• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Come join us on MOC's Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheQ

If you're not aware, or haven't dropped in for a while, Michigan Open Carry, Inc. has an Internet Forum. Often days there are more active discussions there than here in the Michigan section of OCDO -- there's even more going on in the Members Only areas of the forum for our dies paying members.

Joining the Forums is free. Check us out!

Last edited:

Michigander

I'd rather not put up with Pat.

There is that, and there is the fact that while I was away, my status got downgraded and the hidden forums are now hidden from me because my membership lapsed.

Between pat, and an organization I helped found having a forum which was deemed too good for me, I can't see much reason to post there anymore, or renew my membership as I had been planning on when I returned back in April. Not that I'm whining that I deserve special treatment, just that the style of give us money or you're not cool enough doesn't work for me. It is the one and only forum I've ever been a part of which requires annual dues for access.

As a matter of fact, Phil, please feel free to erase my profile. It won't be getting used.

Evil Creamsicle

There is that, and there is the fact that while I was away, my status got downgraded and the hidden forums are now hidden from me because my membership lapsed.

Between pat, and an organization I helped found having a forum which was deemed too good for me, I can't see much reason to post there anymore, or renew my membership as I had been planning on when I returned back in April. Not that I'm whining that I deserve special treatment, just that the style of give us money or you're not cool enough doesn't work for me. It is the one and only forum I've ever been a part of which requires annual dues for access.

As a matter of fact, Phil, please feel free to erase my profile. It won't be getting used.

I did try to login but I don't remember what email address I even registered with, so I can't anyway. However I agree with Michigander, and also feel MOC has kind of taken on an 'NRA' method of operating [ETA: operating the forum] that I'm unsure how to respond to, other than refraining from participation as I do with them. Plenty of good people over there, don't get me wrong.

Last edited:

Michigander

I don't have a broad distaste for MOC, just the forum issue, and as stated, Pat. Sure the leadership has had some stumbling along the way, but I don't know what we could all expect from an unpaid position which carries with it so much stress.

I will happily donate to cause specific funds such as the CADL case, and perhaps even work with MOC on projects if I am ever asked to do so. But the forum, or membership? Nope. Not as it stands.

Last edited:

WARCHILD

I fully agree and Phil, since you don't feel my emails/pm's didn't deserve a response; I too take this opportunity to tell you to erase my profile as well.

stainless1911

Banned
I don't have a broad distaste for MOC, just the forum issue, and as stated, Pat. Sure the leadership has had some stumbling along the way, but I don't know what we could all expect from an unpaid position which carries with it so much stress.

I will happily donate to cause specific funds such as the CADL case, and perhaps even work with MOC on projects if I am ever asked to do so. But the forum, or membership? Nope. Not as it stands.

Sure, I'll work with them, but thats all for now.

Evil Creamsicle

Nor do I... I suppose my post wasn't clear, but I was referring to the forum issue, with the membership being required and all. You guys get some good things done, and I wasn't saying I don't support you or anything of that nature.

Evil Creamsicle

This is degenerating a bit though so I feel I should stop it from going all the way into a four page argument-fest:

These are personal gripes, and I don't particularly wish to discourage others from registering if they want to. There is plenty to be learned over there too.

Michigander

Nor do I... I suppose my post wasn't clear, but I was referring to the forum issue, with the membership being required and all. You guys get some good things done, and I wasn't saying I don't support you or anything of that nature.

While we're on the topic, just for further clarity, I'm not saying that I'm 100% am okay with the way that MOC has been handled apart from the issues that I brought up, quite the opposite. Rather, it's that politics and other nonsense are going to be a hairy situation when an organization has these challenges from external forces as well as its own structure and members. So though I may be irritated over certain things at certain times, it's not a situation where holding grudges and such is productive, or even relevant. I am however fine with stepping away indefinitely from membership when I feel like that's the best possible choice.

Michigander

Being as I've known evil creamsicle since he was 5, and warchild since 2008, I can say with some pretty good certainty that none of us want a flame war. Being a registered member over there, I figured I'd bring up my concerns and issues since the topic came up. Anyone may make of them what they wish.

Yance

Not to be a dick, but you're upset at MOC because you let your paid membership lapse and cant access the section slotted for paying members? That doesnt sound too logical. To my knowledge any forum that youre going to pay to be a member for will allow you access to a paying member section, if you dont pay again to be a member then you are no longer a "paying member" and would not have access to the sections slotted for "paying members"...I mean correct me if I'm wrong here.

TheQ

For the record, MGO also has a member's only area of their Forum.

They also have other Forum perks that only dues paying members get.

FWIW to all the MOC/MOC Forum detractors, don't like our Forum? Fine, don't use it. The purpose of my OP was to let people who aren't aware of our Forums know they exist. That's all.

Also, there's a smaller percentage of threads there that get locked than here. Fewer personal attacks, IMHO. Others (Adam?) can chime in with their thoughts.

Please, keep bickering about how you don't like our Forums. It keeps this thread alive and lets others see the OP....

If you would like to make a constructive suggestion about how we change the Forum, I'm all ears.

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
For the record, MGO also has a member's only area of their Forum.

They also have other Forum perks that only dues paying members get.

FWIW to all the MOC detractors, don't like our Forum? Fine, don't use it. The purpose of my OP was to let people who aren't aware of our Forums know they exist. That's all.

Also, there's a smaller percentage of threads there that get locked than here. Fewer personal attacks, IMHO. Others (Adam?) can chime in with their thoughts.

Please, keep bickering about how you don't like our Forums. It keeps this thread alive and lets others see the OP....

If you would like to make a constructive suggestion about how we change the Forum, I'm all ears.

Feel better? Cause your post isn't helping. Just saying, this action has consequences that have been discussed.

Yance

Well I think his point (Q) was that no one is forced to use our forums, just like no one is forced to use any other forums.

I do have to agree with Q though, if you have a problem with how the forums are ran and operated send an email over to leadership@miopencarry.org with any suggestions of what you would like to see changed and I know that all suggestions are accepted as MOCs forum is still growing and changing all the time.

But to complain about not liking a forum (regardless of whos it is) because you are no longer a paying member and cant access paying member content is a little...pointless? Paying memberships have their benefits, thats part of the reason its a paid membership. There are still plenty of access to forum members, as with most web forums, but to knock the a specific website/group/forum for something like not accessing paying member content while not being a paying member isnt right.

But again, if you have any suggestions or have an issue with the way the forums or memberships are ran feel free to contact leadership@miopencarry.org.

MOC is still young as organizations and forums go so there is still a lot of improving and sculpting of the organization going on, the only way it can get better is if people like you (all of you) let them know what they can do to make it better.

Last edited:

Ezerharden

Quick point, non sided I hope, isn't creating a "paid members" area kind of counter productive to the concept of disseminating information? If you don't pay you are excluded from some discussions that may be informative. I can understand "Members Only" areas to discuss organization policies and such, that makes sense. I guess I would be better able to see if I would want to join or not if I had a better idea of what the "Members Only" area offered. Perhaps a one or two week "Open House" making all areas open so people could see the difference might be better advertising. Just my 2 cents worth, back to lurking mode.

ETA: I also saw the business perks, but sadly none are really in my area.

Last edited:

TheQ

Our member's only area has 3 sub-forums:

Announcements
Members Lounge
Member Feedback

There are about a half dozen forums that are open for public viewing (people not logged in). There's another half dozen areas that are visible once you log in (even if you aren't a dues paying member). 90% of the conversation on that Forum happens in publicly accessible areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.