• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Defensive Handgun I class - Doswell, Va. Sunday, July 22, 2012

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Sunday, July 22, 2012 from 9am to 5pm

Defensive Handgun I is a structured shooting class designed to teach you the beginning shooting techniques needed to properly deploy your defensive handgun, while at the same time reinforcing safe gun handling skills. This is not a course for the novice gun owner, but rather for someone who carries a handgun on a regular basis and wants to learn & reinforce new skills beyond the basic fundamentals.

DHIclasslatmove2.jpg

Students will shoot from standing, kneeling, and prone positions, at various distances at our outdoor range facility. The course generally runs about 6-8 hours, depending on class size (Limit 10 students per class).

dhi031712.jpg

Topics include:

Holster draw & Presentation
Semi-auto malfunctions
One/Two hand shooting techniques
Linear/Lateral Movement
Target Recognition
Verbal Commands
Magazine changes/reloads while shooting
Shooting from Retention
Shooting from Standing, Kneeling & Prone Positions
Reinforcement of Basic Handgun Skills & Safety

Cost for the class is $150.00. You may register online at http://www.ProactiveShooters.com

davidmcbeth

Banned
should add some large objects to train folks to take cover (maybe you do, just not in pics) ?

the semi-auto malfunction is a great thing to teach .... (I use a 357 so malfunctions are almost zero but I have had issues with semi-autos after firing a few rounds through them ~ its one good thing about the 1911 model, you can toss it in mud and it will still work).

do you have CC folks bring various clothing articles to get used to different apparel & draw aspects?

ProShooter

should add some large objects to train folks to take cover (maybe you do, just not in pics) ?

the semi-auto malfunction is a great thing to teach .... (I use a 357 so malfunctions are almost zero but I have had issues with semi-autos after firing a few rounds through them ~ its one good thing about the 1911 model, you can toss it in mud and it will still work).

do you have CC folks bring various clothing articles to get used to different apparel & draw aspects?

The large objects are coming in Defensive Handgun II.

I agree about the malfunction drills. They will occur naturally during the course so its a good refresher.

We do a bit of drawing from concealment so students will bring a cover garment to get introduced to the topic. The jackets go away quickly though due to the heat!

scouser

Jim, do you have any plans, or has anyone else shown any interest in having this class during the middle of the week at all? Reason being, for pretty much the foreseeable future my work schedule is Friday through Monday yet I'd be interested in attending if you held it midweek.
No harm, no foul if you don't, but I figured if I didn't ask I'd never know.

ProShooter

Jim, do you have any plans, or has anyone else shown any interest in having this class during the middle of the week at all? Reason being, for pretty much the foreseeable future my work schedule is Friday through Monday yet I'd be interested in attending if you held it midweek.
No harm, no foul if you don't, but I figured if I didn't ask I'd never know.

We haven't had a request for it, but if we can get some interest in it we'll be happy to look into scheduling one.

I train every day, so weekdays are good for me! :)

scouser

Back to the subject on hand.

Is there anyone else interested in a midweek version of this class? Thursdays work best for me with the exception of the week of August 12th. If there's enough interest for Jim to put the class on, I'll take one of the available spots.