Thread: Cops go to wrong house, kill man

Cops go to wrong house, kill man

http://m.now.msn.com/florida-officer...?ocid=todnow11

Basically cops went to this guys house at 1:30 am and banged on the door (without announcing themselves) the guy opens the door with a gun in his hand and the cops shot him before going oops wrong house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CrimsonSoul; 07-17-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonSoul View Post
    http://m.now.msn.com/florida-officer...?ocid=todnow11

Basically cops went to this guys house at 1:30 am and banged on the door (without announcing themselves) the guy opens the door with a gun in his hand and the cops shot him before going oops wrong house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The report is that he pointed it at the cops. That is a forcible felony in Florida. If that is, in fact, true.....Stoopid

The report also says that the cops didn't identify themselves as cops... he very likely did not know they were cops, he just knew there were armed men as he opened the door.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/deputies...163819466.html
    Last edited by badey; 07-17-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: add link

Quote Originally Posted by badey View Post
    The report also says that the cops didn't identify themselves as cops... he very likely did not know they were cops, he just knew there were armed men as he opened the door.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/deputies...163819466.html
    Why would a LAC point a gun at people he knew were police? If it sounds stupid it is a lie~the sheriffs dept is lying to try to cover their ass. NOW here is a case where the USDOJ needs to investigate and bring charges. This man's rights were clearly violated. There needs to be a stop put to these middle of the night raids.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Why would a LAC point a gun at people he knew were police? If it sounds stupid it is a lie~the sheriffs dept is lying to try to cover their ass. NOW here is a case where the USDOJ needs to investigate and bring charges. This man's rights were clearly violated. There needs to be a stop put to these middle of the night raids.
    Why would a LAC point a gun at people he knew were police?
    Maybe he wasn't? People do stupid things. Some people are crazy.....

If it sounds stupid it is a lie~the sheriffs dept is lying to try to cover their ass.
    WOW! Jump to conclusions much?

If I had to guess, I'd say the guy answered the door with the gun in his hand like a normal person would and didn't point it at them. That detail would then be "fixed in the report" later.

Or, it's possible the guy did point it at them, and it's just a no win situation and the cops can't be blamed.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    If I had to guess, I'd say the guy answered the door with the gun in his hand like a normal person would and didn't point it at them. That detail would then be "fixed in the report" later.

Or, it's possible the guy did point it at them, and it's just a no win situation and the cops can't be blamed.
    Normal people open their front door with a gun in their hand when there are uniformed LEO outside?

Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post
    Normal people open their front door with a gun in their hand when there are uniformed LEO outside?
    Maybe I'm not normal, but I don't open the door unless I know who it is. Even then, it's a coin toss. And yes, I have a gun in my hand and a barking dog behind me when I do, but it's not pointed at anyone.

Still a tragedy, any way it went down.
    Director,
    Florida Carry, Inc.

Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

He didn't know they were cops. By their own admission they were being "sneaky" looking for an assault suspect.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    He didn't know they were cops. By their own admission they were being "sneaky" looking for an assault suspect.
    Sneaky? In Uniform? OK.

Sneaky? In Uniform? OK.
    You tell us, what kind of uniform were they in? Regular police uniform with shiny badges, and colorful patches, or urban warfare uniform with dark patches and no metal badges? In fact these guys are shown across the country with the only identifying insignias on their back.

Sneaky? In Uniform? OK.
    What's so hard to understand?

In 2008 I lived in Orlando and got a knock on my door at 2 AM and it was the cops looking for somebody. I had a gun in my hand concealed behind the door. If they had pushed it open, and seen it things may could have gone south real quick.

plain clothes knocked, uniformed ones to the side.
    Last edited by 77zach; 07-18-2012 at 02:31 PM.

If Andrew Scott had been able to shoot back and kill one or both of the officers, would he have been charged with murder?

What do you think. A citizen shoots and kills two deputies where more deputies show up after that? Seriously, there is a outside chance that any other cops that show up would not shoot the shooter.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Fake cops rapes women

A guy in Cocoa, FL many years ago worked at several businesses a security guard. He was convicted of pulling over woman, with a blue flashing light, while driving his personal car. He would either tell them to trade sex for not getting arrested on a made up charge or simply handcuff them if they would not agree to sex. He had a master key for a motel where he was working security and would rape them in a empty room. It finally caught up to him.

Never blindly follow authority figure orders, do your best to know the law. That second one is really difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by spacecoast321 View Post
    A guy in Cocoa, FL many years ago worked at several businesses a security guard. He was convicted of pulling over woman, with a blue flashing light, while driving his personal car. He would either tell them to trade sex for not getting arrested on a made up charge or simply handcuff them if they would not agree to sex. He had a master key for a motel where he was working security and would rape them in a empty room. It finally caught up to him.

Never blindly follow authority figure orders, do your best to know the law. That second one is really difficult.
    We had a real trooper raping women here, and a few police officers also. The trooper was pulling over Hispanics, threatening them with deportation if the females did not have sex. We got pulled over by this trooper before he was caught, as he was walking up to our car I informed him I had a CHP. We had no incident with him, but found out he was arrested about a year later.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump