• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cops shoot wrong guy...oops

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Yea, I would have answer the door with a gun in my hand too, if I didn't have a peephole. I wonder if the guy had one or if he asked who is it? Lots of details missing in this story. Looks like a bad shoot all-around though...

since9

Campaign Veteran
Red Flags All OVER the place

Get a load of what Yahoo is reporting:

"Investigators ... killed a man who had nothing to do with their case."

If the man had nothing to do with their case, why did they kill him?

"There is no protocol when it comes to knocking on a person who is allegedly a dangerous suspect's door."

Uh, yes there is. I'm not aware of a single law enforcement agency that doesn't have a protocol for serving a warrant on a dangerous suspect.

"When Lake County deputies knocked on the wrong door ... they used their own judgement when one of the deputies killed the person who answered."

Innocent man, lawfully armed on his own property, is wrongly killed. That's manslaughter. The deputies' judgement sucked.

"Andrew Scott was on the other side of that door, pointing a gun at the deputies, who did not announce themselves as law enforcement."

The deputies' judgement really sucked.

Lt. John Herrell: "When we knocked on the door, the door opened, and the occupant of that apartment was pointing a gun at the deputies, and that's when we opened fire and killed him."

No. The occupant of the apartment was pointing a gun at whoever knocked on his door. It is almost certain he was unaware they were law enforcement.

So, Lt. Herrell, you're training your men to open fire and kill honest, law-abiding citizens who exercise their Constitutional rights to protect themselves and their families against potential intruders? That's bizarre...

Lt. John Herrell: "This is just a bizarre set of circumstances...

No, you policies and the actions of your men are bizarre.

...but the bottom line is you point a gun at a deputy sheriff or a police officer you're going to get shot."

The bottom line, Lt. Herrell, is when law enforcement willfully disregards the Constitutional rights of THE PEOPLE, they wind up committing murder, or at least manslaughter. Then, Constitutionally illiterate people like you attempt to cover it up by slanting the truth while trying to paint a different picture.

Uh-uh. Ain't gonna work. Manslaughter due to A) Wrong address (failure to exercise due care) and B) Failure to follow protocol (didn't announce self as law enforcement), use sound judgement, and exercise reasonable precaution to ensure the safety of innocent civilian lives.

I smell a BIG FAT wrongful death lawsuit heading their way.

Last edited:

Ca Patriot

I have decided that if something suspicious is going on in or around my house late at night I am not going to even get my gun.

Here is the reason why.....

There are hundreds of thousands of home break ins every day in America. Far less than 1% of them end in injury or death to the home occupants.

So if you dont pull a gun, there is a 99% of greater chance you will be fine.

However, if the police come to your house and you have a gun, there is a 97% chance you are going to be shot down in a hail of bullets.

The police are more dangerous than criminals.

Last edited:

scott58dh

The takeaway . . . don't open the door at 1:30am. Period.

No Excuse for this MAJOR Foul up !

For future reference,,,, Call 9-1-1 !

Let the LEO's deal with the *Dark Nite* stuff, no pun intended.

This is a tragedy that should end with a Trial & Conviction of the OFFENSIVE actions of ALL (LEO) involved, from the top down !

davidmcbeth

Banned
The takeaway . . . don't open the door at 1:30am. Period.

Go around the house to gain a view of the front door area ... with your rifle & keep your distance. They want to shoot their pistols at a guy 150 feet away? They'll be waiting for the return fire from a rifle ... who wins that battle?

Not the guys with the pistols...

twoskinsonemanns

I know everyone can't afford it but with a little research and a small amount of cash you can put up a camera that will feed into your TV.
I have several cameras (two for the front door alone) that feed Audio/Video/Amplifiers that then feed the DVR system and also a RF modulator that split to all the TVs in the house.

When my dog barks, I change which ever TV I'm closest to, to the proper channel and can see anyone approaching.

Then the proper response can be administered. ;)

sudden valley gunner

I doubt he pointed his gun at anyone.......we only have one side of the story ....and it still smells like a rat.

P.S. Since, this isn't manslaughter, this is murder. Let's not let government thugs off with lesser charges because they happen to wear state issued Halloween costumes.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I have decided that if something suspicious is going on in or around my house late at night I am not going to even get my gun.

There are hundreds of thousands of home break ins every day in America. Far less than 1% of them end in injury or death to the home occupants.

However, if the police come to your house and you have a gun, there is a 97% chance you are going to be shot down in a hail of bullets.

Do you have any idea how many logical fallacies you just tripped over?

bigdaddy1

LOL, yeah, you go with that.:uhoh:
:eek:

twoskinsonemanns

Nice. Mind posting your address?

Seriously good luck looking yourself in the mirror the next morning if you sit there doing nothing when you have a chance to protect yourself if something goes wrong and someone you care about is hurt.

Ca Patriot

I just checked the stats for 2010 in my city of 126,422 people here in Los Angeles.

There were 389 "residential home burglaries".

There were 5 homicides.

Looking at the stats it appears "maybe" one of the homicdes involved a residential burglary.

I am guessing that in America the odds of being shot/killed by police when you point at gun at them is 100%.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Shut-in agoraphobics are practically never mugged on the street, either. Perhaps I should rethink my lifestyle.

F350

I just checked the stats for 2010 in my city of 126,422 people here in Los Angeles.

There were 389 "residential home burglaries".

There were 5 homicides.

Looking at the stats it appears "maybe" one of the homicdes involved a residential burglary.

I am guessing that in America the odds of being shot/killed by police when you point at gun at them is 100%.

HEY HEY HEY guys cut him some slack he's from Kalifonia we all know about "them".

I have 2 words to say Dr Petit".