• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police shoot armed man who trying to defend hisself

Jack House

He wasn't defending himself, he was trying to protect himself. The deputies knocked on his door at 1:30am, he had no idea who it was. So he answered the door armed, like most of us would have.

MKEgal

So how many people are of the "don't answer the door, hope they go away" camp when faced with a similar situation?
And how many would look out the peephole or a window?
How many would shout through the door to find out who was there? (And if you're convinced they're cops, do you open the door anyway?)
And how many would actually open the door (without looking or asking first)?

The couple times I've been woken by someone at my door, I've looked out an upstairs window & asked "who is it?", which makes them walk around from the front of the house to the side & I can see who it is. I can talk to them right there, or I could get dressed (including pistol) & go closer.

Last edited:

Diocoles

I would have to agree.
I see it as flat out manslaughter.
Not murder, it wasn't their intention, but their bad judgment took a soul that can't be replaced.

carracer

This is one of my only fears. Even tho I live in a fairly new subdivision free of crime and ne'er do wells, I always fear a mistake happening.

NoTolerance

I've wondered what would happen if police executed a search warrant on an incorrect address, busted into a home, and were shot/killed by a terrified homeowner who thought someone was breaking in.

The homeowner would be acting within his rights and, assuming he wasn't in turn shot to death, would he reasonably be charged?

Jack House

So how many people are of the "don't answer the door, hope they go away" camp when faced with a similar situation?
How many would shout through the door to find out who was there? (And if you're convinced they're cops, do you open the door anyway?)

The couple times I've been woken by someone at my door, I've looked out an upstairs window & asked "who is it?", which makes them walk around from the front of the house to the side & I can see who it is. I can talk to them right there, or I could get dressed (including pistol) & go closer.
I look out the window, but doesn't usually do much good. Sometimes I'll ask, sometimes I'll just answer the door. I always have my gun either on me or in my hand behind my back.

px4guy

I look out the window, but doesn't usually do much good. Sometimes I'll ask, sometimes I'll just answer the door. I always have my gun either on me or in my hand behind my back.

I'm a little conflicted here. Obviously it sucks that he was killed, but had the guy answered the door in the manner you describe, maybe he would still be alive. What I got out of the video was that he opened the door while pointing the gun at the deputies. The deputies most likely could have seen that this was indeed the wrong man, but in their defense and for all they knew, he could have been someone with a warrant from another jurisdiction that freaked out at the thought of being taken in and was dead set on taking one of them out. In any event, it's just sad all the way around. It sucks that he had to die, and it also sucks that the officers have to live with the fact that they killed a seemingly innocent man.

jayspapa

I think both sides were wrong here. The police should have announced they were leo . The home owner should have found out who was knocking on his door at 1:30 AM before opening the door , gun in hand or not.

That said , When he opened the door he was ( according to the report ) pointing a gun at them. That is not a good way to greet anyone unless you know it is a threat.

With what is known about this story , I can't find fault with the police this time.

Tanner

I think both sides were wrong here. The police should have announced they were leo . The home owner should have found out who was knocking on his door at 1:30 AM before opening the door , gun in hand or not.

That said , When he opened the door he was ( according to the report ) pointing a gun at them. That is not a good way to greet anyone unless you know it is a threat.

With what is known about this story , I can't find fault with the police this time.

Agree 100% if and IF the story is as reported then mistakes were made by poth parties. Unfortunately the homeowners mistake cost him his life. Maby only cost the leo his job or at least a investigation by internal afairs. I suggest that leos be trained how to find a adress. Example: Give them this address == 13847 Hull Street Rd, Midlothian, VA 23112 ==
and see how fast they can find it! If they cant find it....................THEY AINT MENT TO BE LEOs

P.S search that address you will like it

px4guy

I've wondered what would happen if police executed a search warrant on an incorrect address, busted into a home, and were shot/killed by a terrified homeowner who thought someone was breaking in.

The homeowner would be acting within his rights and, assuming he wasn't in turn shot to death, would he reasonably be charged?

I'm not sure how that would turn out, but I'm thinking that it most likely wouldn't be good. Here in Indiana, a law was recently passed authorizing lethal force against law enforcement officers if they unlawfully enter someone's residence. I'm not so sure that a mistaken address would constitute unlawful entry though. I would imagine if they announced themselves and that they had a warrant, the courts would probably still find that they were acting in their official capacity even though the address was incorrect, which probably would not turn out well for the homeowner.

davidmcbeth

Banned
. Here in Indiana, a law was recently passed authorizing lethal force against law enforcement officers if they unlawfully enter someone's residence. .

That's because you eminent supreme court ruled that if cops come to your house, you have to let them do whatever they want (overturning only about 700 yrs of common law). So your state had to pass a law ... that's a band-aid IMO, you need to change your constitution as that court opinion is still golden and the law can change in a heart beat.

Last edited:

OC for ME

No, only the two deputies state that he pointed a gun at them. Ya think they have a vested interest in maintaining that story?

gunns

The reporter starts out by saying "there is no protocol when it comes to knocking on a person who is allegedly a dangerous suspects door". Not only doesn't it make sense it is completely wrong and a lie. They have protocols about how they knock on a door at 1:30AM.

I don't believe them one single bit.

Last edited:

Tucker6900

While I dont blame the victim in this case at all, I would have done things differently. He obviously made a mistake opening the door.

Banging on the door, not knowing who it is, my first call would have been to the police.

The police made several mistakes here....

1)They did not announce themselves as police. If they had, an innocent man would not have been killed.
2)They did not have all of the available information of the person they were looking for. So, they guessed.......And killed an innocent man.
3)There never was, and still is no accountability in that department. I read a statement from the sheriff that said "If you pull a gun on the cops you are going to get shot." More than likely the thin blue line will take care of this department, and they will fight any wrong doing on their part.

This is the second time in a few months that law enforcement has done this. I think its time for our elected officials to make more laws like the on in Indiana.

R

raifle

I would have to agree. Not murder, it wasn't their intention, but their bad judgment took a soul that can't be replaced.