Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You Got One!! Should I Get One?

You Got One!! Should I Get One?

In the market for getting a new gun when I get done driving over the road in a month! So far I like the springfield XD in 40 S&W. I will be using it as a OC firearm. Over all im looking for a med weight med to lg caliber. I currently use a 1911 and its just to uncomfortable to carry around all the time. I know this site is full of people who own a trillion guns so please let me here your thoughts on guns you acctually own. I am also looking to keep it to around $1,000 give or take a couple 100

Things I look for in a OC firearm:

1) LG magazine (10 to 15)
    2) Med to LG cal.
    3) Durability (does it have a reputation for fireing unexpectedly)
    4) LITTLE OR NO PLASTIC ( I used to play with toy guns....)
    5) Med to light weight
    6) Decock
    7) Grip safety

P.S I have a 1911 so I am looking to get something different to expand my collection of......well two
    I do love it though and will be getting more the second I can afford it.

Absolutely love my springfield XD 40. Very comfortable for my hands, nice weight to it. I would say the weight is more towards the medium end of the spectrum. It is very reliable. And you will spend about half of your budgeted 1000 on it.

Beretta Px4 Series is a good series. The full size and compact size have a rotating barrel system rather than a traditional tilt up design which allows the barrel to stay on target. As with other Beretta's it has been reliable. Its a little heavier, but I think its due to the quality and design. The compact version fits quite well in the hand and handles nice. It comes in under your priceline by a fair amount.

I also love my full size XDm, more so the 19+1 large magazine. This is my primary carry, which shows its reliability.
    Last edited by slapmonkay; 07-17-2012 at 09:13 PM.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHoneySmacks View Post
    Absolutely love my springfield XD 40. Very comfortable for my hands, nice weight to it. I would say the weight is more towards the medium end of the spectrum. It is very reliable. And you will spend about half of your budgeted 1000 on it.
    I love my XDm 40 for all the above reasons. It's my favorite right now.

==========================================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

I like that Px4

Comfort carrying has more to do with the carry rig than the gun. I carried a S&W M28 for years as well as a 1911, never did either feel uncomfortable. And the 28 is a big heavy gun.

im using a serpa blackhawk. I think its a good holster. I use the paddel and put it so that the bottom of the paddle is resting in my pocket. Maby I need a better belt because it constantly pulling it down.

Sig Sauer makes some real nice guns. Sig P229, Sig P226, Sig 938.

http://www.sigsauer.com/
    watch your top knot !

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    2) Med to LG cal.
    5) Med to light weight
    6) Decock
    7) Grip safety
    I own and daily carry a XD .40 service model, so take this response with any necessary grains of salt (because I love this gun);

1) The service model comes with a 12 round magazine, but the great thing about XDs is that any XD magazine will work in another XD (flowing downhill, of course). If you want a high capacity magazine, you can drop the 16 round tactical magazine in.
    2) .40 S&W is great for me, I don't see it as where you go if you can't decide between 9mm and .45, I see it as where you go when you like both of those calibers and want the best of both worlds.
    3) Personal Defence? The Best Weapon? There's a show on Sportsmans (can't remember the name off hand sorry) that beat the heck out of the XD and XDm. Froze it, dropped it, ran it over, they both looked like rubbish when they were done... fired every time, no malfunctions and never lost accuracy. It's called eXtreme Duty for a reason.
    4) It is a polymer frame. If you don't like polymer, you may want to go Sig on this one. Unlike a lot of Smith and Wesson's own firearms though the internals are all rock solid (ie, alloy guide rod, not a plastic one), and you can even upgrade to a slightly heavier rod that claims to reduce your flip (not that there's a whole lot to begin with).
    5) Fully loaded I could forget it was there.
    6) Again, this is something you might want to look at Sig for if it's a necessity. I carry my XD in condition one, and only ever drop the magazine and lock the slide back if I'm handing it off (rare, except when me and my wife are shooting together) or if I have to put it away for some reason.
    7) That, the trigger, and the one in between your ears. She's ready to fire the instant you draw from your holster.

