• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"with a view to prevent crime" please explain it to me?

pfries

Someone please explain this piece of legal speak to me.
“With a view to prevent crime”
I was in court today as a state witness; one of the cases that came up was due to carry on campus amongst other charges in our laws in TN State
“39-17-1351. Handgun carry permits.

(a) The citizens of this state have a right to keep and bear arms for their common defense; but the general assembly has the power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime.”
I am trying to wrap my head around the legal meaning and all I can find on search engines are statutes that contain the wording.
Would not this be better served to forbid firearms in convenience stores as that is the location of far more gun related crimes than a school?
I have further conclusions but without a definition of “with a view to prevent crime” I cannot solidify these or approach the subject in a manner that could produce change.
Thank you in advance
Pat

papa bear

kind of a meaningless law since it gives itself away in the first sentence. but the power of the words are that the government have the right to declare that carrying of a firearm will cause crime

again how can something legal cause something illegal? how can the carrying of an inanimate object cause a crime?

sounds a lot like one of those BS laws that needs to be off the books

rodbender

We have the same phrase in the Texas Constitution. The problem is that banning the carrying of firearms does not prevent crime; it creates one.

Maine Expat

With a view to... = For the purpose of...

I'd interpret that phrase to mean, "for the purpose of preventing crime." And I agree a billion % that disarming law abiding citizens does nothing to prevent crime. It only makes :cuss: bleeding heart liberals and criminals happy. :banghead:

Redbaron007

My $.02......In their context....it gives themselves the out to say 'we can regulate firearms to prevent crime, if we deem needed'. :shocker:

SovereignAxe

It's the part of our constitution that needs to be amended.

A good way to prevent crime would be to let those that can otherwise legally carry a firearm do so on college campuses.

pfries

The same phrase is in the Texas Constitution, rkba provision.

Yes it is in our Constitution as well as in TCA.

With a view to... = For the purpose of...

I'd interpret that phrase to mean, "for the purpose of preventing crime." And I agree a billion % that disarming law abiding citizens does nothing to prevent crime. It only makes :cuss: bleeding heart liberals and criminals happy. :banghead:

I was under the same impression

It's the part of our constitution that needs to be amended.

A good way to prevent crime would be to let those that can otherwise legally carry a firearm do so on college campuses.

Right they let us carry in places with a higher likely hood of crime (one could surmise to help suppress it "with a view to prevent". It would only make sense under this thinking, if that is where it stems from that they should encourage carry in what is currently our "Gun Free Zones".

If this is in fact the intended meaning they have proven the unconstitutionality of many of our regulations.

since9

Campaign Veteran

I know, right? Sadly, the Board of Regents at Virginia Tech STILL insists that doing so would unleash bedlam. What they don't know is that students have been carrying at school for decades without a SINGLE problem. I knew several students, including two roommates, and a couple of neighbors, who carried all the time.

The Board of Regents cannot prevent another Cho, no matter what they do. But they could have prevented the massacre, or at least reduced the number who died, had they allowed campus carry.