, throw him out of office, send him packing, perhaps to join Blagojevich!
Should a man who finds liberty detestable not be deprived of his own, for the very cause of trampling the liberty of the people?

It the reports be true, and I do not deny what is possible when corrupt men rise to high office,
It is the right, indeed the duty, of a free people to overthrow such tyrant.
Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Recall is basically impossible. Have to have a certain number of senators, and reps, from both parties to sign off on it, then have to collect signatures from like 15% of all the registered voters, with a certain number from certain counties, within 150 days just to have a recall election.