well so far im stuck between the XD and the Px4. Im still leaning closer to the XD because of the grip safety. It just makes sense to me. I have been looking at the Sig but I dont know. They are a little more pricey. but still keep em coming. And I should probably mention that I am interested in full size more than compact.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/27651

Been thing of this one to. But I would have to get the night sights for it. That front site is so big you could paddle down stream!
    Last edited by Tanner; 07-18-2012 at 01:11 AM. Reason: add

Can't go wrong with an XD.

Personal opinion? That looks like a horrible 1911 knockoff. What's up with that front sight??

Quote Originally Posted by mwaterous View Post
    Personal opinion? That looks like a horrible 1911 knockoff. What's up with that front sight??
    I agree about the sight which is why if I ever got one I would change that right away. But I kind of like how old and clunky it looks. Anyways I doubt this is the one I will get
    Last edited by Tanner; 07-18-2012 at 01:59 PM.

It's a Hi-Power, a fantastic handgun. The front sight is high most likely due to the adjustable sight. A browning Hi-Power is a work of art, one of the best firearms ever made.

In the market for getting a new gun when I get done driving over the road in a month! So far I like the springfield XD in 40 S&W. I will be using it as a OC firearm. Over all im looking for a med weight med to lg caliber. I currently use a 1911 and its just to uncomfortable to carry around all the time. I know this site is full of people who own a trillion guns so please let me here your thoughts on guns you acctually own. I am also looking to keep it to around $1,000 give or take a couple 100

Things I look for in a OC firearm:

2) Med to LG cal.
    5) Med to light weight

6) Decock
    7) Grip safety
    I love my CZ 85 B, but I wish it were the BD (decocker) model.

As for grip safeties, I've read too many stories about Glocks and their grip safeties to trust them further than I can drop them. I'll take a holster, retention, trigger-relieved firing pin block, and a six-lb trigger pull over a grip safety any day of the week.

P.S I have a 1911 so I am looking to get something different to expand my collection of......well two
    I do love it though and will be getting more the second I can afford it.
    Take a look at CZ. Their full frames are very 1911-ish.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Well,,,

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    I love my CZ 85 B, but I wish it were the BD (decocker) model.

As for grip safeties, I've read too many stories about Glocks and their grip safeties to trust them further than I can drop them. I'll take a holster, retention, trigger-relieved firing pin block, and a six-lb trigger pull over a grip safety any day of the week.

Take a look at CZ. Their full frames are very 1911-ish.
    I dont know what to say,,, to since9...

I would like to inspect the glocks you would not trust further than you can drop them, because of their grip safeties...
    HINT... no glocks have grip safeties!!!

Also,,, a cz 85 is very 1911-ish, the same way a 4 speed grand torino is very chevy belair-ish...

But a cz85 bd would be quite a good fit for your wants, except not having a grip safety, but then
    since you wold not be carrying cocked, who needs one...
    Oh and the cz is only 9 mm,,, so again, its out...

very few guns are made with grip safeties anyway..
    I would only want one if I planned to carry in condition zero and that would only be
    an XD or a 1911,,, but the XD is plastic,,, so that wont help you..

sigh.....
    Last edited by 1245A Defender; 07-19-2012 at 02:10 AM.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

well,,,

I own and daily carry a XD .40 service model, so take this response with any necessary grains of salt (because I love this gun);

