• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You Got One!! Should I Get One?

Tanner

In the market for getting a new gun when I get done driving over the road in a month! So far I like the springfield XD in 40 S&W. I will be using it as a OC firearm. Over all im looking for a med weight med to lg caliber. I currently use a 1911 and its just to uncomfortable to carry around all the time. I know this site is full of people who own a trillion guns so please let me here your thoughts on guns you acctually own. I am also looking to keep it to around $1,000 give or take a couple 100

Things I look for in a OC firearm:

1) LG magazine (10 to 15)
2) Med to LG cal.
3) Durability (does it have a reputation for fireing unexpectedly)
4) LITTLE OR NO PLASTIC ( I used to play with toy guns....)
5) Med to light weight
6) Decock
7) Grip safety

P.S I have a 1911 so I am looking to get something different to expand my collection of......well two:cry:
I do love it though and will be getting more the second I can afford it.

CaptainHoneySmacks

Absolutely love my springfield XD 40. Very comfortable for my hands, nice weight to it. I would say the weight is more towards the medium end of the spectrum. It is very reliable. :) And you will spend about half of your budgeted 1000 on it.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Beretta Px4 Series is a good series. The full size and compact size have a rotating barrel system rather than a traditional tilt up design which allows the barrel to stay on target. As with other Beretta's it has been reliable. Its a little heavier, but I think its due to the quality and design. The compact version fits quite well in the hand and handles nice. It comes in under your priceline by a fair amount.

I also love my full size XDm, more so the 19+1 large magazine. This is my primary carry, which shows its reliability.

Last edited:

Steeler-gal

Absolutely love my springfield XD 40. Very comfortable for my hands, nice weight to it. I would say the weight is more towards the medium end of the spectrum. It is very reliable. :) And you will spend about half of your budgeted 1000 on it.

I love my XDm 40 for all the above reasons. It's my favorite right now.

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

WalkingWolf

Comfort carrying has more to do with the carry rig than the gun. I carried a S&W M28 for years as well as a 1911, never did either feel uncomfortable. And the 28 is a big heavy gun.

Tanner

im using a serpa blackhawk. I think its a good holster. I use the paddel and put it so that the bottom of the paddle is resting in my pocket. Maby I need a better belt because it constantly pulling it down.

mwaterous

2) Med to LG cal.
5) Med to light weight
6) Decock
7) Grip safety

I own and daily carry a XD .40 service model, so take this response with any necessary grains of salt (because I love this gun);

1) The service model comes with a 12 round magazine, but the great thing about XDs is that any XD magazine will work in another XD (flowing downhill, of course). If you want a high capacity magazine, you can drop the 16 round tactical magazine in.
2) .40 S&W is great for me, I don't see it as where you go if you can't decide between 9mm and .45, I see it as where you go when you like both of those calibers and want the best of both worlds.
3) Personal Defence? The Best Weapon? There's a show on Sportsmans (can't remember the name off hand sorry) that beat the heck out of the XD and XDm. Froze it, dropped it, ran it over, they both looked like rubbish when they were done... fired every time, no malfunctions and never lost accuracy. It's called eXtreme Duty for a reason.
4) It is a polymer frame. If you don't like polymer, you may want to go Sig on this one. Unlike a lot of Smith and Wesson's own firearms though the internals are all rock solid (ie, alloy guide rod, not a plastic one), and you can even upgrade to a slightly heavier rod that claims to reduce your flip (not that there's a whole lot to begin with).
5) Fully loaded I could forget it was there.
6) Again, this is something you might want to look at Sig for if it's a necessity. I carry my XD in condition one, and only ever drop the magazine and lock the slide back if I'm handing it off (rare, except when me and my wife are shooting together) or if I have to put it away for some reason.
7) That, the trigger, and the one in between your ears. She's ready to fire the instant you draw from your holster.

Tanner

well so far im stuck between the XD and the Px4. Im still leaning closer to the XD because of the grip safety. It just makes sense to me. I have been looking at the Sig but I dont know. They are a little more pricey. but still keep em coming. And I should probably mention that I am interested in full size more than compact.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_145/products_id/27651

Been thing of this one to. But I would have to get the night sights for it. That front site is so big you could paddle down stream!

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

It's a Hi-Power, a fantastic handgun. The front sight is high most likely due to the adjustable sight. A browning Hi-Power is a work of art, one of the best firearms ever made.

since9

Campaign Veteran
In the market for getting a new gun when I get done driving over the road in a month! So far I like the springfield XD in 40 S&W. I will be using it as a OC firearm. Over all im looking for a med weight med to lg caliber. I currently use a 1911 and its just to uncomfortable to carry around all the time. I know this site is full of people who own a trillion guns so please let me here your thoughts on guns you acctually own. I am also looking to keep it to around $1,000 give or take a couple 100

Things I look for in a OC firearm:

2) Med to LG cal.
5) Med to light weight

6) Decock
7) Grip safety

I love my CZ 85 B, but I wish it were the BD (decocker) model.

