Thread: "with a view to prevent crime" please explain it to me?

"with a view to prevent crime" please explain it to me?

Someone please explain this piece of legal speak to me.
    “With a view to prevent crime”
    I was in court today as a state witness; one of the cases that came up was due to carry on campus amongst other charges in our laws in TN State
    “39-17-1351. Handgun carry permits.

(a) The citizens of this state have a right to keep and bear arms for their common defense; but the general assembly has the power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime.”
    I am trying to wrap my head around the legal meaning and all I can find on search engines are statutes that contain the wording.
    Would not this be better served to forbid firearms in convenience stores as that is the location of far more gun related crimes than a school?
    I have further conclusions but without a definition of “with a view to prevent crime” I cannot solidify these or approach the subject in a manner that could produce change.
    Thank you in advance
    Pat

Banned
    its called police power .... worded kinda odd but that's what it is

kind of a meaningless law since it gives itself away in the first sentence. but the power of the words are that the government have the right to declare that carrying of a firearm will cause crime

again how can something legal cause something illegal? how can the carrying of an inanimate object cause a crime?

sounds a lot like one of those BS laws that needs to be off the books
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

The same phrase is in the Texas Constitution, rkba provision.

We have the same phrase in the Texas Constitution. The problem is that banning the carrying of firearms does not prevent crime; it creates one.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

It's a Jim Crow law.

With a view to... = For the purpose of...

I'd interpret that phrase to mean, "for the purpose of preventing crime." And I agree a billion % that disarming law abiding citizens does nothing to prevent crime. It only makes bleeding heart liberals and criminals happy.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.” ― Plato

Plato knew this yet today's antis still don't get it!

Join the fight for freedom
    Oathkeepers

My $.02......In their context....it gives themselves the out to say 'we can regulate firearms to prevent crime, if we deem needed'.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

It's the part of our constitution that needs to be amended.

A good way to prevent crime would be to let those that can otherwise legally carry a firearm do so on college campuses.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Luggo View Post
    The same phrase is in the Texas Constitution, rkba provision.
    Yes it is in our Constitution as well as in TCA.

Quote Originally Posted by Maine Expat View Post
    With a view to... = For the purpose of...

I'd interpret that phrase to mean, "for the purpose of preventing crime." And I agree a billion % that disarming law abiding citizens does nothing to prevent crime. It only makes bleeding heart liberals and criminals happy.
    I was under the same impression

Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    It's the part of our constitution that needs to be amended.

A good way to prevent crime would be to let those that can otherwise legally carry a firearm do so on college campuses.
    Right they let us carry in places with a higher likely hood of crime (one could surmise to help suppress it "with a view to prevent". It would only make sense under this thinking, if that is where it stems from that they should encourage carry in what is currently our "Gun Free Zones".

If this is in fact the intended meaning they have proven the unconstitutionality of many of our regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    I know, right? Sadly, the Board of Regents at Virginia Tech STILL insists that doing so would unleash bedlam. What they don't know is that students have been carrying at school for decades without a SINGLE problem. I knew several students, including two roommates, and a couple of neighbors, who carried all the time.

The Board of Regents cannot prevent another Cho, no matter what they do. But they could have prevented the massacre, or at least reduced the number who died, had they allowed campus carry.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.