1) The service model comes with a 12 round magazine, but the great thing about XDs is that any XD magazine will work in another XD (flowing downhill, of course). If you want a high capacity magazine, you can drop the 16 round tactical magazine in.
    2) .40 S&W is great for me, I don't see it as where you go if you can't decide between 9mm and .45, I see it as where you go when you like both of those calibers and want the best of both worlds.
    3) Personal Defence? The Best Weapon? There's a show on Sportsmans (can't remember the name off hand sorry) that beat the heck out of the XD and XDm. Froze it, dropped it, ran it over, they both looked like rubbish when they were done... fired every time, no malfunctions and never lost accuracy. It's called eXtreme Duty for a reason.
    4) It is a polymer frame. If you don't like polymer, you may want to go Sig on this one. Unlike a lot of Smith and Wesson's own firearms though the internals are all rock solid (ie, alloy guide rod, not a plastic one), and you can even upgrade to a slightly heavier rod that claims to reduce your flip (not that there's a whole lot to begin with).
    5) Fully loaded I could forget it was there.
    6) Again, this is something you might want to look at Sig for if it's a necessity. I carry my XD in condition one, and only ever drop the magazine and lock the slide back if I'm handing it off (rare, except when me and my wife are shooting together) or if I have to put it away for some reason.
    7) That, the trigger, and the one in between your ears. She's ready to fire the instant you draw from your holster.
    prey tell,,,, how do you do that,,,
    with a gun that has NO external safety?

you actually have only two choices with an XD,,,,
    condition two, empty chamber, cocked or not.
    condition zero, loaded chamber...
    an XD is always cocked unless its not loaded,,,
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Yea the glock with a grip safety confused me for a second. Started looking for one but I already knew that they dident make any. Also the grip safety isent a must. I like to have it but really im just looking for a all around good OC gun.

Besides the less than informed statement about the glock I looked at some of the CZs and like them.
    They are a bit on the heavy side. Here are the two I like

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/78038

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/78038

1245A Defender CZs come in more than just 9mm from what I can see

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    prey tell,,,, how do you do that,,,
    with a gun that has NO external safety?

you actually have only two choices with an XD,,,,
    condition two, empty chamber, cocked or not.
    condition zero, loaded chamber...
    an XD is always cocked unless its not loaded,,,
    I've always heard (which doesn't make it true) that striker fired sidearms such as Glock, Springfield, S&W, etc... are considered condition one because the safeties (Glock with it's safe action, Springfield with the backstrap, etc) can't be disabled while holstered. Since the safety is disabled by the process of drawing my firearm it would seem to be in condition one. I have also heard, in double checking that I'm not completely talking sideways right now, that this is a matter of great debate, and has as of yet not been decided one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    It's a Hi-Power, a fantastic handgun. The front sight is high most likely due to the adjustable sight. A browning Hi-Power is a work of art, one of the best firearms ever made.
    I definitely wasn't speaking to the quality of the firearm itself, given that I have no experience with it. I know aesthetics aren't important to most people, but in this case that front sight just looks like a huge out of place wart to me!

I definitely wasn't speaking to the quality of the firearm itself, given that I have no experience with it. I know aesthetics aren't important to most people, but in this case that front sight just looks like a huge out of place wart to me!
    That is a perfect way to describe that fron sight

That is a perfect way to describe that fron sight
    Well personally I don't care much for adjustable sights on a combat handgun, but as far as looks if I cared, a finely polished and crafted handgun would get my vote for a handgun collection rather than what looks like a plastic toy gun though they function fine and serve the same purpose. Pictures do not do a Hi-Power justice, and has anyone seen the height of the sites on adjustable sited ruger revolvers?

Simple solution buy a handgun with fixed sights. Just decide whether to buy a handgun that will last forever, that has reputation as solid as a mountain, and will only increase in value if well cared for. Or ya can buy a piece of functional plastic. Nothing personal I would take the Hi-Power any day, and twice on Sunday.

Activist Member
    I like my Beretta 92. It is mostly metal, and fits most of the criteria other than grip safety. With Mec-Gar 18 round flush fit mags it holds a handful of rounds.

I think it is a good choice to complement a 1911 too. Then you'd have the civilian equivalent of the main handguns that have been used by the military in the last 100 years.

The 96 is the same gun in .40 caliber.
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 07-20-2012 at 04:00 PM.