As for grip safeties, I've read too many stories about Glocks and their grip safeties to trust them further than I can drop them. I'll take a holster, retention, trigger-relieved firing pin block, and a six-lb trigger pull over a grip safety any day of the week.

P.S I have a 1911 so I am looking to get something different to expand my collection of......well two:cry:
I do love it though and will be getting more the second I can afford it.

Take a look at CZ. Their full frames are very 1911-ish.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

I love my CZ 85 B, but I wish it were the BD (decocker) model.

As for grip safeties, I've read too many stories about Glocks and their grip safeties to trust them further than I can drop them. I'll take a holster, retention, trigger-relieved firing pin block, and a six-lb trigger pull over a grip safety any day of the week.

Take a look at CZ. Their full frames are very 1911-ish.

I dont know what to say,,, to since9...

I would like to inspect the glocks you would not trust further than you can drop them, because of their grip safeties...
HINT... no glocks have grip safeties!!!

Also,,, a cz 85 is very 1911-ish, the same way a 4 speed grand torino is very chevy belair-ish...

But a cz85 bd would be quite a good fit for your wants, except not having a grip safety, but then
since you wold not be carrying cocked, who needs one...
Oh and the cz is only 9 mm,,, so again, its out...

very few guns are made with grip safeties anyway..
I would only want one if I planned to carry in condition zero and that would only be
an XD or a 1911,,, but the XD is plastic,,, so that wont help you..

sigh.....

Last edited:

1245A Defender

well,,,

I own and daily carry a XD .40 service model, so take this response with any necessary grains of salt (because I love this gun);

1) The service model comes with a 12 round magazine, but the great thing about XDs is that any XD magazine will work in another XD (flowing downhill, of course). If you want a high capacity magazine, you can drop the 16 round tactical magazine in.
2) .40 S&W is great for me, I don't see it as where you go if you can't decide between 9mm and .45, I see it as where you go when you like both of those calibers and want the best of both worlds.
3) Personal Defence? The Best Weapon? There's a show on Sportsmans (can't remember the name off hand sorry) that beat the heck out of the XD and XDm. Froze it, dropped it, ran it over, they both looked like rubbish when they were done... fired every time, no malfunctions and never lost accuracy. It's called eXtreme Duty for a reason.
4) It is a polymer frame. If you don't like polymer, you may want to go Sig on this one. Unlike a lot of Smith and Wesson's own firearms though the internals are all rock solid (ie, alloy guide rod, not a plastic one), and you can even upgrade to a slightly heavier rod that claims to reduce your flip (not that there's a whole lot to begin with).
5) Fully loaded I could forget it was there.
6) Again, this is something you might want to look at Sig for if it's a necessity. I carry my XD in condition one, and only ever drop the magazine and lock the slide back if I'm handing it off (rare, except when me and my wife are shooting together) or if I have to put it away for some reason.
7) That, the trigger, and the one in between your ears. She's ready to fire the instant you draw from your holster.

prey tell,,,, how do you do that,,,
with a gun that has NO external safety?

you actually have only two choices with an XD,,,,
condition two, empty chamber, cocked or not.
condition zero, loaded chamber...
an XD is always cocked unless its not loaded,,,

Tanner

Yea the glock with a grip safety confused me for a second. Started looking for one but I already knew that they dident make any. Also the grip safety isent a must. I like to have it but really im just looking for a all around good OC gun.

Besides the less than informed statement about the glock I looked at some of the CZs and like them.
They are a bit on the heavy side. Here are the two I like

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/78038

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/78038

1245A Defender CZs come in more than just 9mm from what I can see

mwaterous

prey tell,,,, how do you do that,,,
with a gun that has NO external safety?

you actually have only two choices with an XD,,,,
condition two, empty chamber, cocked or not.
condition zero, loaded chamber...
an XD is always cocked unless its not loaded,,,

I've always heard (which doesn't make it true) that striker fired sidearms such as Glock, Springfield, S&W, etc... are considered condition one because the safeties (Glock with it's safe action, Springfield with the backstrap, etc) can't be disabled while holstered. Since the safety is disabled by the process of drawing my firearm it would seem to be in condition one. I have also heard, in double checking that I'm not completely talking sideways right now, that this is a matter of great debate, and has as of yet not been decided one way or another. :)

mwaterous

It's a Hi-Power, a fantastic handgun. The front sight is high most likely due to the adjustable sight. A browning Hi-Power is a work of art, one of the best firearms ever made.

I definitely wasn't speaking to the quality of the firearm itself, given that I have no experience with it. I know aesthetics aren't important to most people, but in this case that front sight just looks like a huge out of place wart to me! :D