2) Med to LG cal.
    5) Med to light weight
    6) Decock
    7) Grip safety
    First off, I love my XD. It was my first semi that I bought. I have been shooting guns my whole life, and spent about a year prior to purchasing just shooting different pistols (I'd estimate 1,500-2,000 rounds total). I kept a "diary" of all of them, just to ensure I remembered my thoughts on them. For the price, feel, durability, company reputation, ect, you can't go wrong with the XD. As I mentioned, I shot all manner of Glocks, 1911s, Sigs, FNs, CZ, Berettas, ect, and found the XD40 Service to be the best overall.

1) Standard is 12 (unless CA, then 10), so that fits in there perfectly. There are many aftermarket extended base-plates that can add 4 or so more rounds. There's a 20-rounded you can get (Once I added the +4 base-plate to use when bump-firing. Can't get much more higher capacity than that). I have many of them, and they work flawlessly. I don't OC with them tho; just at the range.
    2) .40S&W fits that. I would probably consider it a large pistol caliber (medium if you're looking at calibers in general). Packs more of a punch than the 9mm, but can fit more than the .45. Not gonna resurrect the caliber war here, but the way I see it, if it was a bad round, it wouldn't be so popular.
    3) That it is. As someone stated, hence the "X-treme Duty." Can't find it right now, but I stumbled across a blog/website, where they did the Glock torture test, but with at least 5 times as many rounds for every stage. This totaling about 20,000 with almost no cleaning.
    4&5) If you don't want plastic, then it's gonna be a heavy gun. Conversely, if you don't want a heavy gun, you're gonna have to have plastic. All I can say is, the XD polymer is extremely tough. On the off chance that a factory round blows it up, or a manufacturing defect caused weak plastic, Springfield will be more than happy to make it right.
    6) Why? I personally don't see any reason for these. It is possible for these to fail and render your gun nonoperational. Then all you have is a pretty looking rock. I want the fewest things that can go wrong in a life-and-death scenario. If you're uncomfortable carrying a firearm with a round in the pipe and ready to fire, then frankly, you shouldn't be carrying. These guns are made to not go bang unless you have a proper grip and pull the trigger. Learn how to use your firearm, how it works, and the only safety you will need is your brain.
    7) Similar to #6. I don't see a reason for these. At least with grip safeties, you don't need to think about disengaging them. Also, they are almost 100% fail-safe, meaning if they fail, only the safety is affected. The firearm will still operate.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
    XD40 Service
    -Hogue Handall grip sleeve
    -Nebo Protec Elite light/laser
    -TruGlo TFO night sights
    Olympic Arms K16-SST
    -16" stainless bull-barrel
    -Quad-rail forearm
    -Millet SP2 red-dot scope
    -Fore grip w/ bi-pod
    -Nebo Protec Elite light/laser
    KelTec P11
    -Bone stock; Not much you can do to these little guys.
    No one can make a pencil...

I'm a SIG & H&K fan but if you can't afford those you might consider an FNH pistol. I have the FNP-45 which has 14/15+1 capacity in 45acp! I think the 40S&W version is 16 rounds but am to tired to look it up right now.

I wanted a higher-normal capacity 45acp gun and the Sig was 8+1 the H&K USP was 12+1 so the FNP-45 wound up being the better capacity overall. The FNH's run around $650 and come with three magazines. I have been running the FNP-45 in some competitions and it has been working great. It also has ambidextrous magazine release and decocker/thumb safety. They come with or without the thumb safety and I have the one without a thumb safety just the decocker. It has a DA/SA trigger and it is similar to the SIG's at around 10/4.5lbs.

I believe DJEEPER (in Hampton) carries a 40S&W XDm and likes it alot so I don't think you can go wrong with an XDm. I admit that the larger capacity of the 40S&W guns was tempting until I shot a few of them. I prefer the recoil from a 45acp pistol. Once I found a higher-normal capacity 45acp gun I stopped looking at smaller calibers. :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast